• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Monday Night Lights

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellomotto73

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I once tried to learn about football for a boy I loved, but he dumped me on Super Bowl Sunday.

Yikes. Sorry to hear that. D: (Then again, SuperBowl Sunday is a sacred tradition, so you should feel honored, I guess...?)

As for those shelves, that person must've spent a fortune. Props to him/her on buying/reorganizing all that stuff.
belindabird
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I've actually been eyeing that otaku-related book on Amazon the past few months. The theory behind it sounds really interesting and I might actually pick it up now that it's been made fresh in my mind again.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Ah, Ninja Nonesense. The anime with the one good Sean Schemmel performance. A rare animal indeed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:31 pm Reply with quote
That Nura is like Yu-Gi-Oh idea actually works when I think about it. Honestly I like the manga better (the pacing just feels better) but the anime definitely seems like a B student who is quite happy with their B.

Normally I don't get that jealous of people's collections but holy cow, I want that collection. Soooo many art boxes, it's so beautiful.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's way less boring than all the time outs and commercial breaks in a regular NFL game.

That's why I couldn't get into pro-wrestling, but I like Ultimate Muscle. The latter cuts out all the long-winded trash talk.

Quote:
My husband periodically objected to illegal moves, leaving us to wonder if the rules of American football in Japan are slightly different.

I heard the rules are different for the basketball they play in Slam Dunk, but have not been able to verify it.
jyuichi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see someone besides me bought "Otaku" and is enjoying it. Its a dense read but well worth the effort. Join me in hoping the sequel is translated soon Anime hyper
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Those shelves are awesomeness. I normally eschew old school box sets for space and money considerations, but damn, they shure doo look purty.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Sean fans should see Nonsense at LEAST once. It's proof that he has more going for him than just his legendary trademark.

As for the comment on how the lesbian is neither hurts nor adds... it's spot on.
In fact, it's so... underused, that I wondered why have it in the first place...

Comparing it to Sgt. Frog was a good idea. It's one of the VERY few non-Funi dubs that changes enough stuff in a good way that one can say: Yep, this here is better.
It's funny. The more I hear about My Bride is a Mermaid from professionals, the more I "don't" wanna watch it.

I usually take chances against the pros word, when the situation warrants (Speed Grapher, Aura Battler Dunbine, Dead Leaves, Hayate, Angel Links, certain Chobits reviews, Vampire Bund, Gravion, and Kannazuki no Miko), and have found them to be far more enjoyable then they've ascertained.
Granted, "to each his own", comes into account. But comedy? Yeah that's a bit difficult....

I wanted to buy ALL that Funi would release of Sgt. Frog once i heard Bruce Elliot say "Wheel... OF.... Fortune!!!" in episode 4!!!
But, after sampling one ep of Mermaid dubbed, all I can say is: "huh?"
But... that's probably because no one has properly explained it's methods of madness...(wink, wink)

As for 21, I watched Viz's dub a while back of the first 4 eps, had they gone further, it probably would've hooked me to the end! (Now Cross Game has the honor of being my first)
It's interesting to know that someone, anyone, would call it Shelf Worthy.

Nura. Hmmmm..... Nura.....
Can I just say, that my shonen buzz is on and off?
Honestly, the next shonen I'll finish is Soul Eater. It's just too different in everything it does... It's no FMA(first), but... it's fun as hell!!!

After that.... I might start Hunter x Hunter. Primarily because I like the manga(a lot!) from what I've read, and I'm Togashi is one of my gods, for writing one of the most well-rounded shonen series ever: Yu Yu Hakusho.
Oh, and also Sahashi's musical genius isn't a big tip-off either!
The Nagabuchi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote
What an awesome collection! This is exactly why I'm not a fan of digitally distributed anime in any form - I vastly prefer to end up with a nice big collection (albeit not quite as big as that one).
Kudos to you SonRyu, kudos. I dont think I've seen that many boxes in one place outside of Mandarake!
YuYuUrameshi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:54 pm Reply with quote
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! DO MORE EYESHIELD!
The manga is heads and tails better, but the series as a whole is just so great, even for non-football fans. I'd really like to hear more about what you think of the series.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:28 pm Reply with quote
YuYuUrameshi wrote:
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! DO MORE EYESHIELD!

Hah! Luckily disc 2 arrived in the mail recently.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I love sports shows.

But I hate gross exaggerations. (like opponents turning into giant amphibians and being able to reach like 10 feet in front of them)

So I hated Eyeshield, but love Touch/Cross Game/Major/etc.
Kyosuke_

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Nice collection SonRyu, you have a lot of similar boxes as I. I really dig your custom Paul Champagne boxes, though (I wish I had a Card Captor Sakura box for all those DVDs I have!). This leads me to ask, if you designed a lot of them, does that mean you were on the design team?
Quark

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, those shelves, they are beautiful. Everything is so nicely arranged, and alphabetized and...*wipes away tear*
Those Paul Champagne boxes are awesome. I should see if I could possibly get one made for my Card Captor Sakura and Nadia DVDs (I've got this ugly set from ADV where it's one of those big bulky cases, with the little dividers. ICK), and various other awesome shows that are currently missing pretty box art. It's nice to see another collector who appreciates singles packed in a box decorated with pretty pictures.
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:33 am Reply with quote
Erin Finnegan wrote:
The heavily implied homosexual angle was neither a detractor nor an added value.

Says you, Shinobu's crush on Kaede was adorable! Smile Her line about Kaede being 'more than a friend, less than a lover' still sticks with me to this day.

As for a toy, the previous release came with 2: a ninja trainee headband like the ones Shinobu and her sister Miyabi wear, and an Onsokumaru foam squeeze toy. As big a nerd as I am, I used to wear the headband whenever I watched the show.

Also, I have to really agree with the high re-watch value. There's SO MUCH going on in the background that you're bound to miss a lot of it the first time or 2. I wouldn't be surprised if I watched it again now and still found something new.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3