• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
You'd just be escalating the situation, bravetailor. A lot of people overly dislike Shana because when it started airing it had a lot of fanboys talking about how great it was. The whole moe/tsundere fan crowd was gushing over the show like it was the Second Coming. I find it generic and bland, trying to be too many genres at once and failing at least one of them (romance in the second season).

That's just it though. There are countless hundreds of shows that are just the same as you described. To me it doesn't stick out as either better or worse than them. I don't see the point in reacting negatively to hype; react objectively to the show, not the hype. But if they truly, truly, think, say, Shana or Haruhi or Naruto are the worst things ever, then OK. I just don't sense that's the case in some of the lists.

Quote:

Also, since it was based on a thread of best/worst of the decade, I believe one should at least comprehend the difference between your opinion/taste and the series' quality/value.

Certainly. There are plenty of shows I dislike or SERIOUSLY rub me the wrong way that are still obviously quality and/or decent productions when taken objectively. I wouldn't put them anywhere near my turkey list either. I actually think more thought would have to be put into a "Worst" list than a "Best" list because a heck of a lot of factors have to fail catastophically to be considered truly bad.
Fuusamurai

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:36 pm Reply with quote
It's so nice to be back on this site after a long break.

Here is my top 10 anime - and not in order.

The 10 best anime in my opinion:

Beyond (one of the short films from Animatrix):
Beyond is calm and consists of a very simple and naive story. And that is its strength. The animation is delicious and the soundtrack and sounds fit perfectly and create a very special atmosphere. Koji Morimoto creates a unique and childish and (most importantly an) unlimited world. So nice.

Tekkonkinkreet: The animation is stunning - every single picture is an artwork itself. The story of the two low lives in the raw and violent environment is moving and the relationship between the characters gets more multi-faceted everytime I watch the movie.

Haibane renmei: I like the slow tempo in which the serial is told. The melancholic, quiet mood follows the characters constantly. I'm amazed how well rounded the live of Haibane and the whole universe in the serial are depicted - without giving any details away and in only 13 episodes. The lack of knowledge and the uncertainty about the Haibanes destiny result in a very sad atmosphere - and you get to feel how fragile they are.

Lovely Complex:
This serial is funny and sweet and I could relate to it because I'm a tall girl too - so all the height-jokes and -issues were really fun for me to watch. And I think that it is refreshing to watch two characters who isn't in the typical boy-and-girl relationship (the tall and protective man and the soft, little and scared woman). That made me like them even more.

Full Metal Alchemist: I've got a great sympathy for this serial- it is surprisingly original. Sometimes a bit heavy to watch - but that's okay when it's dealing with such big subjects as family bonds, guilt, death, "nemesis" and so on. The bonds between the two brothers are really fine depicted.

Cowboy Bebop: This serial was for me all about the atmosphere and the city scenery: When Spike or Jet are looking for someone and are wandering around in a city full of all kinds of people and colors, the calm moments when the characters are bored, fishing or just being next to each other. The moods in the serial are simply fantastic and of course the music and the animation play a great role to that.

Samurai Champloo:
I was, after watching cowboy bebop, amazed that the two serials weren't similar - at all. Samurai Champloo hasn't got the extraordinary animation nor the silent atmospheric view over cityscapes and everyday situations. But I think that the 3 main characters relationship throughout the serial develops much more than the relationship between the bebop crew. And that brings a lot of melancholy and depth into the serial - in a way I didn't see in Cowboy Bebop. This serial deals with the aspects of friendship in a very discreet way, which I absolutely love. The street culture that is everywhere in the serial is great and Samurai Champloo has it's own kind of style.

Akira: After watching Akira over and over again I realize that Akira is unique and incomparable to anything. The story and the animation are very heavy - and the movie isn't 'fun'/easy to watch - but it sticks with you and the more you are watching it - the more its heaviness becomes an advantage.

Spirited away: I'm a Miyazaki fan and this film is one of his best in my opinion. I like it because it doesn't feel so moralizing as Miyazaki's other movies - it's more light and Miyazaki really unfold/unleash his imagination and shows us what a great storyteller he is and how he masters to bring characters to life. And of course his melancholy-gene is still intact; the train ride scene is one of my most beloved anime scenes.

That was 9 - and I think that's enough from me (its a little hard for me to write in English Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop ), so the 5 worst anime have to wait.
jda95

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Yes, my list is ever so slightly insane. Most anime I have watched consist of revisiting old things that I watched dubbed as a kid. And I don't really have a least favorites list because I have only watched 12 anime total, and all I have loved, as I choose things carefully.

1. Dragon Ball/Z/GT
Yes, yes. It isn't a technical or psychological masterpiece, but the combination of the characters, the action, and the comedy make an excellent, entertaining show. The original Dragon Ball is the best series as it focuses more on an "adventure" aspect, instead of fighting. And GT isn't that bad.

2. Cardcaptor Sakura
An incredible, adorable, witty, timeless love story. The design is beautiful. The characters seem real. And even the action scenes are fun to watch.

3. One Piece
The true successor to Dragon Ball, and it's even better. The characters all have a deep backstory and a reason to fight, and they each have a unique, wacky ability. And it's happy.

4. Lucky Star
It's hilarious and you know it.

5. Death Note
The best anime I have seen. The game between Kira and L/Near/Mello is exciting and thought provoking.
honghsien5

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:10 pm Reply with quote
My top list:

6.Code Geass /R2: this anime was surprisingly inspiring(i guess). The anime consists of deep tactic, relationship and robot fight. Total plot was unique too. The music are pretty good too(not the best imo though)

5.K-On: i just finished this recently and this is definitely a must watched anime for anyone who wants some funny, relaxing experience. i thought it would be kind of immature at first to watch anime but i was finally dragged into this world because of the ending(yeah, i sometimes watch because of the music). And this anime turned out to be an totally different experience than what i expected.

