• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Things about anime these days that just absolutely frustrates you?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SecretJustin1130

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quote
shabaz92 wrote:
SecretJustin1130 wrote:
For me it's
1. Lack of variety/quantity in shows. (there's so little to chose from...)
2. Too much moe/fanservice. (enough is enough!)
3. The state of the industry. (get better please!)
Can you elaborate on these a bit? I think it could make a good discussion but these are so vague.

Well since everyone wants to know...

1. Lack of variety/quantity in shows. animenewsnetwork.com/anime-spotlight/2012/summer/. Count how many shows are listed then count the number of shows you're actually interested in.

2. Too much moe/fansevice. Okay it's more of an opinion but I really think it gets too much attention (How many of these types of shows did FUNimation license?) & there should be more production on a variety of different shows/genres. I don't expect one show per season to be as good as Cowboy Bebop but they should at least try & show some effort.

3. Not enough people actually buy DVDs. Ignorant fans was probably a better way to describe this.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:40 pm Reply with quote
SereneChaos wrote:
But if someone doesn't like that kind of spice, it can ruin an otherwise enjoyable show. I don't want to see Character A nude or rubbing the protagonist in her boobs as much as most people probably don't want to see her horribly maimed or killed (which as a horror fan, I would love to see). The major problem with fanservice is that if it's not aimed at you, then it's a disservice and does the exact opposite of what it's suppose to.

I find it interesting you'd equate a girl posing in a bikini or something natural like nudity with her being brutally smashed in the head with a bat or murdered.

Though it is safe to say people who have a problem with fan-service are in the minority given the popularity of stuff like One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, and Fairy Tail. Honestly if someone gets so upset at seeing a girl in her swimsuit at the beach they probably wouldn't have given the show much of a chance to begin with. That kind of behavior just seems like looking for an excuse to write off a show.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:47 pm Reply with quote
larinon wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Ridiculous as to what degree, Manyuu Hikenchou's? Otherwise, large knockers are hardly a new trend to anime.

It started around the time of Dragonaut, when they became bigger than the rest of the woman's torso. It's not that I believe that anime should be totally realistic, I just feel it got to the point that I could no longer suspend disbelief. In some of these anime they are almost literally the elephant in the room.

And then these women forgot how to dress themselves and started buying clothes that were two sizes too small.

It's all right if you like it that way, I'm saying that I do not like them and it frustrates me, as the title states. That is not why I watch and enjoy anime.

In Dragonaut's case, that's character designer Makoto Uno, the same guy who did Witchblade and Seikon no Qwaser. His fetish is monstrous tits and enormous penises on women, although those haven't been committed to anime yet. Maybe he should team up with Masami Obari. It's not like Dragonaut would have been a decent show even if the designs were given to another person, so I don't mind when Garnet's massive brown globes of flesh bounce around in that ridiculous uniform. My main gripe is that Dragonaut didn't have nudity, what a waste of talent. If you're going to to hire someone who does dynamite hentai bodies, go for broke.

I'll bring up a point I made elsewhere: the issue is that "good stories with good characters" are more likely to be found in manga. Bartender was an interesting show, but I'm sure it sold like shit. I'm sure a Drops of God anime would do awful in sales as well despite how fantastic the manga is. Anime and manga, even through they're tied together through fandom and production committee, are entirely different beasts. Of course that doesn't excuse studios and directors from "not trying", but that's not true either. They do try, but just not with sci-fi/space opera anymore. The "highschool" thing must be a product of Japan's ridiculous obsession with youth versus aging, 25 year old women are considered less desirable after all.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:02 pm Reply with quote
SecretJustin1130 wrote:
Count how many shows are listed then count the number of shows you're actually interested in.

Quite a few, actually. In fact, there's several I'd like to watch but don't have time for right now, and a couple that I'm waiting for BDs so that I don't get half black screens or random mysterious beams of light. It hasn't been all that long since I gave in to following shows as they aired rather than marathoning them afterward, so I could be mistaken on this, but I think summer is typically not that great of a season anyway.

SecretJustin1130 wrote:
Okay it's more of an opinion but I really think it gets too much attention (How many of these types of shows did FUNimation license?)

You're absolutely right, but whose fault is that? There were some good titles announced this past round, but many people ignored them in order to have a moan-up about Seikon no Qwaser. Most of the discussion about fanservice and moe appears to be driven by the very people who just keep chanting the mantra that they're killing the anime industry, while the people who enjoy them are inundated with content they'd rather be watching, and probably only chime in to keep everything from being one-sided. I know we all need to vent a little about things we don't like, but when the goal is to make them less visible, that reaction can turn counter-productive very quickly.

