• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Friend of Director: Live-Action Lupin III Film to Modernize Characters

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Uh, the whole point of Goemon is that he's an anachronism. He was an anachronism when he was introduced decades ago. Carrying around a sword is just as absurd today as it was when he was introduced. That's part of the joke.

Did anybody on the staff of the film actually read the manga or watch the TV shows?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:54 pm Reply with quote
So it's essentially going to be an action/adventure movie that has absolutely nothing to do with Lupin III, where the writer/director changed the characters' names to those of the cast of Lupin III so that it would bring in more money.

I bet Jigen is not going to smoke and will wear skinny jeans.

Last edited by gravediggernalk on Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:55 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Uh, the whole point of Goemon is that he's an anachronism. He was an anachronism when he was introduced decades ago. Carrying around a sword is just as absurd today as it was when he was introduced. That's part of the joke.

Did anybody on the staff of the film actually read the manga or watch the TV shows?

The guy in charge of the coffee and donuts has, otherwise it looks like a no.

Seriously, modernizing Lupin III does not make much sense and likely will alienate the very audience that the movie needs to succeed.

<SIGH>

Mark Gosdin
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:56 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

To be fair, such absurdity rarely works in live-action as well as it does in animation. Changing it and trying to make it work in this medium may be the better choice, and certainly the more daring one. I like his comment that trying to making it the same thing would have "no meaning".

But then again, what do you do with the character if you discard the anachronistic swordsman shtick?
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm by no means a huge Lupin fan, but this seems like a mistake to me too...

I'm usually generally okay with making some modernizing changes when adapting a somewhat obscure work to the big screen, but obscure Lupin ain't. If Goemon's appearance is "nonsense," there's a lot of other stuff in Lupin that is as well...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Let me make a prediction.

Goemon is now a master hacker and his "sword" is his amazing code cracking skills. He calls his signature program "Zantetsuken".

"Once more I have hacked an unworthy object."

I think I would die a little inside.

Fujiko is an ultra tumblr feminist with a nonexistent rack and Jigen a bitter a person I disagree with politically fanatic with a 2D waifu. Lupin is a bored host club host with a knack for conning rich women. Zenigata is an Adonis and made the hero of the film.

Music by AKB48.

Why do I hurt myself thinking of this?

Last edited by penguintruth on Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:05 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I wanted to give movie a chance, but never mind now.

I can understand change, but they're basically throwing away a character of the franchise which they're adapting. Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Taking the absurdity out of Lupin would be like taking the fruit filling out of a fried pie. It's good BECAUSE it's absurd.

I echo the sentiments of everyone else here in thinking this is a big mistake. Taking away Goemon's sword is quite frankly an insult to his entire character.
AnimenexuS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Well this movie finally sucks now. There no point to modernize Goemon. It won't be Goemon, It just some guy named Goemon.
EricJ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:23 pm Reply with quote
And they still didn't use Lupin's long-lost twin-brother Jim Carrey. Sad

(Who only does self-indulgent Charlie Kaufman indie movies anyway now for the disturbing thrill of it. We may have lost our ideal window.)
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I'll be totally honest here - it's not often I agree with penguintruth or the way he phrases things, and I'm pretty sure he knows this...but I'm pretty much behind him 100% here. (I can only wonder if he just felt the same cold chill that I did...this must be a sign of the apocalypse!)

Joking aside...yeah...um...I...I just don't even know what to think other than 'WHY'. The entire point of Goemon is that he's so traditional that it's nonsense. Sure, you can play that up with something insane like him having an iPhone or something, but that's still just further highlighting the insanity of who Goemon is in this current world.

I just...wow. I'm really not wanting to be down on this whole thing just from one comment, but this is a pretty damning one. I agree with Kitamura that there's no need to do things EXACTLY as they've been done before - there's no need for this film to be an exact adaptation of Cagliosto or Mamo or anything, for example - but there are certain things that are in the very DNA of a franchise that you just do not change like this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DRWii

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It would be nonsense for Goemon to exist in current society wearing samurai's garb and carrying around a katana.

And with that, any enthusiasm I had for this movie is gone. Hopefully it'll still be decent in spite of whatever changes they make, but I'm not holding my breath.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Let me make a prediction.

Goemon is now a master hacker and his "sword" is his amazing code cracking skills. He calls his signature program "Zantetsuken".

"Once more I have hacked an unworthy object."

I think I would die a little inside.

Fujiko is an ultra tumblr feminist with a nonexistent rack and Jigen a bitter a person I disagree with politically fanatic with a 2D waifu. Lupin is a bored host club host with a knack for conning rich women. Zenigata is an Adonis and made the hero of the film.

Music by AKB48.

Why do I hurt myself thinking of this?

Thinking about that hurt me really deep; It hurt my soul.
E-Master

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Not sure how much of a good idea this will be. The purpose of Goemon's exsistence in the Lupin series was to have a character that represents Japan. Modernizing him would a bit of a risk since he's always known for wearing a samurai robe all the time excluding the occasions when he's in a disguise. I don't want to jump the gun yet, cause we don't know what he will look like in the film yet. But it would be hard to imagine Goemon not portrayed as a swordsman for the film.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Taking the absurdity out of Lupin would be like taking the fruit filling out of a fried pie. It's good BECAUSE it's absurd.

I echo the sentiments of everyone else here in thinking this is a big mistake. Taking away Goemon's sword is quite frankly an insult to his entire character.

Who's said they're doing away with absurdity ? All they're doing is changing one absurdity with another. A more modern one, one that resonates better with modern audicences. A crime of lèse-majesté no less according to all you self professed experts in Lupin III. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3