4.Neo Genesis Evangelion (both movie and anime): i was introduced into this world by the hype and the music. The total mood of the anime was surprisingly heavy. I thought this would be a robot fighting anime like Tengen toppa Anime hyper. But in the end, this anime proved to be a phenomenon. Well placed and unique plot with incredible robot fights and relationship among the characters. you can never guess what will happen next. Very Happy.

3.Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood: i watched the original one first and i was totally confused by the plot since it was completely different than the manga. So, after i finish the first one, i moved onto the Brotherhood and totally sucked into the world of Alchemy. The Brotherhood has intriguing plot and character development that wasn't found in the original one. Even though it hasn't finished yet, but i can definitely put this anime onto my top 3. Btw, all of the music are AWESOME!!! especially the ED2 "let it out".

2.Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: An EPIC anime that i was not interested at all first and then it suddenly became one of my favorite anime of all time. A well-done anime combined with romance, epicness, mecha battle, comedy. all of these elements are so perfected that i want to watch it again. BTW the ending really really gave me some uneraceble feelings.

1. Gundam Seed: unbelievable right? despite of the bad reputation from various sites. i still consider this anime as my No.1 anime. The reason is because this was the first and only anime that got me into the anime world. Deep relationship, good plot, flashy mech battles really attracted me into the world of gundam.

I'm surprised that most of my top rated anime are robot animes Anime hyper.

Unfortunate ones:

.hack//sign: i am a follower of the .hack series because of the games on PS2. So i endured the whole season without really knowing what i was watching. The whole scene was heavy and complicated. The end was quite disappointing too.

Bleach: OK.... first maybe 20 episodes was really fun. but after a while it gets really REALLY boring...
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote
10, eh? I'll stick to that, then.

10. Lucky Star - This show is good, clean otaku fun, and I appreciate it. I can pick it up any time and watch it with friends and family who are fellow otaku. I can bring it up any time – it’s presence is never unwelcome. And it’s everywhere. It’s got memorable characters who worm their way into my conscience and never go away. It’s a show that may not fill me with emotion or inspiration, but it will always work for me, always be a good time, and it reminds me why I’m an otaku. Besides, it’s a damn gorgeous production by Kyoto Animation, who are almost always a must-watch studio anyway. I can’t say Lucky Star is a must-watch, and it certainly shouldn’t have been seen by as many people as it was because it had no place for many of them, but it is nonetheless a genuinely great show.

9. ef ~a tale of memories~ - The first thing that ef does to grab the viewer is provide a uniquely intense visual experience courtesy of studio SHAFT. Then it pours on a heart-wrenching romance drama full of great characters who are all trying as hard as they can to get their lives on track and experiencing all sorts of drama on the way. The series is brilliantly directed with some of the most memorable scenes you’ll likely ever see in a series and themes that resonate greatly with anyone whose ever wondered about their place in life. The best way I can describe my love for this show – the emotion I get when the story, characters, music, directing, and dialog combine is with the lyrics from the opening theme. “Be alive – take it – promise to find, yes I will – shining wings filled with wishes – Fly high – make it – get to the new world that I seek – someday, so I believe” – Euphoric Field

8. FLCL - “FLCL is an all-time classic if there ever was one. Eternally memorable music, visual style, and themes. A plot that’s so messy and convoluted one wouldn’t think it was possible to make heads or tails of it, but the narrative challenges its viewers to cut though all the WTFery of space pirates and conspiracies and wild animated cues to find at its core a simpler, relatable, down-to-earth story. It’s an anime that can be enjoyed on so many different levels, its no wonder so many love it to this day.” – a great description by Kadian1364 on this crazy classic from the brilliant minds at studio GAINAX and the hard work and guts of director Kazuya Tsurumaki.

7. Serial Experiments Lain - Mind-blower and crazy fun, but important for being the first and best Yoshitoshi ABe major work as well as having one of the most awesome and subtly developed main characters in anime history. Lain is mai waifu.

6. End of Evangelion - An ending. An angel’s head. A gun in a Gendo’s hand. NERV. Another ending. A N2 mine. A sand mound. Orange liquid. A rape. A see of red.

5. Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight - Manabi is hilarious and heartwarming and full of superb characters, and it has a heart bigger than the sun itself. But more importantly, it is empowering. It is unilaterally positive, while not naive. It is a show that says ‘we aren’t saying you can do it blindly. We really mean that you can do anything, even if it looks all wrong.’ Has my single favorite ending of all time.

4. Infinite Ryvius - Infinite Ryvius is the most ‘perfect’ anime that I’ve ever seen. Airtight production, plot, and a cast of so many characters with so much personality that it’s nearly impossible to believe that the series was only 26 episodes long. And yet it’s true – Infinite Ryvius is a masterpiece, and an emotional roller-coaster ride. A must-watch.

3. Toradora - Ryuuji is a man who was born with a constant scowl on his face, so in spite of his unilaterally good nature, everyone is afraid of him. Taiga is a girl with a kind heart who is misunderstood as having a bad attitude which only makes her attitude worse. No one understands them, so there’s no one better than them to understand each-other. Meanwhile there’s no shortage of comedy and drama as they and their friends experience fun times, hard falls, and a whirlwind of love and emotion. Toradora in the context of it’s appearance and the time that it was made looks like what you would call ‘just another moe romance’, but as you can see, in reality, it is so much more. It is a deep and thoughtful tale of love between two of – no, THE two greatest characters that I have ever had the pleasure of watching and filled me with boundless emotions as I watched it’s warm and heartfelt story play out.

