• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Now and Then, Here and There DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiriath

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:35 am Reply with quote
I think I'm the only one who didn't find it very depressing until the last two or three episodes. I've only watched it once so far, so I probably haven't spotted most of the connotations. Smile

Quite a good series.
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:41 am Reply with quote
Yeah I remember this series. I bought each volume on VHS for $5 a tape. I watched it and I got hooked and watched the entire series in 2 days.

It's one of those underrated series that more people need to see. It's quite a feat of animation. I for one am going to track down this box set..... because I don't know what happened to my VHS copies.
Angel Of Death

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:15 am Reply with quote
Yes this title deserves as much mention as possible. A true tragic masterpiece.
Ataru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:10 am Reply with quote
I got to watch it on AXN-Asia in subtitles several years back, and I too, loved it. I still have a VHS tape of the series somewhere, but it wasn't until last year when I picked up the DVD verison. Too bad I missed out on the price cut re-release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I got this boxset for a birthday or Christmas, and it quickly became one of my favorite anime series. It's beautifully painful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I've seen this twice and even the second time, it did not fail to move me greatly. I can usually watch something emotionally powerful without much of a physical, outward response, but in this one, I literally gasped in horror (reactive gasp, not intentional at all) when I saw what was going to happen or what was implied to have happened. Very moving, and truly deserving of the title of "masterpiece."
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:12 pm Reply with quote
34.99 for the box set? i so want this.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I picked up the boxed set for under $30 at a Best Buy, v1cious, so do a bit of looking around and you can probably find a better price. (That and the recent rerelease were what inspired me to do the review.)

For me, a truly great series is one whose content stays with you long after you're done watching the series. NTHT has several scenes that I've never been able to forget despite three years elapsing between when I first saw it and watched it again for doing the review. The scene where spoiler[Sara strikes herself in the stomach with the rock when Shu tries to prevent her from committing suicide] is one such scene, both because of the power of the moment and what the action represents. I don't see how someone who's watched the series until that point could see that scene and not have a strong reaction of some kind to it. Another is the scene where spoiler[the little girl who's been waiting in vain for her father overhears Nibaku saying that he killed him, and we watch as the shine fades from her eyes before she picks up the gun.] Maybe the most heartbreaking moment I've ever seen in anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dagwood

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I saw a couple episodes of this on AZN back when it was the International channel. I was pretty confused (I think I saw 6 and 7 ... or something) and was in no hurry to watch the rest. After reading this review, reading the posts above, and checking out the price, it seems it's worth my while to look into it further Cool.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ananda

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I might have to pick this up as well.

I have never seen this Anime eventhough I have heard lots about it; didn't even know they re-released a new DVD Box set.
So probably now would be the perfect time to finally check it out. Very Happy
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:43 am Reply with quote
I've been curious about this show for a while now. Thanks to the review and all of these positive posts, I've been pushed over the edge. My order is in at Roberts Anime Corner. ($29.98 + shipping). I know Best Buy means no shipping, but for me, Best Buy is a 35 mile round-trip. So it kinda evens out. I'm really looking forward to experiencing this. If this thread is still going, I'll post my reactions after I watch.
Circle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:18 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It's beautifully painful.

I don't think you could've described it even better. This anime is my favorite short series (13 episodes) anime of all time.
______
My Anime List
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I picked this show up for around $45 a few months ago, and it still felt like a bargain. Definitely worth it at this price.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:03 pm Reply with quote
ananda wrote:
I might have to pick this up as well.

I have never seen this Anime eventhough I have heard lots about it; didn't even know they re-released a new DVD Box set.

Actually the boxed set wasn't rereleased; any that you find are still floating around, unsold, from its original release three years ago. The rereleases are the individual DVDs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I bought the Box Set for $80 back when it was bran new. I still think it was worth every penny that i spent. Easily my favorate series and its just so brillant in everything that it does. You really care for and feel with the characters which is very rare in anime these days.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2