• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Madhouse's X-Men Anime Designs, Cast Revealed

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yamiangie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:58 am Reply with quote
Is there a reason that the concept art for Cyclops makes him look a bit feminine?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:05 am Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:
Is there a reason that the concept art for Cyclops makes him look a bit feminine?

He might as well, because animated versions always make Cyclops into a bitch. (Not that he isn't.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:34 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
yamiangie wrote:

He might as well, because animated versions always make Cyclops into a bitch. (Not that he isn't.)

Booya *high 5*

What's up with random Japanese mutant chick? They already have Psylocke! C'mon son!
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The American network G4 plans to begin running these four titles this year.

SONAVABITCH!!! Ugh, why air on that network that people don't have?
TopGunman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:19 am Reply with quote
I guess I will give it a try. I liked it when X-Men was more conservative and then it became too liberal with the god-awful movies. Only good cast was Hugh Jackman, that's it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:28 am Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
I liked it when X-Men was more conservative and then it became too liberal

lolwut
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:29 am Reply with quote
Nice to see Aya Hisakawa in a new role.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:00 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
TopGunman wrote:
I liked it when X-Men was more conservative and then it became too liberal

lolwut

Referring to the underlying social issues that are addressed by the X-Men stories
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:01 am Reply with quote
When was X-men ever conservative? They spent the 60's mirroring racial tensions, the 70's focusing on an international, multiracial team, the 80's on making women kick butt [at some points having more female characters than male], the 90's with a psuedo-aids disease as running plot, and the 00's as all of that crammed into Bryan Singers movies.

Tomibiki wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
yamiangie wrote:

Booya *high 5*

What's up with random Japanese mutant chick? They already have Psylocke! C'mon son!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armor_%28comics%29 That's Armor, she was introduced in the comics a few years ago in Astonishing X-men by Joss Whedon. Since I think the anime will be set partly in Japan, they're using her as part of the plot. Also, Psylocke's British.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:12 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Also, Psylocke's British.

Originally British, but her mind was transferred to the body of a Japanese Assassin.
DCR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:41 am Reply with quote
I'm so happy that they acknowledge recent continuity with Hisako and Frosties in the team, and U-Men as villains!

I was expecting another series with an all 70's/80's nostalgic cast and the first villains being overexploited ones like Magneto or the Sentinels, but it looks like Madhouse realised that comics still existed after 1990!

Also, Jean is dead. Thank you!

Now if only they could put Hisako in the Wolverine anime too, alongside with X-23 and Daken...
sepherest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:23 am Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:

It looks like they kept in his original costume that covers his hair up, but I wonder how long he'll actually appear in it. I just pray he is not a angsty vegan, like he was in the OEL manga....

Just saw the trailer for the new live-action film too, glad Bryan Singer's back on the series with a decent crew. Hopefully he'll put them back on track.

DCR wrote:
Also, Jean is dead. Thank you!

It feels like this has become a running gag in the series
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:32 am Reply with quote
I am a rather nerdy guy. I can recite Holy Grail verbatim. I've had epic arguments over Star Wars canon. Heck, I spend my free time trolling websites about Japanese cartoons. But I have never read a single superhero comic in my life. I seen some of the movies, and I know who these characters are through cultural osmosis, but I have always found the steroid-driven, spandex-wearing superhero to be completely, utterly boring. And so while I wish the best of this series, and I hope it makes money for the companies, this is something that just isn't for me. I fell in love with anime because it was something that was so different than anything I had ever experienced, and all these Marvel retreads that are being turned out of late are making me awfully depressed. Fortunately, I can solve that problem with alcohol and Madoka.

/In a bizarre coincidence, I just watched the 94th episode of Lupin III: Part 2, titled "Lupin Vs Superman". But I'm guessing that DC wasn't involved in the production of that.
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:56 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Paploo wrote:
Also, Psylocke's British.

Originally British, but her mind was transferred to the body of a Japanese Assassin.

Kwannon's nationality was never specified, though yeah, it makes Betsy sort of asian. But not exactly Japanese- Sunfire, Sunpyre, Yukio, Mariko Yashida, Ogun, Lady Deathstrike, Silver Samurai and Armor are X-men characters of Japanese nationality.

Plus, originally Claremont just intended it to be plastic surgery. It's kind of an odd subplot [though Psylocke's still a fave of mine mind you]

Anyhoo, maybe she'll have a cameo? Too bad Wolverine+The X-men didn't have a 2nd season so they could expand her role....

Jubilee's the best asian-origin X-person anyhoo Smile
DCR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:33 am Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:

This makes me think... The only way I could accept an X-Men anime team including only old iconic characters would be if they were all rule 63ed. That would be so awesome!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3