2. Gintama - What has happened with Gintama is that by making a story set in a cross-section of history and sci-fi with a character whose place in life is totally undefined, literally ANYTHING can happen in the series – and it damn well will. Gintama is a freaking hilarious parody comedy series whose success is precisely in it’s incredible length. It’s not just that every kind of story ever made has been parodied and referenced in Gintama – Gintama has literally BEEN every kind of series. It can be a pure comedy in one episode, a drama in the next, a shounen action series for one, a gag comedy, a sit-com, a character-driven adventure – it can be anything and it WILL. And it handles each and every story to perfection. What’s more, it is without flaw – the production quality is a non-issue as a high or low budget can become the actual plot of the episode. Just about every great voice actor that I can name has a place in the series. Every member of the massive cast of characters is memorable and great and there are more of them than you can count. The soundtrack is superb, the opening and endings are great, the writing is gold, and in spite of being a kids show, it can literally get away with ANYTHING from good portions of the show taking place in the red light district to themes of drug addiction and turbo-violence. What makes Gintama my favorite anime of the decade? It. Is. Everything.

1. Eureka Seven - Of all the anime I’ve seen, this is the most well-constructed in every way, and no other show has made me care about everything in it so much. Every character is memorable, and Renton and Eureka are spectacular. Possibly the only show that I can’t say anything negative about. I never wanted it to end, though the ending was beautiful. Studio Bones really pulled through on everything from art and animation to music, writing, and organizing a massive staff of directors, actors, and animators to create a consistent and fully realized masterpiece.

For anyone curious, my next 5 would be: Cowboy Bebop, Simoun, Baccano!, Rurouni Kenshin Tsuiokuhen, and the Higurashi series.

Oh, and this thread also asks for the worst five? Without contest: Ninja Resurrection, Kai Doh Maru, Legend of Duo, Garzey's Wing, and... I can't come up with a fifth.

My list is always pretty susceptible to change, since I am always watching and rewatching shows, but this is a pretty comfortable top 10. I wish I could have squeezed Cowboy Bebop in, though, since I feel it's right about on that same level.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ZoraPrime

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Let me start off by saying I am relatively new to anime, so my list will be abridged to represent that, and moreover somewhat cliche. I have played JRPGs, so a lot of my criteria are based on how I judge JRPG stories and the lot. That said...

5.) Claymore. To illustrate what I think of Claymore, I will use textiles of all things as an example. Claymore looks like a cloth made of generic threads, but how those threads are weaved together is spectacular. Claymore's raw elements are archetypal, if not cliche, but everything comes together to provide an enjoyable experience. I would love to see other anime's follow Claymore's example: It isn't just the threads you use, but also how you weave them. There are some anime's that I have seen that had laudable elements, but how everything came together was meshy. But, Claymore was the opposite, so it garners my respect for that reason.

4.) Fullmetal Alchemist (2003): I'm probably a bit bias here, since FMA was effectively the first anime I saw back in 2007ish. I was blown away by the story. While I may not think of the anime as highly as when I first watched it, as I am rewatching it for my second time now, I still respect Fullmetal Alchemist. I felt the portrayal of the military was a very praiseworthy element, and made the anime feel like it had some substances beyond being entertainment. Overall, the action, the quality, the personae and characters-everything comes together well in a very enjoyable anime.

3.) Neon Genesis Evangelion: Oh noes! Some fanboys cry. But, I love it, says I! Okay, enough fancy-smancy poetry. *ahem* Neon Genesis Evangelion is a bit of a mind-blowing anime, especially the ending movie. The show has a nice, albeit far from perfect, rhythm of character development and action that allows someone who likes both equally enjoy this anime even more. The insight about identity is also very enjoyable, but that was probably because I was going through identity problems at the time. To illustrate how bad that was, let's just say I could relate to the original episode 25&26 perfectly. Nevertheless, I digressed.

2.) Last Exile: Last Exile was my favorite for a long time before my new number one took it over. Last Exile incorporates almost all of the elements I liked. It had nice "weaving" like Claymore. It had a nice action-story development flow ala NGE. The setting was very fascinating, and the element of aviation was rather refreshing where most flying is usually just some fancy spacecraft. The story, while often being archetypal, never comes off as cliche in a bad way: The story knows how to present itself. Oh, not to mention the beautiful art direction. Overall, Last Exile is just a well-crafted anime.

1.) Cowboy Bebop: *gasp!* Big surprise? Not really. Cowboy Bebop blew me away the first time I watched it, and just two months after renting it the first time I wanted to watch it again (which I can now do indefinitely). Cowboy Bebop is a series of disparate episodes talking about the Bebop crew. Much like Last Exile, it's how everything comes together: Music, atmosphere, art design, story, etc. Cowboy Bebop also had an excellent pacing. In the end, Cowboy Bebop is just pure fun.

And, well, that's my list at the moment.
coolkid3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:27 am Reply with quote
Best anime, eh? I have a different list of favorite anime series and different list also for what I think is the best among the rest...

BEST CATEGORY
(1) Monster - What I liked about the series is its completeness that's why I consider Monster as the best series ever made. Various realizations have been shown all throughout the series and various characters' development have been clearly illustrated.

