• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Say, "I Love You". Romance Manga Gets Live-Action Film

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:29 am Reply with quote
Man, everything is getting a live-action movie nowadays. I mean, I like the series, but I can't approve unless Yamato's actor somehow has Sakurai's voice.
eevaleena

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:59 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Man, everything is getting a live-action movie nowadays. I mean, I like the series, but I can't approve unless Yamato's actor somehow has Sakurai's voice.

Hahaha!! I agree with this! Very Happy
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:08 am Reply with quote
live action is better than anime for those type of manga/
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:12 am Reply with quote
So, like, is this set in stone then? Shoujo manga will only get live-action from now on? Every shoujo now is getting a live-action...this makes me so sad. Crying or Very sad

Spotlesseden wrote:

I disagree. When you make shoujo into live action, it loses a lot of original elements the manga has. But almost none of those elements will be lost in an anime form. For instance, how the heck are they going to find someone with Yamato's hair? And they will obviously have to cut down on a LOT of the smut. Not to mention the actors will probably not look like the characters at all. Yes, I'm being picky but these are a few of the reasons why I say anime is better for shoujo.

/rant over.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:49 am Reply with quote
phoenixalia wrote:
So, like, is this set in stone then? Shoujo manga will only get live-action from now on? Every shoujo now is getting a live-action...this makes me so sad. Crying or Very sad

Spotlesseden wrote:

I disagree. When you make shoujo into live action, it loses a lot of original elements the manga has. But almost none of those elements will be lost in an anime form. For instance, how the heck are they going to find someone with Yamato's hair? And they will obviously have to cut down on a LOT of the smut. Not to mention the actors will probably not look like the characters at all. Yes, I'm being picky but these are a few of the reasons why I say anime is better for shoujo.

/rant over.

You do know there was already an anime for this series, right?
epicrevenge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:24 pm Reply with quote
It's a good way to increase the popularity of the manga. I think it might work well as a live action too but I think a TV series would be better than a film. I hope they are able to stay as faithful as possible to the manga and create a decent live action adaptation. I'll most likely never see this film but I hope it does well and increases the popularity of the manga because I'd love a second season of the anime.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:44 pm Reply with quote
rahzel.rose wrote:

You do know there was already an anime for this series, right?

Of course I do. But lately shoujo manga have only been getting live-action(Pin to Kona, L-DK). It's a result of how the three shoujo manga which aired in Fall 2012 failed horribly in sales.
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't any smut in the anime that I can remember!

When are they gonna release the manga in the U.S.?
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:46 pm Reply with quote
UltimaShadowfax wrote:
Wasn't any smut in the anime that I can remember!

When are they gonna release the manga in the U.S.?

Next year in April iirc.
bunnyrice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:00 pm Reply with quote
phoenixalia wrote:
It's a result of how the three shoujo manga which aired in Fall 2012 failed horribly in sales.

Not necessarily. Sure, shoujo anime doesn't usually sell well, but many shoujo and josei manga got a great sales boost after getting an anime adaptation (Chihayafuru, Princess Jellyfish, etc). Also, shoujo and josei usually have a larger non-otaku reader base that would be interested in live-action movies than male-targeted manga and light novels AFAIK.

Unrelated, but I'd bet on Ao Haru Ride being the next one to get a movie/anime and become an even bigger hit.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Well isn't Sakurai available then?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:24 pm Reply with quote
phoenixalia wrote:

Anime lost much of the mainstream drama timeslots that rely on ratings and merchandise licenses to earn their money back. It's becoming more polarized to either children's toys or late-night Blu-ray timeslots.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:48 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
phoenixalia wrote:

Anime lost much of the mainstream drama timeslots that rely on ratings and merchandise licenses to earn their money back. It's becoming more polarized to either children's toys or late-night Blu-ray timeslots.
In short, it's either toys, or moetits and pantsu, with a desert in between.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
GokuMew2 wrote:
Well isn't Sakurai available then?

I just imagined Sakurai with Yamato's weird hairstyle and laughed. Nnn... Sakurai's good-looking, but I don't want him to look like Yamato (with his hair). Anime hyper
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:03 pm Reply with quote
phoenixalia wrote:

/rant over.

Yeah but the target demo for this stuff doesn't buy anime but they do watch live action.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2