• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naoki Urasawa, Editor Discuss Latest Work, Billy Bat

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:00 am Reply with quote
Pluto and 20th Century Boys are released?

*goes out and buys*

Also, Billy Bat definitely sounds intriguing with the whole post-war Japan setup.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:25 am Reply with quote
A Hollywood version of Pluto has already happened. It's called Blade Runner. Laughing
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:34 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
A Hollywood version of Pluto has already happened. It's called Blade Runner. Laughing

Clearly you have neither seen Blade Runner nor read Pluto. Other than having humanoid robots, they're nothing alike.

I'd love to see a live action version of Pluto; a lot of Urasawa's work really lends itself to that format, with his realistic style. And an American studio would presumably avoid the... cheap... feeling you get from a lot of Japanese live action movies.

Meanwhile, I am so hyped for this Tuesday! I'm guessing by the higher price on Pluto ($13) that Viz plans to do the special-edition style releases?
braves

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:59 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Meanwhile, I am so hyped for this Tuesday! I'm guessing by the higher price on Pluto ($13) that Viz plans to do the special-edition style releases?

Yeah, it's bigger than a regular volume of manga and it has color pages and cover flaps too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:53 pm Reply with quote
vash: I just got the first volume, actually. Just call the robots replicants, and it's the same story. Razz Also, stop trashing Japanese sci-fi until you've seen Zeiram. Mad
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Holy. Crap.

A Pluto Hollywood movie? Dude, I don't care about the Hollywood-trashing anger or the Dragonball: Evolution fiasco; a live-action Pluto would be AWESOME.

Now if only they would actually start on the Monster movie...
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I won't even bother getting my hopes up. Until anything more is said, I'll assume it's as likely to be made as the Evangelion movie. Hasn't Hollywood had the rights to Monster since before he even started Pluto??
einhorn303

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:03 pm Reply with quote
An adaption of an adaption that's already being adapted?

Hollywood just got ridiculous.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:34 am Reply with quote
Oh boy, Hollywood eh? The people who thought it wise to case Keanu Reeves as Spike, right?

Yeah, i think I'll stay far away as possible if Hollywood does touch it and make something.

On a positive note, my undying love for Osamu Tezuka and undying crush for Naoki Urasawa (and that I've read most of Pluto already) definalty bump Pluto and 20th Centurey Boys (which I haven't gotten to read any of) high up on my list of manga to get. I get fewer series than ever now, just a select few that I know I actually want now, but these two are likely candidates.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:53 am Reply with quote
Now that I think about it, is a Pluto Hollywood movie legally feasible? After all, Imagi has the adaptation rights to Astro Boy, and might possibly want to use that story in a future sequel, if the first flick ends up being successful for the company. And while Urasawa's take is slightly different than Tezuka's take, it's still the same material in the end. Sounds like the makings of a Hobbit-style court battle to me.///
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1