• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Now Streaming: Area88 OVA

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Ooooh!! I just bought this DVD a few months ago! Great buy for me.

Just a head up: watch this instead of the TV series. It's half the length but twice the quality!
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Eh I disagree. They are both amazing. Go watch right now people. Very Happy
jsc315

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:59 pm Reply with quote
If this is the original series then Ill definitely check it out. I've heard nothing but great things about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:31 am Reply with quote
ZakuAce wrote:
Eh I disagree. They are both amazing. Go watch right now people. Very Happy

I was kind of disappointed that the ADV copies didn't have all the licensed trance that was present in the Japanese copies. But I managed.

Now if only someone translated all the manga, I'd be a content fan.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:36 am Reply with quote
The TV series is coming later this week. Very Happy

Did they change the music in the TV series, BTW? I know the OP is most certainly still by CyberTrance...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:42 am Reply with quote
Something that always confuses me is that OVA is called as three OVA episodes, yet it clearly works at two feature length OVAs, split nicely onto two DVDs. What's the stipulation, am I missing something? Either way, it's definitely worth owning, especially since it's only $9 on Rightstuf.

That aside, goddamn I love this OVA. I haven't bothered with the TV show, I'm not sure that I will. Nothing can make the amazing animation this 1985 gem presents. It's probably one of the best anime I own, and it's only the one I didn't even bother trying the Japanese, the dub was also excellent. I'm not sure I've found any other plane-related anime with such exhilarating action. Macross Plus has good short bits of it, DYRL has some amazing bits, but none of the others in that franchise really stand up as much. I'd think the only thing that's close is first episode of the Cockpit: Slipstream.

Grumpy Ojii-san, in one of his reviews, says the TV has stuff to offer as well despite the CG planes and probably much lower budget, but I'm not so sure. What did you think, Justin, assuming you've seen it?

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:48 am; edited 2 times in total
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:44 am Reply with quote
Yes, I approve of this. I've been meaning to watch the Area88 OVA for a long time but I kept putting it off. Well no longer I say! I'm going to watch it right now. Thank you ANN.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:45 am Reply with quote
Hawke: Personally, I dig the music we got.

Justin: Maybe if we're lucky, we'll finally get the entire manga legally scantalated.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:48 am Reply with quote
Justin: BTW, think you can pester UV to upload The Cockpit, while you're at it?
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:03 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
The TV series is coming later this week. Very Happy

Did they change the music in the TV series, BTW? I know the OP is most certainly still by CyberTrance...

Some of the music they changed. Anything that was licenced through Avex didn't make it over and got replaced by some music trying to imitate the original. Didn't work so well since a handful of scenes worked around the original -- namely episode two and the scene with the Desert Fangs.

The rest of the OST was made up of jazzy instrumentals, plus the OP and ED, and that made it over.
Battle Cossack

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:03 am Reply with quote
This is great! I've been wanting to watch Area 88 for over a year now, but my anime funds have been pretty low lately. Thanks for posting this and Nobody's Boy, Justin!
I've been starved for quality 70's/80's anime. Got any other titles from that era to which we can look forward?
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:17 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Justin: BTW, think you can pester UV to upload The Cockpit, while you're at it?

I'd love to, except UV hasn't owned that license in many years. No idea who the licensor is. Good idea though, I'll try to track it down.

Sundays will be "Old School Day" for the the next few months. Though honestly I don't have much more right now other than the Toei stuff. (Harlock, GE999, Slam Dunk, Hokuto no Ken), but that's a lot of episodes...

I honestly haven't watched the Area88 TV series yet. I keep meaning to.
RedLeader

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:00 am Reply with quote
I already have this on DVD but it's great that you're making it available for the youngin's! Smile Area 88 always been one of my favorites! I have the TV series too and a HUGE stack of Viz's manga that I found at one store. Anime hyper It's not a complete collection by any means, though. :p

For those of you wondering about the TV series, it's pretty good. It's not perfect. They rename Rocky for some reason and I think they got confused about the time peroid as there shouldn't be a Mac ANYWHERE in there and just like the OAV, it doesn't end with a solid resolution. But it's still pretty good. As epic as the OAV is, the TV show brings the episodic nature of the manga to the fore front to give the characters a bit more room to develop. Not that much more room cause it's pretty short but you get a better sense of Shin's personal hell as it drags on.

Of course, it should go without saying, but if you can find any of the manga, I heartily recommend it as there are stories and developments that neither the OAV OR the TV series ever get into! The fact that Viz never finished it should be considered a crime! Anime hyper
Pandadice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:56 am Reply with quote
Oh hey, I watched this recently after I heard Justin mention it on the ANNCast.

It had some awesome dogfights and aerial sequences (I loved it every time they went to the cockpit's view, then rotated the plane, those shots were awesome). But overall the OVA was just so predictable. It was boring to watch most of the time, because you could already tell exactly what was gonna happen, yet they would unfold it in such a cheesy melodramatic way..

But still a decent OVA, even if it's just cause I'm a sucker for dogfights
noezel7

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:06 am Reply with quote
Wow I remember watching the tv series when I was a fourteen years old and thinking "This is some cool stuff!!"Not something most teenage girls would watch, but I think they should!! Can't wait till it's up on ANN so I can watch it again!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2