• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: BlazBlue Game Director: I Wouldn't Like 3D Miyazaki

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Now that's a man I can admired so much, 2d is alive and alot of people should understand this completely. He's very opened and doesn't care what people think overall. Keeping 2D alive for the greater future.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Miyazaki should try putting out a good 2D movie again before he gets into 3D.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
PiercingArrow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:25 pm Reply with quote
yea i like 2d better rather than putting 3d on it. i dont really think that 3d animation are matching with 2d animation. I don't know, maybe some people likes 2d-3d mixture in a series. But i dont.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:02 pm Reply with quote
BlackJaded wrote:
Now that's a man I can admired so much, 2d is alive and alot of people should understand this completely. He's very opened and doesn't care what people think overall. Keeping 2D alive for the greater future.

Agreed. Even after sixteen years and counting, I've still never really warmed up to 3D. 2D certainly, it's one of my favorites and even after the 90's is still great.

Does that mean I am anti 3D? No, I've bought 3D games in the past and will in the future. It's just I'd pick 2D before 3D because I've been playing 2D games for a very long time.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Considering how GORGEOUS Blazblue is I can definitely respect that. I have gotten sick of realism in the gaming industry because, unfortunately, it has a limit. In the interview Mori says even if he did another genre (like an RPG for example) he'd still make it in 2D
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Considering how GORGEOUS Blazblue is I can definitely respect that. I have gotten sick of realism in the gaming industry because, unfortunately, it has a limit. In the interview Mori says even if he did another genre (like an RPG for example) he'd still make it in 2D

Not really. Blazblue has stiff animation, lacks details/shadowing to the characters. Kof 12/13 on the other hand has looks much better despite being 480p.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:59 pm Reply with quote
riiiiiight, and KoF XII also happens to be a clumsy fighting game that was a gigantic disappointment and XIII is so buggy that they needed to make glitch rules for tournaments. Plus considering how much praise has been given to Blazblue's aesthetics I believe your argument is a bit faulty
Jadress

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:26 pm Reply with quote
WORD. I always feel sort of old fashioned next to all my friends playing the latest AAA shooter, but I really, truly prefer 2D games, both for aesthetics and also gameplay. It always bums me out that Vanillaware games don't sell here.. I am not sure how popular they are in Japan, but they are just gorgeous. Now if only more American game companies who were hiring artists had the same mindset.. Anime cry *sigh*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
anemayfan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Lots of respect to someone willing to follow his convictions rather than jumping onto the latest trends. Although I have fantasies about having 3D holographic work stations, I also appreciate the talent artists display creating paintings and drawings on a 2D format.
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:50 pm Reply with quote
2D and stylized graphics will always age better for me. Its nice to hear people are still making them. Wish there were more American studios doing 2D instead of the 3D stuff that's been going on for awhile. I also feel that some people today think 2D is "old" and shouldn't be used anymore, that's just crazy. I consider it design choices that should go the way of the dodo.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:18 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
riiiiiight, and KoF XII also happens to be a clumsy fighting game that was a gigantic disappointment and XIII is so buggy that they needed to make glitch rules for tournaments. Plus considering how much praise has been given to Blazblue's aesthetics I believe your argument is a bit faulty

Well there's a lot of people who still think anything Anime is kiddy, doesn't make them right.

Purely sprite-wise, KoF XII/XIII IS much more fluidly animated. XIII is especially amazing considering how they worked in alternate costumes with the variety of a 3D fighter. Not arguing against the barebones package of XII and the worrisome glitches for XIII (which aren't THAT bad and are sure to get ironed out in a console release). Just sprites and graphics-wise. I think there are just some people who get caught up with the flashiness of GG and BB and just don't "notice" some of the "meh-tastic" animation.

Sorry to all those BB fans. Don't want to come across as the Gloomy Gus, I just don't see the amazing factor. I bought Guilty Gear, buying into the hype, and despite being really slick, I pretty much shelved the game after an hour or so. I might get BlazBlue one of these days just so I can accurately and fairly judge it, but it just doesn't interest me. It LOOKS slick like its big sister series, but it has that same uninspired set of music and characters too.

I feel for SNK though, I still think they've got the BEST library of unique and memorable fighting game characters around, but they just.dont.have.the.manpower of their rivals to make solid titles.

Anyway, went off on a tangent there, we're talking 2D here, and despite me not agreeing with everyone's love of BB I DO like and respect a company who loves the aesthetics of a 2D fighter. I'd happily choose BlazBlue over something like Tekken anyday, not only for visuals, but I prefer the way that 2D fighters play.
Novium

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:25 am Reply with quote
3D animation is the last thing Miyazaki would ever go to, considering the fact that he disdains it.

I wish we can see more games that use stylistic art style like BlazBlue, but unfortunately those games are too far in between because a lot of gamers' demand for uber-realistic graphics or anything that looks like Crysis. I'm happy for games that use style over horse-power.

Hard Corps Uprising looks fantastic btw (done by Aksys)
DKL

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:57 am Reply with quote
I don't really understand what the stance is:

A game that moves in 2D or 2D aesthetics?

Unless my mind is completely crapping out on me right now, I'm pretty sure BB has some [crappy] 3D in it...

In particular, this is pretty apparent during Astral Finishes and in some of the stages...

It's not a full 2D game in terms of its visuals...
Novium

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:01 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
I don't really understand what the stance is:

A game that moves in 2D or 2D aesthetics?

It's more or less 2D aesthetics or design because of the character design. The game does have 2D movement, but that's a different story; I for one love 2D movement.

DKL wrote:
Unless my mind is completely crapping out on me right now, I'm pretty sure BB has some [crappy] 3D in it...

The CG looked pretty cool to me, especially the backgrounds. I love the animations in the backgrounds, but if they were all hand-drawn and painted on cels... *head explodes*

DKL wrote:
In particular, this is pretty apparent during Astral Finishes and in some of the stages...

Unfortunately I haven't played the game too much, hell I don't own as it play it at my campus' arcade, but I'll take your word for it.

DKL wrote:
It's not a full 2D game in terms of its visuals...

I think what the man was stressing character design more than the visual backdrops or the effects. The hand-drawn sprites make the game look like an anime, hence 2D. That's just my simplification.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:27 am Reply with quote
I like both, but wish people would stop thinking of 3D as the way of the future and 2D as retro. It's like, "We just invented Cubism -- you can stop painting portraits now."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2