SecretJustin1130 wrote:
Not enough people actually buy DVDs.

I assume we're talking about R1 here. This is definitely unfortunate, but for one thing the economy isn't all that great right now, and the other is that there's just less people who actually want DVDs at this point. I buy them when I can, but it's more out of guilt than anything else, and most of them simply get tossed into a box in the attic. Why do I need to keep shuffling all these clunky old discs around when I have the same show at a higher resolution right at my fingertips? I'm probably in the minority in many respects, but the fact that it's obsolete media surely has to have some impact in addition to people's financial circumstances.
naninanino

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:02 pm Reply with quote
It is just the production environment. Cheap anime get seasons like no tomorrow and interesting projects get delayed or just don't have the resoursces needed to make them really distinguish themselves. Lots of things get patched with CGI and are outsourced, resulting in uneven feeling anime. There is little hope to ever see something made that I'd consider "excellent" or "one of the best" again. I just think stuff is "good" now.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Three pages of posts on this topic and nobody mentions censorship. I guess I will.

Look, I do not need fan service to enjoy an anime or have it on my list of favorites. Most fan service I don't really like that much. It can be well used and often is but it is more often mis-used.

Regardless of whether it is or not, when they put it there it is incredibly annoying to have a white-out black-out steam from nowhere lens flare that cuts up all the "naughty" bits because presumably that's good for me. It is a cartoon, not even a real person.

I could rant on but it isn't worth it.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:32 pm Reply with quote
SecretJustin1130 wrote:
1. Lack of variety/quantity in shows. animenewsnetwork.com/anime-spotlight/2012/summer/. Count how many shows are listed then count the number of shows you're actually interested in.

If I may play devils advocate here, you should keep a few things in mind:
-Summer is almost always the weakest season.
-This summer in particular has been abnormally bad.
-There have always been bad seasons. Even back in the "good old days".
-It is meaningless to compare shows you are interested in relative to the shows you aren't. All that really matters is how many you are interested in.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:54 am Reply with quote
There aren't any so-bad-they're-good, brutal, over-the-top, nigh-nihilistic gorefests involving cyborgs, super soldiers, half-naked women, and motorcycles that transform into robots, ala the 80s, anymore. People getting their limbs torn off by gunfire, people's heads getting caved in with blunt objects, drills and saws tearing into human flesh as illogical amounts of blood flies in directions that defy physics. Peppy 80s pop played over scenes of violent debachary and rock theme songs sung by Hironobu Kageyama. No messages. No philosophy. No moral value whatsoever. Just disgustingly gritty, bloody combat punctuated with sex and cheesy music.

You know, like the good old days.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:17 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
[I'll bring up a point I made elsewhere: the issue is that "good stories with good characters" are more likely to be found in manga.

Why is that? Because there's so much crap manga that the better titles look great in comparison? Because it's so cheap? Because there's just a single vision or so? Because it's all in your head and the number of good animes is equal to mangas?

Manga is a risk, anime is an investment, it's as simple as that and "story", while important, is not high on the list.

Look at the flip side; It's easier to find a good gag anime than a good gag manga. Ex: Pani Poni versus Pani Poni Dash.

What fustrates me? Complaining complacent fans who think the world revolves around them, their wants and their tastes. If you don't like raw fish don't go to the sushi bar?

I'm fine with what's on the menu, I just wish the prices were cheaper.
Exaar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:58 am Reply with quote
I love anime, and a lot of recent shows have been really good - In fact, on my Facebook anime discussion group I recently made a (quite lengthy) post complaining about how some recent shows which were, in my opinion, superior to many of the 'classics' get shorter shrift simply because they came out in the last five years and not the late 90's.

However, there are a couple things about the current anime scene which get under my skin.

One of them is the inability or lack of desire of many manga/anime writers to escape certain tropes which server no real point and simply seem to be continued because people are afraid of change. The biggest one for me right now is anime which takes place in a high school or involves high-school age characters. It's like there's some unwritten law that 80% or more of all anime series, no matter the genre, take place with characters in the 12-18 age range.

At one point, I would have thought this was because of the shows target audience, but when we're talking about shows that are airing in the middle of the night, or are mature dramas or graphically violent, etc., this clearly is not the case or at least not entirely the case. And to be honest, I don't even particularly mind - it's not like I won't watch a show because it takes place in high school, or that I think quality anime can't take place there (Toradora and Madoka both star high-school age characters, after all, and are among my favorite series), it just seems that it is highly unnecessary to beat the setting to death so much. How about more series which take place at colleges or star young adults in their 20s? I know they're around, but they are far, far outnumbered by the other sort. I think it would do a lot of creative good to have some variety in the setting in this fashion.