(2) One Piece - Why is One Piece different from Naruto and Bleach? It's all about emotions. Not all anime can affect your emotion so much. Another plus factor of One Piece is its unique artstyle. The plot has been set in a way that the series does not look so drag on even if its relatively lengthy.

(3) Full Metal Alchemist - The thing I liked most about FMA is the reference to the 7 deadly sins. This series also tackles a lot about human nature.

(4) Detective Conan My all time favorite series; - This is about a highschool detective who was forced by a big time syndicate to drink a poison named APTX4869 that turned him back into a kid detective. IMO, this series is the most rewatchable of all series. You can also watch some random cases without getting lost cause they are totally unrelated to the plot. Another good characteristic of this series are the relatable and lovable characters.

(5) Welcome to the NHK - a very unique anime series indeed. And I must say that this series is pretty underrated. The whole conspiracy concept really got into me at some point but luckily I was able to shake it off quickly.

(6) Cowboy Bebop - a true classic. This series got good music too. Fight scenes are detailed. There are realizations each episode.

(7) Hajime No Ippo - best sports anime ever. The New Challenger is even funnier than the 1st anime adaptation. I wish Ippo would develop a Pacquiao-like technique when he becomes a World Champion (cause I think that would be his ultimate goal)

(8) Golden Boy - Oe Kintaro is best anime character ever. It's really sad that the OVA is just 6 episodes. There are more jobs that Kintaro can try.

(9) Death Note - Best anime rivalry ever L vs Kira. But the ending was predictable so I ranked it lower than the others. This series definitely has the best cliffhangers cause one would literally be at the edge of his seat while watching this series. Though the concept "absolute power corrupts" is an anime cliche, the approach of the series is very much different from the others.

(10) Hunter X Hunter - If not for the hiatus, HxH could have gotten a higher ranking. Like most of the series I've listed here, I find this series very relatable... This is the 1st anime series that made me pull out an all-nighter (that is the Greed Island OVA)

=================================

FAVORITES CATEGORY
(1) Detective Conan - Why is DC my all time favorite series? This is the closest series in my heart and the only series that can make me forget my personal problems instantly..

(2) Death Note - L is the main reason why this is my 2nd all time favorite (Please see above notes for further details)

(3) Monster - This series can be considered the most realistic series ever made and that's what I liked about it the most
(Please see above notes for further details)

(4) Detective Academy Q - Being a mystery-lover myself, DAQ isn't really a surprising pick. I've always dreamed of attending a real life school for detectives (but I don't want the police academy type of school)

(5) Golden Boy - This series is short but memorable. Not all ecchi series contains values that Golden Boy can offer

(6) Green Green - This series is my all-time favorite romance anime (Yes, you read it right!)... I'm aware that this series is obviously ecchi but if you would look on the romance side of things, this series isn't like the other ecchi series without a strong plot

(7) The Prince of Tennis - It's the hairstyle that amuses me. I tried copying a lot of hairstyles of various PoT characters... The rivalries of teams and players are also intense... You can also add the insane techniques of the players...

(8) Ouran High School Host Club - This series has awesome female lead character and that is Haruhi Fujioka (I may be that old right now but I'm not ashamed to admit that Haruhi Fujioka is my anime crush)... This series is as funny as hell...

(9) Hunter X Hunter - Aside from Pokemon (Ash and Pikachu), HxH is another great depiction of great anime friendship (Gon and Killua)... Its not like the obsessive friendship Naruto has become lately...

(10) One Piece - The Enies Lobby arc helped OP to get higher rankings on my favorite list... And it even got higher ranks with the recent turn of events in OP...

Last edited by coolkid3 on Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:11 am; edited 6 times in total
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:46 am Reply with quote
Remember people, listing isn't really acceptable. At least a little bit of info about the titles and what it is you really like about them would be nice. Some of these recently have bordered on blatant listing. Just a few words that really don't explain the selection doesn't really cut it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
coolkid3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:15 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Remember people, listing isn't really acceptable. At least a little bit of info about the titles and what it is you really like about them would be nice. Some of these recently have bordered on blatant listing. Just a few words that really don't explain the selection doesn't really cut it.

I'm guilty of that offense...I edited my post... I hope that's acceptable now... (Never thought that mods are that active here) I haven't been around for quite a while, that's why....
IncompetentOverlord

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen a whole lot of anime, so bear with me if any of the titles I list are ones that only a newbie would pick, okay?

1. Giant Robo
A sweeping, star wars-like story with excellent action and larger than life characters. The epic, sprawling feel of the narrative and unforgettable villains really draw you in. A masterpiece of anime direction that leaves most of Miyazaki's work in the dust.

2. Black Jack(OVA)
A fantastic medical melodrama from creator Osamu Tezuka and director Osamu Dezaki. The haunting beauty of some of the episodes has stuck with me in the months since I saw it. It's definitely not for everyone, but this little OVA left me satisfied.

3.One Piece
Quite Possibly the best Shone Action series ever created. The fight choreography isn't the best in the world, and the series is plagued with a few tired old cliches, but the passion of the author shines through in the work.

4. Genshiken
A realistic look at the nerd lifestyle that made me laugh at my own geekhood. The best anime comedy I have ever seen.

5. Kinnikuman: Nisei
While not the best artistic achievement, this series gets points for being incredibly unique and a large improvement over it's predecessor. Mantaro is an incredibly relatable protagonist that you can get behind.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I have similar situation as a coolkid3- I know that not all my favourites are masterpieces, and there are some masterpieces that I know are marvellous, but they don't apply to me- nearly all Ghibi stories for example. They are like crown jewels- to admire, but not to use.

