• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
DVD cases

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I've been trying to find a curtain case.

I have a few cases that hold 6 DVDs, but is the size of a standard DVD case. But I have no idea where to even find these cases.

I wish to find them because they will do wonders to compact 5-6 DVD series and I can still use one of the DVD art sleeves to label the box, without having to make one.

An example of the case I would be talking about would be how Bandai did the Legend release of Code Geese, season 1.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Something like this? http://www.meritline.com/14mm-6-disc-black-dvd-case---p-85398.aspx

Pretty sure 14mm is standard size, and while I have no idea what the Code Geass Legends collection looked like, I'd have to imagine it was something like that.
GDFan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:37 pm Reply with quote
14mm is the industry standard width for dvd cases. Just look for that size and however many discs you desire it to hold. Ebay has worked for me in the past. You'll probably be able to find auctions for anywhere from a single case to bulk lots of 10, 20, or even hundreds. I'm sure there are better places than Ebay, but that's always a good place to start looking for anything you don't know where to find.

Edit: Sailor S beat me to it.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Is there a place that just deals in cases?
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote
^ I've gotten cases from Sleeve City before, they seem to deal in just cases. I quite liked the cases I got from them too, I got a 3 disc case, 4 disc case (both were 1 disc width), a few 6 disc cases, and an 8 disc case (both the size of a 6 disc case thickpack), mostly to replace lots of singles I had. I might want to order a few more actually, I'm thinking of getting an 8 disc case for Trigun, a 7 disc for .hack and Samurai Champloo, and 4 4-disc cases, one for each arc of VOTOMs (yes, some idiots thought releasing this on 16 double sided discs was a good idea). I still save the inserts in case I need to revert them for whatever reason.
I got the budget ones btw, they of pretty much the same quality as the normal thickpacks you'd get from Bandai or something.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:33 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
^ I've gotten cases from Sleeve City before, they seem to deal in just cases. I quite liked the cases I got from them too, I got a 3 disc case, 4 disc case (both were 1 disc width), a few 6 disc cases, and an 8 disc case (both the size of a 6 disc case thickpack), mostly to replace lots of singles I had. I might want to order a few more actually, I'm thinking of getting an 8 disc case for Trigun, a 7 disc for .hack and Samurai Champloo, and 4 4-disc cases, one for each arc of VOTOMs (yes, some idiots thought releasing this on 16 double sided discs was a good idea). I still save the inserts in case I need to revert them for whatever reason.
I got the budget ones btw, they of pretty much the same quality as the normal thickpacks you'd get from Bandai or something.

Yeah, I have that place saved, but they don't seem to have the the standard size that can hold 5 or 6. Sleeve City, you can also order just 1, if needed, not in a bulk.

You're replacing case? How are you going to go about fitting the Trigun into one case? I mean, I know you can fit them in one case, but how are you going to go about the cover art? Are you going to use one that you have from one of the single, even though it won't fit right? Or 2 cases that fit 4 DVDs?
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:47 pm Reply with quote
^Well the 8 disc case I have right now is for Master Keaton, because 8 singles just took up too much space. I quickly found out that you can't have more than 3 art slips in a case at once or it's hard to close and have it feel normal, so I have the other inserts stored elsewhere and I took one of the single inserts and put it in the 8 disc sleeve. No, it doesn't fit. But it doesn't actually look as bad as you might think either, it just looks like it has a border to it. You can see Master Keaton in this pic. You can actually see Key the Metal Idol in the same pic, that's 3 discs in one case, to save space. But for Trigun, I did consider getting two 4 disc cases (those are standard size of one case and where my Cro High series is). Also debating on RahXephon, because those are two stackpacks (ew, I mostly want to replace it for that) with 4 discs each and are each the size of that 8 disc replacement.
I would only plan to do this for single series that do not have an artbox, so my Mushishi will never get converted. But for stuff with no artbox, I kinda do need the room now...and here I promised myself I wouldn't fill up my shelves...
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Thank! In fact, I was wondering how an art cover for standard size would look in a wider spine. No, it doesn't look bad, but it's in your own collection, so it should really matter, unless you plan to sell something,

So, easiest for me to do is mostly write down what needs replacement case and how many discs are in that series, and such.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:28 pm Reply with quote
^That is why I kept the other inserts. Partially because my inner collector won't let me throw them away, but I did have Speed Grapher in a 6 disc case and I ended up selling it later. It was an easy de-conversion. But no, this does not mean that there is any chance I would be willing to sell Master Keaton :3

I don't have the money to get more cases right now, maybe for xmas. Fortunately most newer things don't come in 6-8 singles these days, so yeah, only for older stuff really. But with VOTOMs, the spines make these really awesome pictures...and for .hack, the spines spell "Logout"....
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:28 am Reply with quote
Casetopia has the Scanavo 6 disc, 14mm size case.
teknokrat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:51 am Reply with quote
The standard size 6 disc case I use is here. It is a high quality non-overlap case that is the same brand (bb or something) as what Funi uses for their 4-6 disc SAVE and legends releases. Has 4 discs on two leaves and a disc inside each cover. It's actually the non-lockable version of those locking cases you see at libraries, just doesn't have the locking mechanism.

Only drawback is a 20 unit or so case quantity, and the retailer is in Canada which is fun when it comes to shipping, plus they don't always have it in stock. Been very happy with the cases though, I swap them with all of the 14mm overlap cases from Bandai, MB and Nozumi. I hate overlap cases with a passion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1