• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hayao Miyazaki Does Volunteer Work at 'Totoro's Forest'

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spoofer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:57 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one who woke up with hazy vision, and misread the current top article on the site as "Hayao Miyazaki Dies something something"...?

That certainly woke me up... And nearly gave me a heart attack...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:55 am Reply with quote
Knowing his age and the amount for fags he smokes daily I'm surprised it didn't give him one as well.
_V_

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:58 am Reply with quote
I am shocked to discover that this forest, which I've often heard referred to as a national treasure as one of the few really beautiful natural forests they have....is only slightly bigger than a *football field*?

Has the natural environment of Japan already become so deteriorated that this is all that's left?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:10 am Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
I am shocked to discover that this forest, which I've often heard referred to as a national treasure as one of the few really beautiful natural forests they have....is only slightly bigger than a *football field*?

Has the natural environment of Japan already become so deteriorated that this is all that's left?
Only cause it's close to Tokyo. Actually only about 15% of the whole archipelago is inhabited, Tokyo being the largest and densely populated. The rest is completely wild and uninhabitable because of it's sharp mountainous terrain and subject to massive land and rock slides during earthquakes, which only the more hearty, or crazy, of mountaineers live.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:26 pm Reply with quote
was i the only one who read this then pictured miyazaki 'helping' by standing around yelling the japanese equivalent to 'stay off my lawn! damn kids!'

he's really gotta kick the crotchety old man image he's made for himself. i want to think nice things about him, it just doesn't usually happen that way.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:19 am Reply with quote
TJ_Kat, seriously?! Is that the image than an active environmentalist brings to mind for you? I happen to LIVE in Tokorozawa (the city where he lives) and work in Higashi-Murayama (where this park is), and I've been to Mitaka many times (where the Ghibli Museum is). I can tell you that Tokorozawa and Higashi-Murayama are some of the most beautiful places that Tokyo has to offer, largely due to the efforts of this crotchety old man. As for Mitaka... 30 years ago the place was a dump, with its river one of the most polluted in all of Japan. Miyazaki spearheaded a clean-up project, and now the city is filled with lush vegetation, the river looks so clean I'm tempted to fill my water bottle in it, and it's so beautiful that people will take the train there just to take a walk in the numerous parks.

The man is a local hero, and for good reason. I only wish I would have known about this cleanup project so I could have biked down to join them.
Sora/Sanctuary

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:19 am Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
TJ_Kat, seriously?! Is that the image than an active environmentalist brings to mind for you? I happen to LIVE in Tokorozawa (the city where he lives) and work in Higashi-Murayama (where this park is), and I've been to Mitaka many times (where the Ghibli Museum is). I can tell you that Tokorozawa and Higashi-Murayama are some of the most beautiful places that Tokyo has to offer, largely due to the efforts of this crotchety old man. As for Mitaka... 30 years ago the place was a dump, with its river one of the most polluted in all of Japan. Miyazaki spearheaded a clean-up project, and now the city is filled with lush vegetation, the river looks so clean I'm tempted to fill my water bottle in it, and it's so beautiful that people will take the train there just to take a walk in the numerous parks.

The man is a local hero, and for good reason. I only wish I would have known about this cleanup project so I could have biked down to join them.

Isn't that the same river Miyazaki talked about pulling a bicycle out of when he was younger that was his inspiration for no face in Spirited Away?
bravetailor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:39 pm Reply with quote
TJ_Kat wrote:
was i the only one who read this then pictured miyazaki 'helping' by standing around yelling the japanese equivalent to 'stay off my lawn! damn kids!'

he's really gotta kick the crotchety old man image he's made for himself. i want to think nice things about him, it just doesn't usually happen that way.

I'm only 32 and I'm already a crotchety old man.

And I wouldn't at all be offended if someone thought of me that way.

There's a lot in this world to be grumpy about. Today's youth is just but one of them!
Ranmah

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I hope to visit that park when I come back to Tokyo.

Such an uplifting story. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:07 pm Reply with quote
sorry, i didn't mean to suggest miyazaki hasn't made huge, selfless contributions in reality. i don't doubt it.

however, he does have a bit of a reputation for being a crab, and what i said was the first image that came to mind. and he had that smug look on his face like in the clip where john lasseter introduces him on all disney's ghibli releases. it was a funny mental image, so i shared.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:35 am Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:

Short answer, yes. One day, I set out on a bike with a picnic lunch and a map trying to find the place (which is known around here as Hachi-Koku Yama [The 8-Country Mountain], not Fushi no Mori), and when I got there, my first reaction was "This is it?" There is a cell phone tower literally 4 feet outside of the park. Not very Totoro-ish...

It is, however, a beautiful forest.

TJ_Kat, sorry to misintepret you. Had there actually been a picture of him in the ANN article, your comment would have been more understandable. With no picture, I assumed you were getting "crotchety old man" from the context of the story itself. My bad. I understand what you mean now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1