So let's go

Hall of Fame- the best of all
1)Kino no Tabi
I've going around this series like dog around hedgehog. I've heard so much good things about it that I was sure I will be disappointed. i don't remember why I decided to give it a chance, but I was so charmed that I've watched all 12 episodes at once (it doesn't seem epic:) but it's strange for me). I can't write much about the plot, but just believe that every episode is like a gem and whole series is constructed like a necklace. I love every kind of jewellery Very Happy

2)Rose of Versailles
I was very lucky that I've seen it just after I decided to go back to anime. The first episode weren't impressive, but I like Marie Antoniette and I wanted to see how her history was shown. Oscar grabbed my sympathy later and she still stays one of my favourite heroines. Her concept was bizarre, but besides that she is shown in so realistic way that it wasn't hard to believe that once she existed. In one of the fan communities someone counted how often that strong woman cried. Many times, but every time I cried with her, and share her happiness. Not only Oscar took place in my heart- everyone there is a living being, formed by that strange epoque, feeling, thinking and making not always good decision. It was a rare case when after finishing series I didn't know if I liked the characters or not. I've talked about it many times and I'm still not bored. In addition to this it has beautiful soundtrack

3)Utena- My lovely, my precious that have been brought to me over the seas. I watch it every year and every time I see something new. Every time I talk about it everyone have different opinion about what had happened and who was who and everybody advance strong arguments for his idea. And music, music, wonderful music! What more can I desire?

4)Mononoke -I like that kind of series when I shouldn't miss a second to understand it. That strange mix of Japanese legends and western accents perfectly suits my tastes. Some people complain that the main protagonist is just a reason to show us the story, but for me it isn't disadvantage-I like that way of telling the stories. It have an atmosphere of ghost stories around campfire and a play at the same time.

5)Oniisama E- One author- Ikeda. One word- characters. They don't come out of nothing. The main protagonist have a parents(!) and they don't stay away(!!). The best slice of life I've ever seen. After every episode I thanked God that it's not slice of my life, but some situations seemed to me familiar enough to believe in it

6)Legend of Galactic Heroes- something from other hand. This series made me love "good 'ol sf" -with all this solemnity and naivety. I prefer talking to moving and council of war appeal to me more than random battle of giant robots. Again the characters convicted me that they are worth watching so long series.

7)Banner/Crest of the Satrs. Lafiel, you seem to be in my age, but you don't behave like typical anime female teenager. You behaviour may seem strange to me, but you are a child of another culture, living in a fantastic, but complete world. You romance with that human boy was one of the best I've ever seen.

8)Serei no Morobito, Juuni Kokuki, Spice and Wolf and Saiunkoku Monogatari- sorry girls, three strong females in marvelous fantasy worlds must stay in one place. I can't decide which one should I put here- all of them have strong female and a good creation of fantasy world. It's a perfect recipe to make an anime that capture my heart

---Armchair by the Fireplace-----
That not the best, but most loved

9)Sentimental Journey and Only Yesterday.
There are stories that must be told in certain moment in our life. it was strange to me to see myself in that animations. I felt that they were made perfectly for me, to help me to see some things from a distance. I don't say that they changed anything in my life, but I feel extremely comfortable when I my feelings are so common that they make films about them. If I had seen them a bit earlier they probably have finished on my list as "crown jewels"

10)Dragon Ball /Z/GT
Dan, dan kokoro
So I'm back. My anime comfort food. Very dietetic, because every cent that I got for a sweets back then I gathered to buy a video cassette to record it. Now those rests which still had audio and picture I've re-recorded to DVD to watch when I feel sad to reminiscence the last spring of my childhood. My sister recently bought brand new ones with dub and subs, but they aren't the same. Here we was laughing of Special Force and mourned over tragedy of Vegeta. As a poet would say- tear instead of dot.
Innotech

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:46 am Reply with quote
Well, heres my list. Im surprised I never posted in this thread yet. (These are series only. If I had to include movies Id probably list all Miyazaki, Shinkai and Satoshi Kon films. also, no OVa series are present because again, its hard for me to rank them)

1. Haibane Renmei - I love everything about this series. from the gorgeous music, to the beautiful almost watercolor like settings, to the relaxed and philosophical and spiritual nature of it, this series delivered for me. I wont ever forget it or what it means to me. I still revisit this one often and recommend it to anyone I think would be interested.

2. Full Moon Wo Sagashite - I really dont know exactly why I love this so much, seeing as it is shoujo and not really that special. However the story it had to tell and the silly charm of it, along with the great songs made this an enjoyable watch for me, despite its length. I was infuriated when Viz cut the series release short at 7 volumes. One thing Im still angry about to this day actually. It was such a neat little story and it ended in an unexpected way.

3. Kino's Journey - Another of those philosophical, thought provoking animes I love so much. This series is definitely open to interpretation, but I like the subdued style of it. I liked how Kino is really just "there" wherever she goes and doesnt interfere unless forced to. She has an unbiased view of some really messed up parts of humanity and we are sort of treated to a front seat view of that. The opening song is one of my favorites.

4. Saikano - Why do I like this? Its so depressing. Its so fatalistic and pessimistic. But Somehow this show endeared itself to me. Its such an unbelievable situation. Chise is such a cute innocent character. Its almost criminial what goes on in this show. It left an impression on me that Ill never forget. Its not perfect and the art is kind of weak, but it worked on me.

