• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Lists Kekkaishi's U.S. TV Premiere in May

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nebs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Kekkaishi is a pretty kiddish series, even when compared to Bleach or Naruto. Still though, surprising yet awesome news.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Out of all the series Adult Swim could have picked up this was the one. Not Inuyasha, not Soul Eater but Kekkaishi. Is it just me or does Adult Swim anime aquisitions usually make no sense.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Kekkaishi seems like such a odd fit for Adult Swim, I really don't see why they would choose to pick this series of all things. I was expecting them to pick up Soul Eater, Darker Than Black, or even Speed Grapher or something that's a bit more action focused. But this just seems so random for AS. I am interested to see how a series like this works on TV. I don't imagine it will have that big of a fan base in the U.S. but I could be wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:44 pm Reply with quote
So much for my Soul Eater theory as the second anime.

Hopefully I'm still right about InuYasha: The Final Act being the third anime though.
Dragonpiece

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Good to hear, sadly that leaves our next one to be the obvious Inuyasha. Also in case you wanna know Vampire Knight is rumored to come to disney
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't rule out Inuyasha: Final Act. As weird as this pick up seems to be, one theory on why AS might have picked it up could be that it's a package deal. In other words, they had to get this to get Inuyahsas:FA Confused
deathfromabove1993

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:
Kekkaishi seems like such a odd fit for Adult Swim, I really don't see why they would choose to pick this series of all things. I was expecting them to pick up Soul Eater, Darker Than Black, or even Speed Grapher or something that's a bit more action focused. But this just seems so random for AS. I am interested to see how a series like this works on TV. I don't imagine it will have that big of a fan base in the U.S. but I could be wrong.

Wasn't Speed Grapher already broadcasted on TV?

Hopefully the Inuyasha: The Final Act will be the third one.
SoandSo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, surprising choice, but not an especially odd one. Kekkaishi is kinda Inuyasha-ish, fits their action-y tastes, and while I too expected Soul Eater(who's to say they won't still pick it up), as I've noted before, AS tends to pick up stuff before it comes out on dvd, so I sort of gave up on the thought for awhile there.

Least nowvI'll have a reason to check this one out if it's gonna be on tv anyway. I tried Kekkaishi out on subs, and while I love Taku Iwasaki's score, as always, the show just never stuck with me. Hey, at least it isn't another Trinity Blood.

Last edited by SoandSo on Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reibooi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Speed Grapher was already on IFC. So yeah Adult Swim would not be airing that.(I'm pretty sure that IFC still has the rights to it if i remember correctly).

Either way I haven't seen this show so I might as well check it out when it airs.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:51 pm Reply with quote
It's....not Inuyasha...? Or Soul Eater...?

So many people were wrong? You'd think they'd go for the series that everyone wanted, Inuyasha: TFA and Soul Eater. What the heck?

I've never even heard of this. Soul Eater's so mainstream already, I kinda figured they'd pick it up and Inuyasha: TFA seemed obvious. But what the heck is this?

I dunno, if I were them, the first thing I'd go for would be IY, then Soul Eater. Maybe they were too expensive? I don't know how this licensing thing works, but what the heck, Adult Swim. Everyone says they don't care about their anime fans, but damn. Did they know what shows we wanted in the first place?
Jaymie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Kekkaishi and Vampire Knight were both licensed by Viz at the same time, so needless to say I'm suspicious that Vampire Knight is going to be the final Adult Swim series.

Inuyasha: The Final Act will probably be licensed later on. Right now would be too soon, since the Anime only just ended today. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is still ongoing on Japan, but it already has 50 episodes out, while Inuyasha TFA only has 26 in total.

ANYWAYYYYY, cue butthurt Soul Eater fanboys!!!!! Laughing Rolling Eyes Laughing
(Soul Eater would never have been on Adult Swim anyway because the DVDs were already released prior to its debut, but somehow the fanboys seemed to convince themselves otherwise)
SoandSo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
so needless to say I'm suspicious that Vampire Knight is going to be the final Adult Swim series.

Oh God, please please PLEASE no. No, no, a thousand times NO. Don't let it be so, AS. Anime hyper
bahamut623

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Awesome!!! It's a wonderful series that definitely deserves more appreciation. I'll be watching for sure.

The third series is most likely Soul Eater or Inuyasha. Maybe Soul Eater, since that has a dub that we know of, while they haven't really announced one for Inuyasha yet. But either is likely.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:00 pm Reply with quote
SoandSo wrote:
Jaymie wrote:
so needless to say I'm suspicious that Vampire Knight is going to be the final Adult Swim series.

Oh God, please please PLEASE no. No, no, a thousand times NO. Don't let it be so, AS. Anime hyper

seconded

no no no no no no no
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Dragonpiece wrote:
Also in case you wanna know Vampire Knight is rumored to come to disney
Are those rumors from an even vaguely reliable source? That would be interesting if it happens and quite awesome in my opinion.

More anime on TV is always good since it raises the chance of new anime consumers and helps the industry not to die.

Altorrin wrote:
It's....not Inuyasha...? Or Soul Eater...?
Inuyasha is still a very likely possibility but I think everyone is over-estimating Soul Eater's chances of getting on there. They used to have a pretty strict policy against excessive fanservice (Blair in the first episode alone might make somebody think twice) but I don't know if that's still a problem.

Personally, after running a show with a talking naked butt and legs with plenty of high calbier bloodshed, I kinda wonder why any anime besides outright hentai would be rejected.

The people over there just seem to have some very odd tastes in anime and pick what they like and can get approved.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6