• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Deaimon: Recipe for Happiness (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:00 pm Reply with quote

Deaimon: Recipe for Happiness (TV)

Genres:
Themes:

Plot Summary: Nagomu is a man who had left his home family's confectionery shop in Kyoto to become a musician. Upon hearing that his father has been hospitalized, though, he comes back home to take over the family business. However, while he was gone, a young girl named Itsuka started working at the shop.

The whereabouts of Itsuka's parents is unknown and she has no other relatives, leaving Nagomu as a type of foster parent. But Itsuka disapproves Nagomu's past decision to abandon his family and proclaims that she will take over the shop, one day, instead.

Apr. 6, 2022 (Wednesdays; Crunchyroll)
----------------------------------

I like the key art. Looks like it'll be a slice-of-life type show. Color me interested.
ACxS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:35 pm Reply with quote
1–2:

You know, it's a little unusual.

Usually, it's the son who is reluctant (and often angtsy) when he's being told to inherit his father's business, and that he wants to pursue something he likes (and often it's music). Here however, the roles are reversed: Nagomu is happy to inherit his father's business even when the father doesn't want to. And I'm also inclined to think that he is presumptuous: after leaving Kyoto (for what, 10 years) to pursue his dream only to come back when his band went bust... I'd be mad too if I were his dad.

But I know: this show is about Japanese confectionery. More importantly, the stories of people and their love for Japanese confectionery. The Hallmark Show of the Season. The crux of the show is Itsuka's missing father, which I know will make his appearance later in the show. It's no coincidence that he's also a musician like Nagomu: did he leave Itsuka because he thought his daughter was a deadweight to his career? Where is he now? Did his band also went bust like Nagomu? We will learn soon.

I'm not completely won over by the show. Seems a little too vanilla. But I can stick around; it's a healing kind of show that I can watch at any time of the day.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 9:05 pm Reply with quote
This show is my healing anime this season. I know that annoying baby angel show is supposed to be healing, but it just bothers me, but this show...Ahhh.
I love the family focus, the characters all being caring, just so much about this show gives me happy chill vibes.

Even the drama this last episode felt like it was nicely resolved with Itsuka most likely getting to stay at the Ryokushou instead of being forced to go with her mother who has been absent from her life. I also loved how there wasn't the drama of her only overhearing at the sports festival that she was a pain to be with/look after, instead also getting to hear "she's a precious member of our family." That avoidance of the common drama pitfall was welcome.

I continue to look forward to the day she gets reunited with her father who stays in her thoughts, I can't imagine this show avoids that, but I am curious to see how it gets handled. I love the warm family time this show offers.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:19 am Reply with quote
Final:

5.5/10.

I'll be blunt: I don't feel like there's anything particularly special about the show. Its central motif of Japanese confectionery and the thought that goes into each and every one of them is very earnest, but that's about it. The characters are all nice and likable, but they are secondary to the central motif. Very wholesome overall. Like Hallmark/NHK wholesome.

I do feel like Itsuka's story with her father lacked closure. From the onset, I was betting that the goal of the show was to see Itsuka reuniting with her father one way or another, but seeing how the show went with "he just wasn't ready to see you again" felt like a cop-out. Itsuka looking for her father was the overarching plot the whole time, so it felt only natural that she did find him eventually, and not just "well, someday". We didn't even get to see the father's current story; the show revealed that he was actually Nagomu's senpai, and decided to just leave it at that?

Because of that, I deducted another 0.5 points to an otherwise 6/10. It was a nice show, but "nice" is just a nicer way of saying "not bad" for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1