5. Planetes - Now this show was something. I liked how it rendered a near-future that was actually plausible. the technology present in it is not impossible, and that really gave the series a firm base for me. The characters are all enjoyable and believable, and the unexpected twists and turns in the show kept me glued to the TV until it was finished. I dont marathon many shows but I did with this one.

6. Revolutionary Girl Utena - Wow. This series was hard to track down but Im glad I did. Its a really fun, and totally bizarre show. It doesnt delve too deeply into the whole yuri thing, but I think handled it rather tastefully. The music is just epic and the light pastel artwork works for this series. Its all so weird and wonderful I fell in love with it.

7. Twelve Kingdoms - This show is epic. Its so much to take in and explore and observe that I really think you have to watch it twice at least to fully get everything. All the different terms for the characters roles got confusing, but it lends itself to a very robustly detailed and well described world that you really want to see more of. The main character really grows during this series and I love that rat character Rakusshun.

8. R.O.D/ROD TV - I put these together with the OVa because its all so well linked together. At first it doesnt seem like it but once you realize it, it fits together perfectly. This show does have some plot holes and flaws in it, but I love the characters, and the uniqueness of giving girls powers based on their love of books. Its very creative and really lent this series an air of a superhero tale almost, but amongst three girls. Really really fun.

9. Spice and Wolf - Hmm. naked wolf girl + economics....Thats just odd. But it turns out this really actually made for a great series. I love shows that just kind of do their own thing, and combine seemingly random things and events together to make something unique. Maybe its because I've seen so much anime I long for something different, but this show kept my interest and Im watching the sequel now.

10. Sora No Woto (Sounds of the skies) - I haven't even seen K-on but I like this art style a lot. Its very cute and playful. I think Kannagi also had a similar style. Anyway, I LOVE the music for this series. I let my mother listen to the OST and she also fell in love with it. Its such an unexpectedly grandiose and gorgeous soundtrack for such a simple little 12 episode show. This show sort of felt like Haibane Renmei to me at times, with obvious parallels between Rakka and Kanata, and the whole slice of life feel of the show. But it also differend greatly form Haibane Renmei in that the story it told was very direct and not very thought provoking. Its a little story about a girl who joined a tank brigade to learn to play the Bugle. BUt it really charmed me throughout somehow. Its not even a stellar show really, but something about it I just loved.
This one may move up pending a second watch.

Runners up:

Last Exile - Amazing art and great music, interesting world with steampunk tendencies, and a likeable cast of characters. It fell short in some ways that disappointed me though

Now and then Here or there- This show is pretty good actually, but it evokes the same kind of depression that Saikano does but with a better outcome. I wasnt quite as enamored with it though.

Tweeny Witches - I love anything by Studio 4C. I could put an entire listing of their work here as my favorites, but most of their work is short stories and segments. This, however, was the first series they made and it is very...shall I say unique. The witches world is really strange, with vibes that a Tim Burton film might give, and an odd but likeable story. Nothing special, but nothing youve seen before either.

Stuff I want to forget:

1. Green Green - this is by far one of the worst series I've seen. Its so cliche that I couldnt even MST3k it and enjoy it. Its just bland, pointless fluff and Im afraid that just about every other harem show I've seen does it better.

2. Queens Blade - I watched some of this, knowing it was bad. but its just so horrible I cant really describe it. I mean, a girl who squeezes what seems like radioactive milk out of her breasts and a soulless group of forgettable characters tied to a story I cant even remember. Just stay away from this. Not even for fanservice.

3. .Hack//sign - This show had a lot of promise, but my God its so boring. The music is fantastic, being some of Yuki Kajiuras best work, but it was tied to an absolutely insipid show that really didn't seem to go anywhere. Once it finally reached a conclusion it was such a stupid resolution that it turned me off from ever getting the series.

4. Gasaraki - This is exactly what happens when you try to make an anime more about the politics than the characters. It presented a somewhat intriguing political struggle but populated it with soulless unlikeable characters and ugly art. This show is a good way to torture people with boredom.

5. Gantz - This show has got to be my most hated. The violence was just stupid, and the whole show had this feeling of trying too hard for machismo and grandeur. It went wrong in every way I think Elfen Lied went right. Elfen Lied is just as violent and thought provoking, but had a much better story and characters. The moe aspect doesnt hurt either. Gantz was just try-hard garbage to me.
sheytz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I love anime however unfortunately i've never been able to enough time to watch as much as i want to.

Some of my top favorites are

Porcco Rosso (movie)- my first and one of my favorite. Interesting plot, wonderfully scripted with comic relief.

Princess Monoke (movie)- takes you to a whole other world with Ashitaka and Princess mononoke and their fight to save the forest. It has a subtle underlying of romance, yet filled with kick butt battles.

Blood + (tv series)- I have no clue why but I fell in love with Blood +. A wonderful mix of fantasy, adventure and romance. Although the lines are often cheesy, you will never be bored. It helps you fall in love and make connections with characters. Saya and Hagi fighting against the chiropteran and Diva and her chevaliers! WOOT!

Cowboy Bebop (tv series)
- i think its very creative and has a unique style. Holds it own in the anime world.

Claymore (tv series)- So good, I loved this series and was so disappointed when it no longer aired. Its action-packed. The anime follows through the travels of Claymores (silver eyed witches) who are half yoma and half human. They protect the world against yoma, and also other claymore who have gone past their yoma limit. Good series, also a good manga.

Worst Animes

Magic Knights of Rayearth (tv. series) - poor characterization, very repetitious, it gets very monotonous and boring after the first 2 episodes... My hint to you is to not even bother with this one.

