• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Montreal Fantasia Festival Announces Animated Awards

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I didn't get to Montreal at all this month, but I'm happy that Mai Mai Miracle won their jury award for Best Animated Feature as I saw it at Ottawa 09 International Animation Festival last October and it's quite honestly my favourite anime film of the past decade since I prefer the gentle slice-of-life stuff and the last movie Ghibli made that falls in that broad category was My Neighbors the Yamadas in 1999.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:28 pm Reply with quote
It's really nice to see all of those films recognized, especially with Mai Mai Miracle and Summer Wars picking up top prizes. I've been watching out for all of these films (with the slight exception of the Yamato one, which I sort of forgot about and also mixed up with the live-action one) as they looked interesting and/or had a good staff attatched to them, so it's a positive sign to see additional recognition laid upon them. The last year or two has been a very strong one for anime films but that aspect has not been touched on very much, probably due to the more restrictive access films have compared to their TV/OVA counterparts outside of Japan. It would be great to have a wider exposure to them here (i.e. VOD, wider theater release), though that probability is slim.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pajmo9

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I really hope some of these start getting licensed soon. I'm really interested in seeing them. Especially Summer Wars and King of Thorn.
Xagor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Surprised people liked King of Thorn enough to vote for it. I wasn't a massive fan. The use of CGI is horrible, and so much in it just seems like coincidence.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I can see why they might have liked it just from the trailer. It looks interesting. I'd really like to see it at some point. I've been interested in it ever since ANN first announced it since it looks like a good sci-fi, horror/thriller.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I can see why they might have liked it just from the trailer. It looks interesting. I'd really like to see it at some point. I've been interested in it ever since ANN first announced it since it looks like a good sci-fi, horror/thriller.

Yeah, same here. It also doesn't hurt that I've liked a few of the other works that Kazuyoshi Katayama and Sunrise have done together in the past. I've also liked Sunrises recent CGI works like SOS! and Freedom. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if it lives up or not.
Xagor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:05 am Reply with quote
The CGI on the monsters can be justified on the grounds it makes them stand out more/ seem more out of place. (Possibly also for plot reasons). I still think the use of it flows worse than normal animation. What was bad was that whenever a human was in a scene with a monster they were also CGI. It was an obvious and jarring change and quite frankly just looked bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1