• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Reports US$21 Million Loss in 4th Quarter

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShinigamTakuto

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Well let's hope they keep a uncensored version available of whatever they license.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Interesting that Yu-gi-oh's metrics are constant, since Bakugan seems to have completely overshadowed it.
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Just what we need. More shows to be butchered for years until 4kids loses intrest and stops adapting, leaving FUNi to possibly save said show several years later than we'd like.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Some of their treatments haven't been so bad.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:20 pm Reply with quote
In before page 20 I guess...

I hope they really understand the types of titles they should be going with this time around and are willing to share titles with anime companies if they pick ones that may require extensive editing in order to make people happy. Let's try to avoid another One Piece.

But they're getting ready to announce a new title. I'm thinking Element Hunters.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Some of their treatments haven't been so bad.

I stopped watching Sonic X in the first episode when they changed "Don't stand on the hoods of moving cars" into "Don't chase hedgehogs with formula 1 racecars"

....That's not even a JOKE!
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:27 pm Reply with quote
If the shows are distinctly KIDS shows, then I don't mind. After all, if it's something like Pokemon or Kirby, then there really isn't much to 'cut' in the first place.
Though if it's something that can skew considerably older (like One Piece), then that will warrant some concern.

At this point, I can accept minor edits, localized names and a different OP (I've just learned to accept it), so long as it's not butchered like One Piece was.

Quite frankly, there isn't much that that they can bring in at this point, to my recollection. What's left? Bakegyamon? Battle Spirits? Mushiking?

...On second thought, I can actually see them bringing Battle Spirits over, since the card game has already launched in North America and IMO it REALLY needs a tie-in if it wants to survive.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Well I'd say Sonic X lost me for being Sonic X and not suiting my tastes anymore. It just didn't match the Sonic I remembered would play a strong part of it.

That said The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is actually closer to the original comics than both the horrible live action (movies and series) and the 80's cartoon.

So yeah they haven't been as bad as the anime fan would like to portray them to be.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Otaku_X wrote:
I stopped watching Sonic X in the first episode when they changed "Don't stand on the hoods of moving cars" into "Don't chase hedgehogs with formula 1 racecars"

I didn't say Sonic X was one of them.

I've seen Shugo Chara, Fairy Tail, and K-On! Laughing suggested on Twitter.
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Otaku_X wrote:

I didn't say Sonic X was one of them.

I've seen Shugo Chara, Fairy Tail, and K-On! Laughing suggested on Twitter.

Shugo Chara would be a good fit, but I don't like how they americanize stuff. Fairy Tail, I don't know much about, only read one volume so far, but that'd probably need some editing. K-On! is a great show, but WAY far off from what 4Kids would want (they tend to go for longer shows, and action shows. K-On! would really only appeal to anime fans, not kids)
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:49 pm Reply with quote
As much as Shugo Chara could do well for them in regards to merchandise, if the show hits, I don't want them touching it. I can't even imagine how upset I'd be if they gave it the same treatment as Tokyo Mew Mew and DoReMi.
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
As much as Shugo Chara could do well for them in regards to merchandise, if the show hits, I don't want them touching it. I can't even imagine how upset I'd be if they gave it the same treatment as Tokyo Mew Mew and DoReMi.

That's what I mean. I LOVE Tokyo Mew Mew, but hate what they did to it.

Naruto has show kids can accept a show with Japanese names, hasn't it? Heck, as a Kid I didn't mind watching Oroku Saki and Hamato Yoshi as major characters in a show.

Last edited by Otaku_X on Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dragonpiece

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:50 pm Reply with quote
YAY NEW YUGIOH MOVIE IS LISENECED! What can I say but yes, my inner Yugioh fanboy can not wait to see Jaden and Yugi again. I know, I know, gx was censored to death but it is my very first anime! I love the dub, if I never saw I would have never been a fan. Can't wait to heart them all again.

Now on to the discussion of new anime. Ehhh, I seriously hate them for what they did to my One Piece, so I really hope they don't get another SJ property, but knowing there taste they probably will. I just hope they edit's won't be too bad to whatever show.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:54 pm Reply with quote
ShinigamTakuto wrote:
Well let's hope they keep a uncensored version available of whatever they license.

Have they before?

As for titles like Shugo Chara, how well have they done on titles that focus more on girls as the main characters then on ones with boys as main characters or in the majority?
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:06 am Reply with quote
For once, fans can finally cheer over a company taking a hit. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7