• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto Graphic Novels Strong Performers

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I bet Naruto will be a big hit when it's finally licensed. I haven't seen the anime but I'm gonna watch it. How come no one's licensed it yet?
manafairy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:49 pm Reply with quote
You know, if Naruto is doing so well, how come Viz isn't going to release it monthly like Rurouni Kenshin and Yu-gi-oh. I mean, I imagine, since it's a best seller, they make plenty every time a new GN is released, so why do they have to put 5 freakin' months worth of wait in between each volume?! Do they have any idea how frustrating that is?!

*huff* *puff* *wheeeeze*

Okay, sorry about that, I'm just an annoyed, Viz-hating, Naruto fangirl who doesn't want to buy that stupid magazine. Although, I still think it would be a smart move to relesae Naruto faster, I'm sure they must have their reasons......
Kyo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Don't worry. Naruto is bound to become license very soon. I can just sense it. I bet someone will surprise us with the license.

It's nice to see Gravitation is on the tops. I wasn't expecting a yaoi manga to be so successful in the U.S. :O
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
How come no one's licensed it yet?

Because it's really, really expensive and everyone wants a piece of it.
Izlude

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I bet Viz wants to make people wait and get excited for the Naruto GN releases by making people wait for each couple chapters every month in SJ, because they know people will buy SJ for those chapters, and then buy the GN's when they are released...

Although, they could probably really raise the sales by making the Naruto GN's monthly like Rurouni Kenshin and Yugioh. Then they could just throw in more One Piece chapters in SJ, or better yet, increase the YYH chapters and get that series moving full steam ahead.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
I bet Naruto will be a big hit when it's finally licensed.

You and every other person on this planet bets Naruto will be a big hit when it's finally licensed, which is exactly why it isn't licensed. It's like baseball at the the trade deadline. Viz wants the whole kit n kaboodle (sp?) while all the anime distributors don't want to pay that much. Viz wants to make sure that they don't let a possible smash hit go cheaply, (Pokémon, anyone?) while the distributors don't want to give up everything for something that could potentially flop. (Card Captors, anyone?)
wolfcry
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I would wonder if it would be that big of a hit. The Manga is doing very well, sure, but the anime, being unliscenced and therfore FREE, fans will eat it all up. Give me the choice between decent free anime and amazing quality anime for 20 bucks a pop, im leanin towards the free stuff. Get something as phenomainal (if I do say so myself) as Naruto and put anime out for bittorent, and its a no brainer. Of course, the devoted fans will collect every single peace of Naruto merchendise in the world, but for casual anime viewers, do you really think they're up to buying 130+ episodes of it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ken-san

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Animefan16 wrote:
I bet Naruto will be a big hit when it's finally licensed.

You and every other person on this planet bets Naruto will be a big hit when it's finally licensed, which is exactly why it isn't licensed. It's like baseball at the the trade deadline. Viz wants the whole kit n kaboodle (sp?) while all the anime distributors don't want to pay that much. Viz wants to make sure that they don't let a possible smash hit go cheaply, (Pokémon, anyone?) while the distributors don't want to give up everything for something that could potentially flop. (Card Captors, anyone?)

To be fair, Cardcaptor Sakura was ruined by one thing only and thats Nelvana's inept translations. The core story would've been a smash had they not been so skittish about magic cards . . . hell they must be kicking themselves with how big Yu-gi-oh is!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ken-san

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Wolfcry wrote:
I would wonder if it would be that big of a hit. The Manga is doing very well, sure, but the anime, being unliscenced and therfore FREE, fans will eat it all up.

And that my friend is a sentiment, which if widely accepted and exploited, that will eventually destroy the burgeoning anime industry. Companies won't buy things to release over here if people continue to download the free crap only. Which is why it falls on fansubbers to know when enough is enough
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Wolfcry wrote:
Of course, the devoted fans will collect every single peace of Naruto merchendise in the world, but for casual anime viewers, do you really think they're up to buying 130+ episodes of it?

They buy InuYasha...don't see why they wouldn't buy Naruto.
wolfcry
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And that my friend is a sentiment, which if widely accepted and exploited, that will eventually destroy the burgeoning anime industry. Companies won't buy things to release over here if people continue to download the free crap only. Which is why it falls on fansubbers to know when enough is enough

That is very true. I make a point to buy SOMETING if not entire seriese from things that are liecenced after I dl them. There is a point to fansub groups, it gives us more variety quicker, but its over done now.

As to Inu-yasha, well, im beat. But the way people are treating this, its liek the second coming of Jesus if Naruto gets liscenced. It WILL be big. How big is my question.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Pandemonium

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Big enough that the people that license it, most likely ADV because they pretty much own the world, will sit by and watch fansub groups...give them a fair amount of time to stop, and then take action by shutting them down one at a time. But from the ashes of those groups, there is always one that will continue and get as many done as possible, and it just keeps going.
Tomoyo714

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much everyone thinks/knows Naruto is going to the a changing point in Anime in the US. I have talked to quiet a few voice actors that are addicted to it already through fansubs and are chomping at the bit for it to get over here so they can get a chance to just be on the show. Its going to be an all out war for parts on it... I find that amusing...

I think one can bet Naruto is going to be huge just by going to any con..... How many Naruto cosplayers does one see there? Its already one of the biggest titles in the US without the anime even on DVD yet, in my opinion.

And when you REALLY love the show (as I do.... rather dumbly I suppose *laughs*) You will buy every DVD and everything else they offer us.... and be a complete Naruto whore. The show is SO addicting its sick...

I really do think Naruto will change a lot about Anime over here... starting with the attack that is going to start on Fansub groups by whoever owns it....
Bell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:48 am Reply with quote
Naruto will definitely be popular in the otaku community; hell, it already is. I think the real question is, if it ever does get liscensed, how well will it do in the mainstream market?
xjadedragon750x

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:13 pm Reply with quote
If they actually release Naruto sooner, they will need to rush the storyline in Shonen Jump, and everything will be shifted and they'll lose money, whereas if they release Naruto and the more popular manga like One Piece every four months, people will (I think!) rush to buy it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2