• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Ranks Fall 2010 Simulcasts by Popularity

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Hmm Super Robot Wars has actually moved up since last time I checked. I think the real suprise is how bad Panty and Stockings is doing due to the amount of talent that the series had, and it was a major release too.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quote
With a running gag of Panty being a slut, character design and the other jokes hit or miss, it's no wonder the show isn't doing as well as expected.

And go SROG!
garfield15

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:38 pm Reply with quote
While I am annoyed at PSG's low numbers, the rest of that is pretty expected (though I thought Letter Bee would be higher)
silencer226

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Character design isn't really a problem for me, it's just that the jokes Panty and Stocking present are hit or miss, and most of the time miss. If episode 3 turns out to be worse than 2 I'll probably drop it. You can only run the same gag so many times before it gets old.

But I do like Squid Girl, for reasons I do not understand. Confused

As for the number one show, I dunno I haven't seen it, and I'm not sure if I want to from reading the description.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Pereyda said that the "baseline level of hits" for this season is comparable to the top levels in previous seasons.

Very Happy Excellent news, more people are going to watch the new season on Crunchyroll.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:53 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
While I am annoyed at PSG's low numbers, the rest of that is pretty expected (though I thought Letter Bee would be higher)

The primary reason I see Tegami Bachi Reverse being so low is that the about half way through the first season, it got relatively dull for many. Personally, I thought the series was good, but for many, that was the dropping point. While the sequel may be good (not to mention the last few episodes of the first season), the fact that it's a sequel makes the numbers low since it's pointless to watch it if one had not yet finished the original season.

Sora no Otoshimono Forte is up at the top since its original season was significantly better than anticipated and it's straight up comedy.

Yumeiro Patisierre SP Professional is also ranked high since its prequel went from a cheap kids show to a well developed coming of age story on levels just below Kemono no Souja Erin.

If anything, I'm surprised to Tantei Opera Milky Holmes on the top 10, unless of course there are only 10 shows airing on Crunchyroll this season.

As for Panty and Stockings, I'm cannot say I'm not surprised. The promos/trailers for this show simply said "Dead Leaves" all over it even though it's a Gainax work instead of I.G. Like Dead Leaves, it's a hit or miss. Not to mention that the title can be quite misleading for many

Super Robot Wars viewing numbers is indeed unexpected given how poor the 2006 series was. The Inspector currently better than Divine Wars, but my guess is that it's because it's labeled as "Super Robot Wars", which the game franchise is quite known to many, hence many people going "hey my favorite game franchise is being animated" or something along those lines. Similar results occurred when Persona -trinity soul- aired in 2008 if I recall correctly.

Quote:
Quote:
Pereyda said that the "baseline level of hits" for this season is comparable to the top levels in previous seasons.

Excellent news, more people are going to watch the new season on Crunchyroll.

If it's "comparable" than I would say that Crunchyroll is probably not getting that many more viewers as is. There are 2 problems I currently see: 1) Crunchyroll needs to pick up a few better series. Unfortunately, those series are usually acquired by mainstream licensing companies or difficult to acquire AND/OR 2) Crunchyroll is the center of attention as the anime industry continues to slump further into depression, and thus picking up a only a handful of worthwhile shows. Had they been "legal" in 2005 or 2006, I think you would continue to see viewer numbers sky rocket during this time.

Last edited by Kit-Tsukasa on Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:04 am; edited 2 times in total
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:53 pm Reply with quote
silencer226 wrote:
You can only run the same gag so many times before it gets old.

Tell that to Love Hina.

Anyways, i'm saddened that Forte is up there and P&S and Milky Holmes are at the bottom. It makes me think Crunchyroll watchers are ecchi fans.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jyuichi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:02 am Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:

Anyways, i'm saddened that Forte is up there and P&S and Milky Holmes are at the bottom. It makes me think Crunchyroll watchers are ecchi fans.

And this is a bad thing how?

Also to, me, Milky Holmes feels like a sad moe shell of a show and I'm usually a moe fan.

More likely though since its the newest it just doesn't have a lot of coverage yet.
Ovalshine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:41 am Reply with quote
[quote="SonicRenegade84"]
silencer226 wrote:

I'm not that saddened. P&S is looking to be my favorite anime of the year, but I understand why it's where it's at. My favorite anime of 2008 was one I'm sure nobody heard of. My tastes tend to not be of the norm.

I'm also not saddened because I am liking Forte and am contributing to that being #3 (not to mention contributing Zakuro in being #2).
crunchycat
I do Marketing for Anime Companies

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:59 am Reply with quote
[quote="jyuichi"]
SonicRenegade84 wrote:

I think Queen's blade would agree with you on that lol.

But in all honesty a lot of series as of recent have been really ecchi especially a few Crunchy doesn't have.

Has anyone seen yosuga no sora...and im sure there are more soon just haven't seen them all, last season had High school of the dead, Kiss x sis, ikkitousen, Ichiban so its more japan is more ecchi nowadays lol
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:09 am Reply with quote
It's official, The World God Only Knows is the season's surprise hit (on Crunchyroll at least). I don't think it was expected to get such a favorable rating. Let's hope that subsequent episodes prove to be as endearing.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:02 am Reply with quote
Wow... after seeing a couple people point out Squid Girl in this thread and elsewhere, I went and looked up the summary. The basic plot sounds like an almost perfect carbon-copy of Sgt. Frog, with a few gender swaps... that's kind of sad...
Otaking09

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:14 am Reply with quote
I liked Obari's Gravion WAAAY more than I thought I ever could. It was just... a really fun show.

If SRW has that same kind of fun factor then... it's no wonder.

I also want to check out Squid Girl. Reminds me of Ponyo. If it has Sgt. Frog humor then... all good right?
gorbal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:24 am Reply with quote
Edit-Somehow I double posted, sorry:(

Last edited by gorbal on Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:29 am; edited 3 times in total
gorbal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:25 am Reply with quote
I would call "Otome Youkai Zakura" a suprise hit; I couldn't even get a conversation going about the show before it came out. "The World God Only Knows" was not a surprise as it was talked up everywhere.

I think if more people started watching "Panty and Stocking" they actually might like it. It reminds me of "Ren and Stimpy' meets "Charlie's Angels"... really!

"Letter Bee" is such a good show, it surprised me it was low on the list.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5