• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rozen Maiden (2013) (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shuurai25

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:39 pm Reply with quote

Rozen Maiden (2013)
Official Site

Plot Summary: Jun Sakurada, a middle school shut-in refuses to go to school after being traumatized by an embarrassing incident at school. One day, he receives a letter asking “yes or no”, and chose “yes”, meeting the living doll Shinku and the events of the original Rozen Maiden series unfolding. However, what would have happened if he had chosen “no”? Although he overcame his shut-in nature, this Jun can’t find a place where he belongs. Then, Shinku suddenly appears in this world where “Rozen Maidens” aren’t supposed to exist; what will their new encounter bring?!

13 Episodes
Action, Drama, Supernatural, Fantasy, Magic, Comedy

Ep. 1
OK, so for anyone who is like me and didn't know, this is spoiler[what I believe to be a some sort of reboot, not a continuation. I only got round to watching about 6 episodes of the original, so I can't say to what degree this is similar or different.]

That being said, it feels spoiler[ALOT faster paced than the original did. I found the original a tad on the slower side, but now I think this goes too fast and doesn't really set things up proper.]

However, since I spoiler[never truly got into the original] i'll stick with this and see how thing go.

Last edited by Shuurai25 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
EricJ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Shuurai25 wrote:
Plot Summary: Jun Sakurada, a middle school shut-in refuses to go to school after being traumatized by an embarrassing incident at school. One day, he receives a letter asking “yes or no”, and chose “yes”, meeting the living doll Shinku and the events of the original Rozen Maiden series unfolding. However, what would have happened if he had chosen “no”? Although he overcame his shut-in nature, this Jun can’t find a place where he belongs. Then, Shinku suddenly appears in this world where “Rozen Maidens” aren’t supposed to exist; what will their new encounter bring?!

OK, so for anyone who is like me and didn't know, this is spoiler[what I believe to be a some sort of reboot, not a continuation. I only got round to watching about 6 episodes of the original, so I can't say to what degree this is similar or different.]

The original series pretty well finished itself off with a definitive finale by its last OAV series, so this latest attempt at a "reboot" is more like the "Alternate timeline" gimmick of the new Star Trek movies, since they had nowhere else to go.
Which means new writers and directors pretty much have leave to wander as far off the tone or events of the original series as possible (which wasn't bad), but how far, I haven't been able to CR the series yet to find out. I fear the worst, however.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:04 pm Reply with quote
hmm from some reactions on @chan and what I've personally seen so far from caps, it doesn't seem to be a bad reboot. I'm going to hold off on judging this said reboot until I've seen two or three episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:32 am Reply with quote
DESU DESU DESU!

In all seriousness, I missed this show.

Pretty good OP song.

spoiler[So according to the pilot episode, this is likely a remake as the first episode felt like recap. Anyways, Shinku! Aww, she's adorable in that elegant way; a bit demanding but elegant. ]

Quote:
spoiler[We were born to fall into disappear]

That's deep. Even though it's seemed like a spoiler[recap] episode, it bought me back some nostologia. OST felt a little different but I can deal with it. DESU~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:38 am Reply with quote
The first episode is basically a recap of the first manga series and it seems the continuation is going to be next episode. From what I've read about Rozen Maiden II (the manga) it seems this series will follow its storyline rather than the original which, as I just mentioned, was hastily covered in this one episode.

So yes, this series will be very different from the first anime series since the timeline has already been covered. Also, since the first anime didn't really follow the manga too well there will be some differences there as well (Souseiseki and Suiseiseki's story was different in the anime and Barasuishou wasn't in the manga).

Edit: In fact, it looks like ANN already has this one linked as an adaptation of Rozen Maiden II.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:20 am Reply with quote
So, tell me guys. Do I need to watch the original Rozen Maiden before watching this one? (I probably won't read the manga)
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Ignatz wrote:
So, tell me guys. Do I need to watch the original Rozen Maiden before watching this one? (I probably won't read the manga)

I would say no. It's like a retelling...sorta. I think. Anime hyper

I have the original anime series and I think I prefer this one. LOVE the new character designs. The old ones looked odd to me somehow.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Ignatz wrote:

I have the original anime series and I think I prefer this one. LOVE the new character designs. The old ones looked odd to me somehow.

So far I prefer the original. This first episode is far too rushed since they are trying to introduce all the dolls in the first chapter.

You have none of Jun's story here. Also they completely omitted Jun's sister's introduction to the dolls.

Why? This retelling isn't adding anything and just subtracting things. Feels like a ripoff.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I like the music that plays whenever Suigintou appears. I'm hoping everyone would have their own unique theme music, because my favourite parts have so far been Suigintou being played in by her music.

Speaking of which...is there a name for that piece that plays whenever Suigintou appears? I really can't get it out of my head now and I must listen to it again.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

That was a fast paced episode of what is essentially a reboot, I take it that they wanted to quickly cover any material that might have crisscrossed with the original series. Sadly it left out any of the comedy that made the original series for me, at the least I noticed a detective Kun-kun poster that may have been an indication of time. Although understanding the characters fresh into this might be a tad confusing.

As for what the series did well, there is an obvious boost in animation, I would give that image of the pen at the beginning of something specific. But they also did a very good job with Suiginto, there was some good work at making her look somewhat creepy. In general I think they are taking advantage of the somewhat creepiness of the dolls into this series.

I am also somewhat interested in what seemed to be a line that there will be a younger Jun and older Jun in parallel worlds. That could mean the somewhat hectic first episode might get the necessary times with characters like Hina-Ichigo and Souseiseki. So I am unable to quite see yet whether this will be accessible to newcomers or not. Also I want some unyuu.
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:46 pm Reply with quote
As I mentioned before, the first episode was basically a recap of all 8 volumes of the original manga, so of course it's going to be super fast paced. The end of the first episode is effectively the end of the first manga and the next episode that introduces the older Jun is based on the second manga series.

Basically, no you don't necessarily have to watch the first two anime series to get into this nor do you need to read the manga, but I would suggest doing so if you want to make sense of what was basically a recap episode.

Edit: Also, at Dusky, spoiler[going just by the synopsis for the second manga series you would be right, it's gonna be an alternate reality where the young Jun asks the old Jun for help.]
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:17 am Reply with quote
This anime looks like it has potential.
I'm not really into the doll thing theme.
In some weird way it reminds me of Busou Shinki.
Think I'm gonna skip this one. Too much drama & despair.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:35 am Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
I like the music that plays whenever Suigintou appears. I'm hoping everyone would have their own unique theme music, because my favourite parts have so far been Suigintou being played in by her music.

Speaking of which...is there a name for that piece that plays whenever Suigintou appears? I really can't get it out of my head now and I must listen to it again.

You'll probably have to wait for the soundtrack to be released before anyone will be able to answer that.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:50 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

As for what the series did well, there is an obvious boost in animation, I would give that image of the pen at the beginning of something specific.

The animation is fricking amazing. Deen has come a long way. :'D
Papochulo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:30 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
Ignatz wrote:

So far I prefer the original. This first episode is far too rushed since they are trying to introduce all the dolls in the first chapter.

You have none of Jun's story here. Also they completely omitted Jun's sister's introduction to the dolls.

Why? This retelling isn't adding anything and just subtracting things. Feels like a ripoff.

It's also not following the manga, so it's more of a reboot of the franchise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6