The other thing which really annoys me, specifically regarding anime fans, is the inability of some people to accept that modern English dubs of many series are actually very good, and more and more actually superior to the original Japanese audio. Now, that last part is highly subjective, of course, but the objective fact is that dubs have moved forward by leaps and bounds in the past five years. Five years ago, I was on the 'dubs are generally bad' train as well, because it was true. Oh, you had your good dubs here and there, but for the most part they were pretty poor.

However recently, especially in the last two years or so, bad dubs have become the minority. I can't tell you how many shows I've gotten recently, popped the blu-ray in, and been like "I'll start with the dub and if it sucks, I'll switch" and just stayed with the dub the whole time. The acting and writing are, by and large, extremely well done.

I have absolutely no problem with people preferring the Japanese audio. That is a subjective choice. But what I HATE is people who go "This dub is shit, all dubs are shit" when that is objectively false and they are just so stuck in their late-90's opinion that they won't even give newer stuff the benefit of the doubt. My personal opinion is that these people (most of whom) do not speak Japanese simply assume the Japanese acting is better because they don't understand what is being said and so can assign whatever level of natural-sounding speaking to it they choose. In other words, they don't know what normal conversational Japanese sounds like, so they just assume what they are hearing in anime is totally natural and awesome acting. Then they hear English, and knowing full well what conversational english sounds like, go "This doesn't sound real, IT SUCKS". But that's neither here nor there, the point is the acting and writing in most of these modern dubs is actually quite good, and people should be willing to give them more of a chance.

A great example is the forthcoming Steins;Gate dub. I saw the premier of the first five episodes of it at Otakon, and it is fantastic. I would call it tremendously superior to the Japanese. J. Michael Tatum wrote the script, and he adapted it wonderfully. It is not a literal line-for-line translation, but I am of the opinion that as long as you keep the basic ideas intact, a liberal translation is far more satisfying from an entertainment standpoint. The writing in this show is top-notch, the jokes are much funnier than in Japanese (because they have been localized and timing can play a more significant role), and the performances are just stellar. There were about 2000 people in the room, and when the episodes ended they got a standing ovation.

Funimation has started posting 2-3 minute clips on Youtube, and the comments are filled with people going "Funimation ruins anotehr great anime" and "another shit dub". It makes me INCREDIBLY ANGRY because it simply isn't true even from the most subjective standpoint. The performances are fantastic. One person had the gall to criticize Tatum because he 'didn't even try to imitate the Japanese voice actor's voice'. Seriously? You'd rather have someone do a bad impression of another performance than make the character their own in a wonderful, heartfelt way?

You can PREFER the Japanese audio all you like. But calling an English dub 'shit' when it is an excellent performance from all involved is just being closed-minded and petty, and that is probably my #1 complaint about anime and the anime community today.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:13 pm Reply with quote
for the sake of your mental health, it's best to avoid youtube comment about anime altogether.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Youtube comments on anything are generally best avoided.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:12 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
There aren't any so-bad-they're-good, brutal, over-the-top, nigh-nihilistic gorefests involving cyborgs, super soldiers, half-naked women, and motorcycles that transform into robots, ala the 80s, anymore. People getting their limbs torn off by gunfire, people's heads getting caved in with blunt objects, drills and saws tearing into human flesh as illogical amounts of blood flies in directions that defy physics. Peppy 80s pop played over scenes of violent debachary and rock theme songs sung by Hironobu Kageyama. No messages. No philosophy. No moral value whatsoever. Just disgustingly gritty, bloody combat punctuated with sex and cheesy music.

You know, like the good old days.

Yup. The good old days.
anime#375
anime#561
anime#191
anime#2044
anime#828
anime#767
anime#152
anime#788
anime#670
anime#924
anime#2606
anime#495
anime#180

The thing about the 80s is that, while there were certainly plenty of awful, meaningless gore-fests that are in a lot of ways somewhat comparable to shlocky modern anime, there were easily as many projects that represent the pinnacle of creativity. Huge, lavish productions and wildly experimental works that really said something (or at worst, tried to say something). These are the kinds of projects you simply do not see anymore.

I'm not sure I'd say that 80s were outright "better". I'm not sure the math supports that conclusion given the sheer number of shows today. But as much as 80s anime did wrong, it seemed to pretty evenly balance it out by doing stuff incredibly right.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:12 pm Reply with quote
You don't see them anymore because Japan was in the middle of a massive economic bubble at the time, allowing for lavish films and OVAs to come out in droves. Take a look at what you get a few years later, after it burst.
eyeofthetiger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Why this flamewar thread isn't closed, I'll never understand. * rollseyes*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9