• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Australia's Madman Ent. Adds Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
j Talbain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:22 pm Reply with quote
This was a great movie. I hope to see Funimation pick this up and do a theatrical release.
Tsukento

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so practically the entire world is getting some for of this...yet FUNimation's only DBZ-related announcement are cropped Blu-rays for the TV series?

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what FOX and Toei are thinking, not allowing this to be licensed for some kind of home-video or limited theatrical release in North America.

I mean, they've got to have at least some inkling of how popular DBZ is over here, right?
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:46 am Reply with quote
As long as DBZ-related movies and shows don't have dubs, they're not worth watching. Therefore, not interested. I'll wait for the dub.
rpgamer79

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:27 am Reply with quote
The plot summary is inaccurate Anime hyper. It is a little bit different

Birus traveled to look for some warrior that he heard about in a vision during his long sleep, but it was not specifically for Son Goku.
rpgamer79

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:28 am Reply with quote
The plot summary is inaccurate Anime hyper. It is a little bit different

Birus traveled to look for some warrior that he heard about in a vision during his long sleep, but it was not specifically for Son Goku.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:46 am Reply with quote
It's probably licensed over here. Give an announcement some time. I'm pretty sure it'll come out next year. For Australia, I predict the Japanese film-festival screenings this year will be subtitled, but the theatrical release next year will be in English.
Fennekin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm confused. Did Madman license a English Subbed release for this or is it going to be dubbed? And if it's dubbed, is FUNimation dubbing it or is Madman themselves dubbing it?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:00 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
As long as DBZ-related movies and shows don't have dubs, they're not worth watching.

Surely you mean they're not worth watching dubbed.

Being that the Japanese cast is massively talented, whereas many of the English cast only just recently got presentable.

Almost makes me wish it never gets dubbed, just so that everyone is forced to watch it with the better cast.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
My Name's Not Rick!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
of course he does. cant have a different a different opinion than you, that would be terrible.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I really want FOX to dub the movie, just to prove how little it matters who actually dubs DBZ. I'm sure a FUNimation dub would be presentable and watchable, but that's all it would be.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Quite hilarious that some people will only watch this dubbed.
You can tell who are the early anime fans of the DBZ anime bubble! Laughing

Either way, FUNi will obviously have this, since Madman usually get all their materials from the US license holder.
They just haven't announced this yet.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I've tried to watch DBZ in Japanese a few times, but it's only ever been one or two episodes.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:26 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
the-antihero wrote:
As long as DBZ-related movies and shows don't have dubs, they're not worth watching.

Surely you mean they're not worth watching dubbed.

Being that the Japanese cast is massively talented, whereas many of the English cast only just recently got presentable.

Almost makes me wish it never gets dubbed, just so that everyone is forced to watch it with the better cast.

Better cast? Adult Goku sounding like a woman who smoked a cigar factory is better than him sounding like an man.

vulcanraven01 wrote:
Quite hilarious that some people will only watch this dubbed.
You can tell who are the early anime fans of the DBZ anime bubble! Laughing

Typical elitist bell head who will praise ANYTHING in Japanese no matter how rotten it is.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:51 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
Better cast? Adult Goku sounding like a woman who smoked a cigar factory is better than him sounding like an man.

Well, first off, the Japanese Goku is the way he was always intended to sound.

Second, nobody performs the role with as much warmth, sincerity, and charm as Masako Nozawa.

And third, Goku is one character in a cast of dozens in the show, so basing your view of the Japanese version on that one casting, albeit an important one, is rather narrow.

If you can't enjoy Nozawa's Goku, fine. It's pretty jarring to people who didn't start with the original DB program. But that's how he's supposed to be, so maybe you don't really like DBZ at all. Especially if you prefer the shrill, no-talent non-actors that fill the show's English cast and its horrible, inaccurate scripts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1