School Rumble (tv series)
- this would prove very entertaining... if you were a rice ball... very silly, very monotonous, shames the anime world.
darkknght862

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:21 pm Reply with quote
there are many good animes out there and i think that these 10 were the best in my eyes, sorry for any misspellings, or grammer errors, in advance, when i was typing the post screen kept on moving to the top so i wasn't able to see what i was typing, and i am too lazy to change it anyway. the animes on my list include all the seasons that the anime has.

1.) Shakugan no shana - i like this anime so much, and i know why. all the characters are amazing, but what i think is the best part about this anime is the love interest, which is most of the time a neccessity for a good anime to me.

2.) Darker than black - this anime was amazing, cause of the whole setup of the story, and how they are able to play it out is astounding in all senses of the word.

3.) Higurashi - this anime was the creapiest that i have ever seen. i got hooked the first 10 sec. of the anime when it opens to two girls being beaten to death with a bat. how they incorperated like 5 different stories and made one was unbelievable.

4.) Valkeria chronicles - this was so good in how the love interest was able to go,and how they were able to bring the whole war aspect into play. even though this anime was based off a game, i thought it was great an how they transfered it.

5.) Utawarerumono - another great war anime, i love the love interest and how all the characters are introduced and brought into the main characters army.

6.) Vandread - this story was very original to me, women and men living seperately and fighting a war against each other. and 3 guys are captured on a women ship and they the ship was sent far away i thought that was a great story, plus it had a good love interest.

7.) Elemental geland- i liked the setting of the show and also how people were born in a special way are used as weapons,and of course there was a good love interest.

8.) Ruroni kenshin- the action scenes in this anime were very well done especially for how old it it, how i watched it the voice acting in english was very good. also the story and how it was told was very good especially the shishio story.

9.) Marcross frontier - the way this anime incorperated the music that the main characters sang, into how the invading aliens were like.

10.) Black cat - now this aanime was able to develope well on how an assassin was able to quit his job and be able to become a bounty hunter, and i like all the characters that they made i think that they were all very original.
PaniPoni61

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Okeydokes, since it looks like this is a list(not list) of Top anime and everyone is entitled to their own opinions, please allow me to set myself up for an onslaught of slings and arrows. That's okay with me, i'm used to it, i've had decades of experience with having a target on my back. Mods, I will do my best to explain they whats & whys, so this doesn't look like some flat out list. Plus, if y'all don't mind, I will add my fav characters from each.

1) The entire Haruhi Suzumiya franchise. I had been in & out of anime for a long time, and when i finally got back into it, to stay, i'd heard about Haruhi, and when it got released Stateside, I got the first DVD, and i was floored. My jaw literally (in the true "literal" sense) dropped. At first, i didn't even realize that i wasn't watching in the "true" order, but i didn't mind at all.

It was the second series* that I had to find out everything i could about it, and when i found the novels online, I couldn't read them fast enough. Since then, i've gotten deep into "Haruhi-ism", and read/watched all I could, as this series leaves me forever wanting more. Outside of (still) waiting for the 10th volume of the novel, there is one thing that still has not been brought up, outside of the occasional mention, and i'm dying to find out from Nagiru Tanigawa what the series is going to do about the one type of character Haruhi wants to meet spoiler[yes, again, i'm talking about "Sliders", and no, not the tv series from about a decade or so ago.] (*-see #9 below)

Favorite character-Haruhi. (all-time fav) Main-est of "Main Characters".

2) Hence where i swiped most of my name here, Pani Poni Dash.
Yes, that series that is as manic as anything this side of Excel Saga, with so many references & wall text it's easy to wear out the pause button on my dvd remote. With such a huge cast of characters, and none of them you could really call serious, it's packed with laugh-provoking gags, sight-wise, and dialogue-wise. It's completely anachronic, therefore it could go on dang near forever. There have been hints of a second season, but no solid evidence of it---yet. Keeping my fingers crossed for it though.

Favorite character-Akane Serizawa. Best supporting character in a series i've seen.

3)Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Very akin to PPD, only with deeper references. Most of which are purely Japanese-related. That matters not to me, as if i don't know what the references mean, i don't mind looking them up (though the manga details pretty much all of them, so far). Like PPD, anachronic, and with all the various characters, most all have been give enough development which is always helpful. Not to mention the satire/parody effect. Hoo-boy, the parody/satire! SZS & PPD are perfect for people who do NOT fit the "i don't get it" crowd.

Favorite character-Abiru Kobushi-she gets the best lines.

4)My HiME/Otome franchise. I worked through this one backward, kindasorta. Saw Otome before HiME. But with this series, does it really matter? Not really. Alternative timelines/dimensions/blablabla....hardly matters if you've seen it (and if you "get it" as well) to know that though the ensemble cast for each series is essentially the same, the main characters change, and the differences....oh the differences-those are what makes this franchise so enjoyable. You want drama? Got it. Comedy? Got it. Romance? Got it. Magic/Powers/Fighting??? Got it, got it, got it.
Even with the sequel/prequel series, Otome Zwei & Sifr, it makes for a highly entertaining watch. Am I waiting with baited breath for My HiME Destiny? You bet your sweet....ahem.

Favorite character-Chie Hallard/Haller. Always strong & supportive, and the way she looks in "Zwei", reminds me of my all time favorite comic book character, Zatanna. ~sigh~

5) Excel Saga. Absolute insanity, absurdity, and completely deranged. Right up my alley. This series takes nothing seriously, including, especially itself. Okay, okay, the 1 1/2 eps near the end do get rather melancholic, but that's such a small ratio, not to mention after that sequence, it's back to the craziness. Never gets old, and I will never tire of it.

