• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Worst Dub

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coral Skipper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 6:40 pm Reply with quote
One thing about anime that anyone can be positive about is that there a lot of bad dubs, unfortiantly Sad . Please I only want anime that was brought to America starting in the late eighties because anything else was Americanized for T.V and is automatically discounted. Also I want the dub's plot to be a lot like the original, No Sailor Moon or Cardcapters/CCS. The worst Dub I have seen is the Ranma dub. Is it me or does Ranma's male voice sound like a woman is obviously forcing a male voice.
Armblessed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Is it me or does Ranma's male voice sound like a woman is obviously forcing a male voice.

That would probably be because it is a woman doing a male's voice. The first 3 seaons(I believe) were done by Sarah Strange.
As far as dubs go, I'm going to have to say that the Ranma isnt that bad. I've heard a lot worse. One dub that I think is way overrated is the Neon Genesis Evangelion dub. I cant stand it. All the voices seem innapropriate and poorly done. I tell people that if they are going to watch that show, to not watch the dubbed version. Still, I wouldnt go so far as to say that that was the worst dub I have ever heard.
And as for boy-type Ranma, Sarah Strange does a lot better than whoever they got to do the voice in season 4.
I feel that females can do good jobs with male voices. I didn't pick Ranma out right away as a woman's voice. Neither did I notice it with Bart Simpson or the Japanese Shinji Ikari. I had to find out by reading the credits for each of those shows.
BrianC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I agree about woman's voices. I didn't even know that Bart Simpson, Charlie Brown(I think, correct me if I'm wrong), Chucky from the Rugrats and Dexter from Dexter's Labortory were done by female voice actors at first. I didn't even know that Ms. Piggy was voiced by a male voice at first(though with that one you can tell).

I saw the dub for the Ranma OVAs, and I didn't think the dub was that bad at all.

I think that the dub for the Slayers movie is overrated. They took some liberties in the dub translation and I found many of the voices for the minor characters to be very poor. It was a very poor dub IMO.
Ataru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Those Obnious Aliens. Lum sounds alittle Russian. Razz And then there is the Streamline Guyver. "Well, Sho, let's go to woods." It's right up there with the whole "Roots of Lust" thing. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Legend of the Overfiend and Harmageddon, both early CPM dubs, sound like a bunch of students recorded them in someone's garage.

The Eva dubs aren't flawless, and no one's obligated to like them, but I think one would be hard pressed to defend the idea that they're actually BAD, much less among the worst.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Coral Skipper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I agree that the Eva dub is pretty bad, but it is saved from being one of the worst dubs by Amanda Winn Lee's portrayel of Rei. Now you may prefer the Japanese voice actor, but you would be hard pressed to say that Ms. Lee did a bad job portraying Rei.
Magister_L

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:02 pm Reply with quote
jesus i hated Aida's voice in eva. i think his name is Aida... (the one who always hangs around with Toji with the video camera). God it was such a squeaky unpleasant voice which you DONT want to hear in EVERY GOD DAMN EPISODE
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Magic Knight Rayearth is pretty bad, but the worst i've heard has to be the dragonball z episodes when goku was fighting burter and jeice. It was the first "expansion" to the series that CN aired. Oh man the new voices did not fit the characters, you could tell they were reading and it was way obvious that it was a rush job. It slowly subsided through the rest of the Frieza saga and afterwards it was good, but those four episodes were absolutely horrible.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Creat Of The Stars, the holy grail of bad dubbing
Delthayre

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I'll second that. I like english dubs, but the Crest of the Stars dub had me running to subtitles in under five minutes.
Ataru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:04 am Reply with quote
Hmmm, Speed Racer or Thatserieswereeveryonetalkreally,reallyfast. Maybeitshouldbecalled"SpeedTalker". Ohhhh. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Lowen Na

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 1:39 am Reply with quote
I didn't think Eva was that bad over all.

If you want to see a bad dub, watch the original Bubblegum Crisis OVAs. Bad acting, they dubbed the background music, and in one episode changed a few major plot points to make the story "flow better"
BrianC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:53 am Reply with quote
I didn't think Crest of the Stars had a bad dub, just an average dub. I haven't seen the subbed version, though.

IMO, a bad dub is a dub that not only has subpar voice acting, but makes unnessary changes that detract from the entertainment value.

IMO, the Slayers TV series dub loses points for taking liberties with the translation and having vastly inferior writing when compared to the subtitles. Even when the characters say something that means the same thing, the delivery of the lines just doesn't sound as good as subtitled version. The worst change to the dub was Lina joking about how the old man got burned in an early episode. In the subtitles, she tells him to move out of the way of the fire after he gets burned and they changed the dub version to make Lina look like even more of a jerk than she already is.
ownerizer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:05 pm Reply with quote
The Slayers dub is thoe only one that was painful to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
radicaledward

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Princess Minerva - that dub was just bad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3