• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Box sets?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isaacada1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 11:03 am Reply with quote
Should manga companies start creating special boxsets for manga titles like what's so prevelant in anime releases? There's a few manga boxsets on the market right now(Nausicaa Perfect collection comes to mind). Would this be profitable for manga companies to do(ie would you the consumer hold off on a series to buy the box set)?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
billslates

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I would rather prefer that if the series is smaller, that they just put them all together in one big tome. That way its a bit easier to store, and it doesn't seem as "cheap".
radicaledward

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Personaly I think it is a good idea, and a realy good idea if the box sets are cheaper that buying the volumes one-by-one (I've already spent close to 40$ on Chobits, and the entire set isn't out yet) I have seen some box set (Magic Knight Rayearth) and they seem to be nicely presented with some extras for the buyer. And for the smaller sets I think is would be a good idea to just lump them together in an anthology.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Well the rayearth Box's (box 2 isnt out yet) is the only way to get Rayearth unflipped in english until later on. Tokyopop is releasing then in 2 box sets then will release em individualy. ONe thing the box sets have is a little bonus book with some Trivia and some other stuff. Also there is a Cowboy Bebop Box set for the Manga but its a Suncoast and there other stores only special.

For the smaller series 3-4 volumes I would go for a box for the bigger ones i dont think a box would be resonably priced since instead of 30 dollers (ie rayearth) it would be something like 120 (ie a 12 volume series) its alot easyer for smaller budgeted fans (like myself) to plop down 30 in one shot then 120. Now 4 box sets of 30 dollers each would work nicely also.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:25 pm Reply with quote
isaacada1 wrote:
Should manga companies start creating special boxsets for manga titles?

That's a very interesting. It would be pretty cool to have a box to hold full series... I'd love to have all 42 DB books in nice boxes or something along those lines.

As for how to sell them, the Anime industry has come to a very good method of selling Box +1 at teh start and then collected box at the end... perhaps the Manga industry could do the same.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
isaacada1 wrote:
Should manga companies start creating special boxsets for manga titles?

That's a very interesting. It would be pretty cool to have a box to hold full series... I'd love to have all 42 DB books in nice boxes or something along those lines.

As for how to sell them, the Anime industry has come to a very good method of selling Box +1 at teh start and then collected box at the end... perhaps the Manga industry could do the same.

ad in the new shonen jump {issue 5} said Viz was going to be offering boxes to put the DB and DBZ manga in for those that buy all 7 of each volume in the rerelease I belive its going to be some sort of promo thing ie send in something ans shipping and handeling.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mreow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind more box sets for manga. Series which span 3-4 books is perfect for a box and I hope TP releases more boxes like the MRK ones.

(_//=^_^=\\_)

Mreow
isaacada1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 2:20 am Reply with quote
Lone Wolf and Cub could probably be in three sets.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:44 am Reply with quote
well, having already bought MKR and Cowboy Bebop (not shooting stars) before they came out in boxsets, I was alittle annoyed. Had I known that they were going to be in box sets I def. would have waited because the boxset would have been teh same price as buying them separately but I would have liked to get the extra book Sad
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:39 pm Reply with quote
rightstuf is taking pre-orders for a boxset for the first 3 vol. of Ragnorak... I think this is nice, but then, I would have preferred to have gotten the empty box when I bought the first vol. instead of buying the first vol. and now gonna buy the boxset as well Evil or Very Mad
BERSERK EVA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:16 pm Reply with quote
It would be nice if they came in box sets. I'd love it if they all did cause I'm one of those people who are running out of room in my house. And the box sets are just much easier to stack and put way. Also the boxes also help protect your precious mangas. But i think many manga series are too big for em. Though they could spilt then into smaller box sets. But that to me would look/seem weird, like 4 box sets of DB or something. A box set of series should be just one box not multiple boxes. And how about those series that take like a decade to come out? Also without the box sets its easier for me to afford to buy manga. Cause one book from a series comes out like every month, making it more affordable. Instead of buying this huge boxset for like $100 all in one day. Without boxes helps me alot. Its a great idea though. I wish i waited on the Cowboy Bebop box set instead of buying all them seperate, but hey whatcha gonna do?
RX-7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 2:56 am Reply with quote
It would be nice to buy empty boxes separately for the titles that are already out or have the last volume come with a box for those series that are not done yet like what they are doing with chobits. For the new titles add the box with the 1st volume.
android00

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:33 am Reply with quote
They should make box sets more often! Crying or Very sad
It helps keep everything organized! my current manga count is 86 and my cabinet is getting full!!!!! Very Happy
jasminetea

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I love box sets. Not only because of convinance of having a box and not only because of the extras... I like it because it doesn't leave you hanging. You just read the story strait through. My friend bought the 2 Magic Knight Rayerth sets and I was happy to finnish the story in a day, rather than waiting every other month for TokyoPop to come out with each volume.
I wish they did that for Chobits. But no.... you have to wait for the last volume, the same way you waited for the previous volumes, and buy the special edition volume to get your box. Mad
isaacada1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:39 am Reply with quote
I wonder if we'll see a combined anime/manga box set for a series?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3