• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Coming Up Short

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
No Comment

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I was SO happy that you mentioned Astro Fighter Sunred! It's one of my favorite anime comedies, and definitely needs more fans. I love how it is pretty much a Super Sentai Slice of Slice with some really weird humor at times. I too wish it was at least on Crunchyroll or something.

I have the every show from Anime Complex in my To Watch list. I'll get to it all one day. I've seen and really liked Di Gi Charat, and some other parts of Wonderful are also waiting to be seen.

I like short anime, because it's less of a commitment and feels like there's more episodes if there's two split in a half hour. Sometimes, I feel like they have more potential to fail since they don't have as much time to prove themselves. For recent shorts, Inferno Cop was awesome, but Senyuu didn't really do anything for me. I'm also making sure to give Muromi-san a crack this season.

Last edited by No Comment on Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Sexy Commando is definitely amazing, all Cromartie High Fans should definitely check it out! It's stupid in a similar, yet very different at the same time sort of way.

Kurogane Communication is something I only saw more recently. It might be OOP, but I still see it for around $25 on eBay. Poor Media Blasters, so many awesome titles like this one and Simoun don't sell as well as they totally should.

That Astro Fighter Sunder thing sounds exactly like my cup of tea, I can't wait to check that one out! I've actually wondered myself why [adult swim] doesn't air Cromartie High, it seems like it'd fit in so well with their 15 minute series. And it's already dubbed! Unlike other series, I wouldn't air this on their revived Toonami block, unless it were Saturday night before Toonami officially started or something, I could just see this on their weeknight stuff.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:33 pm Reply with quote
You know I always thought that Azumanga was paced weirdly and felt like it should've been five minute shorts instead of full episodes, now I know! And, to add to the list of shows which had shorter running times, apparently for the second half of Princess Tutu they didn't have a full timeslot and had to split each episode up into 15 minute episodes, although I don't think it was planned that way from the start and each episode still has a 25 minute "story" so it's a bit different from the examples you gave.
rheiders

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:48 pm Reply with quote
So it was really sweet and confusing, but I got a semi-bizarre Japanese calendar from my grandmother for Christmas with weird rabbit characters in swimsuits all over it. Now, thanks to this column, I know they are the characters of Usavich. I'll have to give it a shot, if only to have some context for the pictures in my calendar xD;

I don't watch a lot of short anime, but I did recently get into Inferno Cop. I wasn't really that into it for the first two episodes or so, but for some reason I couldn't stop watching. It's kind of mesmerizing. Now I find myself cracking up every episode. I'll be finished with it soon, sadly.

The only other short I could actually consider myself a fan of is, unsurprisingly, Hetalia. Hey, don't judge! xD Oh, and AzuDai.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:09 pm Reply with quote
No love for REC? >:
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Ebichu and Sunred are my favorite short-segment anime, even if they frequently repeat the same jokes. In the former, Kotono Mitsuishi really sells Ebichu's innocent, not-so-innocent charm. In the latter, I love the humor of these fantastic creatures doing mundane things and actually being better citizens than the hero. It's too bad they are both impossible to market over here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
geishageek

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I am a huge fan of Usavich. I have watched all the episodes on youtube and crave the day when they do more.

I also need to check out Sunred at some point. Sounds like a great time.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Yurumates was good, but my favourite short from last year was Teekyuu. It was absurd and blisteringly paced: it had more comedy in its two minutes than many "comedies" I watched last year. And in jokes-per-minute it left all of them in the dust.

I also loved Inferno Cop. It was the perfect fusion of laziness and ex-Gainax crew. Probably the most artfully-produced cheap nonsense I've ever seen. It hit me in episode ten that rather than simply being stupid, Inferno Cop is genius in its abandonment of plot and logic. The sheer style with which it wandered off-topic was just perfect. The show never stops shunting Inferno Cop from crime scene to underwater battle to spoiler[himself on trial for murder] to hospital to Hell to a high-octane race... He eventually winds up in a pyramid he wanders into for little reason, defeats a hilariously Castlevania-esque mummy and claims his tomb as he is the new ruler of the pyramid. There's a brilliantly-timed pause while the pace finally stops and we wonder just what the hell happened before IC gets a call from his boss (his ringtone being the German gibberish theme song, of course) and it occurs to him how completely he's wandered from his original objective.

It's glorious. The plot and character and above all animation are hilariously deliberately terrible but by hontou no kami - iie, "Real God", the comedy is perfect. Top-tier work, as expected of Trigger. Anyone can be stupid, but like with anything it takes skill to do it well. Also, thanks for sharing Little Witch Academia, it deserves to be seen.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:49 am Reply with quote
Funny you should mention Armor Tiger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9LNn01XYnw

Guy gets points for putting so much effort into the cosplay.

Quote:
like a gorilla dancing in a bathrobe

I want to see that! :D

And I would like to add that Inferno Cop is freakin' hilarious. XD
eddynavis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:19 am Reply with quote
Little Witch Academia is such a treat! Thanks for the homework Smile
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:19 am Reply with quote
IIRC, wasn't Tweeny Witches episodes only about 12-13 minutes long each? That was a fun show with some great art quality (the show looked so good they didn't even bother to animate new scenes for the OP, just used the cool ones from the show).
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:23 am Reply with quote
Ah, Ebichu. Man that takes me back.

Inferno Cop won me over just for their creators being obvious comic fans. spoiler[The main villain turning out to be the Scarlet Witch] cracked me up.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I remember that there was a series of shorts that wasn't mentioned in Mr. Toole's article. It was called "Ramen Fighter Miki." From what I've read,it seems to be a salute to American cartoons like "Tom and Jerry" and the Warner Brothers shorts. I'd love to see it dubbed into English,just simply on that basis alone.
Also,about "Inferno Cop." I wouldn't be surprised if someday,it were brought to America and dubbed into English and shown on Adult Swim. It would fit in perfectly there.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I quite liked Moritasan wa Mukushi.

A series I would not have watched if I didn't have Crunchyroll on my Roku was Haiyou! Nyaruani: Remember My Mr. Lovecraft, which Crunchyroll picked up as part of getting Nyarko-san: Another Crawling Chaos. I could watch two or three of the short ones in a row, but dropped the longer form version.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:27 am Reply with quote
I'm happy to see Colorful get mentioned, that's a really underrated one
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2