Favorite character-Excel. Totally over the top, and the boundless enthusiasm.

6) He Is My Master. First, i found the manga, and loved it. Then, when i found there was an anime, i was pumped. Wow. I didn't think that there was any way that the anime could match the pace and quality (especially the art) of the manga. Wholley carp, was i wrong. The pace can get frantic, and the characters are a treat to watch. Note to "i hate fanservice" people-don't watch. You'll hate this. No duh, with the main antagonist being completely into the very depths of fanservice. But that's the joke. The only downside to this series, anime & manga, is the horrible shortness of it all. If only Asu & Mattsu could reconcile, i'd love to see more of this, as there are endless possibilities of this series' future.

Favorite Character-Izumi Sawatari. Strong, independent minded, very caring of people (even Yoshitaka at times). A real "trooper".

7) GA/Geijutsuka Art Design Class. This one took me by surprise. I'd picked up the manga, and at first was "meh". With a re-read, i got more into it. Then, after reading the second issue, i found the anime series, and as of last night, started re-watching it for the 4th time. This is the most addictive series i've ever seen, from the Op song, to the characters, to the BGM, to the variety of Ed songs, and everything in between. The humor is of the "gentle" variety, and there is plenty of it. If anyone has seen my posts in other threads (gomen nasai!) you might have noticed, i'm a huge fan of Satoko Kiyuduki's artwork & storytelling.

The characters are all very engaging, and if anyone is in the market for a "school comedy" with some actual substance, this could be the one for them. You might actually learn something from it. Also, considering all the troubles the production company (Avex) has had in the past, i'm hoping for a stateside release, in hopes that; a) there will be more (i know, there's an ova, to date, still "raw" only) of this series, b) Perhaps Avex can get their hands on more titles to work with, & c) maybe, just maybe, Kiyuduki will get the urge to finish Shoulder-a-Coffin-Kuro, which, if were made into an anime it would put me in heaven.

Favorite Character- 2 really. Kisaragi Yamaguchi-i've never "daww"-ed as much over a character, & Chikako Awara, she's not gorgeous, she's not terribly personable, but boy oh boy does she give off charm & desire.

8) Azumanga Daioh. It's hard to fathom anyone who likes humor could possibly dislike this. All the elements are here. Slapstick, referential, manic, gentle...it's all here. I really cannot add to what all has been written about what makes this series so engaging. It's absolutely timeless.

Favorite Character- Osaka. If you haven't seen this series before, here is a little hint about her-do not expect anything. It will make her much more enjoyable.

9) Card Captor Sakura. Sad to say, i haven't re-watched this in awhile. However, it does make my list (oops, sorry for using that word Mods) as it was the first series that i ever truly obsessed about. Clamp's best work, even better if you did NOT see the horrible butchering of it for US tv. Even as i always wanted to punch out Toya, i didn't hate anyone in this series. Cute, action packed, and any time i see Sakura & Tomoyo i still melt. Also, most of my doujin are CCS related. Odd thing is, as much as i love this series, i cannot get into Tsubasa at all, go figure.

Favorite Character- Tomoyo Daidouji. Just plain irresistable. Has any character, especially at that age level, ever been as supportive?

10) Cromartie High School. Picked this one up on a whim one day while shopping at a Best Buy. Hadn't heard much about it, didn't really know much about it. Best "blind buy" i've ever had, anime-wise. Is it "smart" comedy? Is it "dumb" comedy?
the answer is yes to both. I came to this with no expectations, and hoo-boy, did it help! The only gripe i could possibly have with this series is-there's at least 12 volumes of the manga (will #13 EVER come out?), there's tons of material available, so why not more? Who's the smart ones in the show? Who's the dumb ones?
Who cares. It's the best remedy for a tough day at work. I can grab the box set, pick a disc at random, and i don't have to worry, i know i'll be feeling better after viewing.

Favorite character- Shinjiro Hayashida. My posts read like he speaks. not to get off the subject, but......

Okay, the ones that just missed the cut- Lucky Star, Girls High, Seitokai no Ichizon, Toradora, & Bamboo Blade.

Now for the downside, and since if you can't speak well of something, don't say anything at all (kinda doesn't fit when posting), i'll say as little as i can about these 5.

1) Dragon Half. The only thing that made me happy about this was actually selling it for more than i paid for it.

2)Comic Party Revolution. Bleah dubbing job.

3)School Days. Irritating.

4)Moon Phase. Liked the manga, the anime puts me to sleep.

5) If there is a 7th circle of hell, and i wind up there, i know what awaits. A forced watching of To Heart.

[EDIT: Paragraph breaks are your friend. -TK]

Okay, sorry this is so late, but it's something that i feel must be said. In my previous post I put Moon Phase as #4 Least Liked.
Scratch that. Boring is not good, but i just witnessed something bad. Yes, almost as bad as what's still #5 (to me #5 is like something out of a Lovecraft story-what ought to remain unnamable)...my new #4 now, by a huge margin is now, Tsuyokiss. There is bad, there is real bad, and there is now Tsuyokiss bad. I broke a personal rule of giving at least 4 eps of watching before judging. This is one & done. Bad. Leonard Pinth Garnell bad.

Yes, i'm old enough to reference "Leonard Pinth Garnell", and if you remember without "googling", you're old too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 90 of 122