• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Helmer Satoshi Kon, JAM Project's Kageyama Interviewed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:09 am Reply with quote
He also said he was worried about it being compared to Wall-E, but it's a totally different project.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Otaku2 Interview wrote:
PG:That’s nice of you to say. For a lot of people, otaku isn’t such a nice word. Does it surprise you that people overseas identify this way?
KH: No, I think it’s great. No matter what country I go to, people are shouting, “We are otaku!” They are waving bandanas and screaming. I think Japan should be like that.

PG:There was doujinshi in Brazil?
KH: Yes! One fan gave me one where Goku goes around and brutally murders everyone. It’s like, “This is so awful!” In a good way.

What a cool guy. Laughing
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Interesting how he noted that Saint Seiya is more popular in Spanish speaking countries rather than Dragon Ball. Doesn't surprise if you realize that those countries weren't in such exuberant economical times, and something lengthy such as Dragon Ball would be hardly affordable(since they also pay for the Dub, and not to forget that something in Japanese on a national channel isn't exactly a thing to do to attract new fans, and attracting kids with something they should be reading to at least know what the characters are saying would never work).
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:16 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Interesting how he noted that Saint Seiya is more popular in Spanish speaking countries rather than Dragon Ball. Doesn't surprise if you realize that those countries weren't in such exuberant economical times, and something lengthy such as Dragon Ball would be hardly affordable(since they also pay for the Dub, and not to forget that something in Japanese on a national channel isn't exactly a thing to do to attract new fans, and attracting kids with something they should be reading to at least know what the characters are saying would never work).

I'm not sure that's it.
I enjoy the fact I can get my Saint Seiya fix thanks to Mexico being a 30 minute drive so a local store stocks those $75-$100 Saint Seiya dolls, etc. He gets about 3 in & they're usually gone in a week if that long.
I'd think it's more the dif in the stories. Seiya goes in for fancy costumes like ceremonial dress & all. The gals are in masks like wrestlers. Saints like Catholicism has even. I just don't see it as just the length of the 2 series.
They did bring Seiya over while America didn't until it really didn't matter. One of the big difs between Seiya & DB is the amount of blood that flows in Seiya made Seiya a big deal to American cartoon censors while perhaps these other countries had less concern over the amounts of violence & blood children are exposed to. Seiya has a better overall story, more of a single goal throughout (the manga at least) with all the stuff basically events leading to the last battle with Hades vs DBZ's different big bads. Seiya is more noble & idealistic than DBZ which might resonate better with some cultures. I never got that "willing to march into Hell for a Heavenly cause" out of DBZ. Goku is family values. Seiya is youth swearing their lives to a cause
ShaolinWolf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:49 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:

Like Saint Seiya, Dragon Ball was also shown in its entirety as well. Money was never an issue with Japanese Animation in Latin American countries, as the licensing fees never really reached the exuberant heights that they did in the States. One of the main reasons so much of it was shown in Latin America was because it was seen as cheap, readily-available entertainment.

Saint seiya is also more popular than DragonBall in Europe, so it's not only a Latin American thing. A lot of people just believe Saint Seiya is a better overall show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1