• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[done] Princess Nine Manga

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:41 am Reply with quote
So a couple of questions; If it exists, why isn't it in the encyclopedia, and if it doesn't exist, why is Kensei Date credited with Original Creator for the Princess Nine anime?

I did some primitive searching, but couldn't find a manga. I thought that Date's credit could be due to some sort of mistranslation, but the source is in English... Then I looked at his encyclopedia page and his only other credit is for the Ninja Resurrection script. Is Date even a mangaka? Information, anyone?

Edit: Date's credit. I had Manga on the mind...

Last edited by DerekTheRed on Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:46 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
So a couple of questions; If it exists, why isn't it in the encyclopedia, and if it doesn't exist, why is Kensei Date credited with Original Manga for the Princess Nine anime?

There was a manga. However, it was adapted from the anime, and Kensei Date was the writer, not the artist. The manga published by NHK had three volumes and was illustrated by Kakeru Takamine (たかみね 駆). A picture can be found here. It was even licensed in Taiwan.

DerekTheRed wrote:
I did some primitive searching, but couldn't find a manga.

Searching Amazon.jp with English is not recommended; besides, you were searching within "foreign books" category. Search in Japanese (kanji if possible, as kana might give you multiple results) under "Japanese books" and you'll find them.

DerekTheRed wrote:
I thought that Date's credit could be due to some sort of mistranslation, but the source is in English... Then I looked at his encyclopedia page and his only other credit is for the Ninja Resurrection script. Is Date even a mangaka? Information, anyone?

Like many pre- and early 2000 anime-related websites in English, Tomodachi Anime contained many misinformation, and those had been brought to ANN.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:48 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
So a couple of questions; If it exists, why isn't it in the encyclopedia, and if it doesn't exist, why is Kensei Date credited with Original Manga for the Princess Nine anime?

I did some primitive searching, but couldn't find a manga. I thought that Date's credit could be due to some sort of mistranslation, but the source is in English... Then I looked at his encyclopedia page and his only other credit is for the Ninja Resurrection script. Is Date even a mangaka? Information, anyone?

According to page 3 (inclusive of the cover) of the booklet accompanying AnimeTrax's Princess Nine Soundtrack 1, the original idea was that of producer Yasuhito Yamaki, and Date wrote a novel about it—「明応義塾女子高野球部」 (Mei-o gijuku joshi-ko yakyu-bu, "Mei-o Private Girl's High School Baseball Team")—though I can't find it on Amazon.co.jp. The novel was then developed into the anime. Princess Nine Soundtrack 2's booklet states on page 8 that the idea was inspired by The Natural; conceptualized as a sort of combination of Kyojin no Hoshi, Aim for the Ace!, and Touch.

Here is an interview that mentions the novel.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:11 am Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
According to page 3 (inclusive of the cover) of the booklet accompanying AnimeTrax's Princess Nine Soundtrack 1, the original idea was that of producer Yasuhito Yamaki, and Date wrote a novel about it—「明応義塾女子高野球部」 (Mei-o gijuku joshi-ko yakyu-bu, "Mei-o Private Girl's High School Baseball Team")—though I can't find it on Amazon.co.jp. The novel was then developed into the anime.

Wow, those are valuable info, thanks a lot. I've also added the credit of Yamaki as Planning and Executive Producer (企画・総合プロデューサー). He is also the head of Phoenix Entertainment.

doc-watson42 wrote:

I believe that's the ONLY website with the complete info of the original novel. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:55 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
doc-watson42 wrote:
According to page 3 (inclusive of the cover) of the booklet accompanying AnimeTrax's Princess Nine Soundtrack 1, the original idea was that of producer Yasuhito Yamaki, and Date wrote a novel about it—「明応義塾女子高野球部」 (Mei-o gijuku joshi-ko yakyu-bu, "Mei-o Private Girl's High School Baseball Team")—though I can't find it on Amazon.co.jp. The novel was then developed into the anime.

Wow, those are valuable info, thanks a lot.

You're welcome. Very Happy

dormcat wrote:
I've also added the credit of Yamaki as Planning and Executive Producer (企画・総合プロデューサー). He is also the head of Phoenix Entertainment.

His connection to (though not his exact position in) Phoenix is mentioned in the booklets (oh—Date is credited as the writer of the first booklet's info, and Katsuhiko Goto of NEP21 is credited as the writer of the second), especially by Date, as the latter was amazed that the producer of Urotsukidoji and Giant Robo would want to produce a show as feminine as P9.

dormcat wrote:
I believe that's the ONLY website with the complete info of the original novel. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

I did search using the term ["明応義塾女子高野球部"], and the only other relevant hit was a discussion board.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:12 am Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
I did search using the term ["明応義塾女子高野球部"], and the only other relevant hit was a discussion board.

I saw that one as well. It's not exactly a discussion board; rather, a log file of a 2channel thread. Cool
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:05 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the info guys.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1