• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Eyeshield 21 GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaestroDelphine

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:23 am Reply with quote
Laughing I have never even heard of this manga !!! Some of the people that play sports don't even know what a book is yet alone a manga!!! Sports mangas are a weak attempt by book publishers to gain more money from a rarely used genre!!! Sports manga = evil >.<
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:42 am Reply with quote
Eyeshield 21 is an excellent sports manga. The first volume exceeded every expectation I had for the series, quickly making it one of my highest priorities in manga. I admit to liking football a bit more than most readers, but that doesn't go very far in my enjoyment of Eyeshield 21. Not to mention it has some good humor to boot. Excellent review.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:04 am Reply with quote
MaestroDelphine wrote:
Laughing I have never even heard of this manga !!! Some of the people that play sports don't even know what a book is yet alone a manga!!! Sports mangas are a weak attempt by book publishers to gain more money from a rarely used genre!!! Sports manga = evil >.<

Or, god forbid, the people writing the stories happen to like said sport and as such write stories about it?

Mind not being such a frothing idiot next time?
MaestroDelphine

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:41 am Reply with quote
As if your post was not as trivial (or more) than my post was...just stating my opinion and if you don't like it then don't reply to it in such a rude way.
hooliganj

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:46 pm Reply with quote
MaestroDelphine, your theory doesn't quite meet with economic reality. The truth is, many of the best selling titles in manga history have been sports series. Comics like Touch, Slam Dunk, Captain Tsubasa and Yawara were all blockbusters in their respective days.

As for Eyeshield 21, I've read several volumes already and found it to be funnier and more consistantly so than most so-called comedy manga and more exciting than many pure action series. It's a quality title that's worth a look whether or not you like football.

But I need to know... did Viz leave Hiruma's swearing alone? In the original, he uses the F-word in almost every sentence. Sena is the F'ing chibi, Kurita is the F'ing debu, surrounding objects are F'ing cars, F'ing opponents or just F'ing garbage. It's definitely his favorite word, and he says it in english, so there's no doubt as to the translation. The TV series changes his swearing to say 'kuso', but how did Viz tackle this particular problem, since they haven't slapped a teen+ or mature label on it?

(Pardon my self-censorship, but you never know who's going o be reading this sort of thing. Safe to say, the reckless elf doesn't abrieviate himself.)
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Actaully, it DOES have a T+ rating and they still toned it down.
milcor1

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:01 pm Reply with quote
hooliganj wrote:
MaestroDelphine, your theory doesn't quite meet with economic reality. The truth is, many of the best selling titles in manga history have been sports series. Comics like Touch, Slam Dunk, Captain Tsubasa and Yawara were all blockbusters in their respective days.

As for Eyeshield 21, I've read several volumes already and found it to be funnier and more consistantly so than most so-called comedy manga and more exciting than many pure action series. It's a quality title that's worth a look whether or not you like football.

But I need to know... did Viz leave Hiruma's swearing alone? In the original, he uses the F-word in almost every sentence. Sena is the F'ing chibi, Kurita is the F'ing debu, surrounding objects are F'ing cars, F'ing opponents or just F'ing garbage. It's definitely his favorite word, and he says it in english, so there's no doubt as to the translation. The TV series changes his swearing to say 'kuso', but how did Viz tackle this particular problem, since they haven't slapped a teen+ or mature label on it?

(Pardon my self-censorship, but you never know who's going o be reading this sort of thing. Safe to say, the reckless elf doesn't abrieviate himself.)

They turned his F-word into "Damn Fatty!" but I've heard from other people that while unfortunate this doesn't really take away from his character and that the rest of the translation is quite excellent. People should give it a chance and see that even with the toning down the impact isn't lost and it's still a great manga overall.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:24 pm Reply with quote
MaestroDelphine wrote:
Sports mangas are a weak attempt by book publishers to gain more money from a rarely used genre!!! Sports manga = evil >.<

Did you ever think that the purpose of sports manga is to get reader into sports? For example, Slam Dunk has basically promoted BBAll in that Japan, when BBall wasn't that popular. Inoue loves bball and while bbal wasn't popular at the time, he still wrote about bball because that's what he love.

And I know Prince of Tennis has made some people go out and play tennis. And hey, a lot of fat people need excercise too, can't be sitting around reading books all day. But if you never read a sports manga before, or just an anti-sport individual, then shut up next time.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 1:54 am Reply with quote
MaestroDelphine wrote:

How is "gaining more money from a rarely used genre" evil, exactly? Isn't that better than rehashing genres we've seen a million times? Or are you saying they SHOULDEN'T be trying to make money off of manga? Cause, that's a pretty bad way to run a buissness.

Anyway, as was pointed out elsewhere, sports manga and anime are a very popular and prolific genre in Japan-both shonen (Tommorow's Joe, Major, Captain Tsubasa) and Shojo (Aim For the Ace!, Princess Nine) anthologies usually have a couple of sports manga. And ES21 is one of the best, plus it's essentially introduced Japan to a sport most of the country knew nothing about. So you see, not only is it well-written, funny, and laden with F-words, it's edumacational.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1