• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy X's Nojima Would Like to See A Sequel Like 'X-3'

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:12 am Reply with quote
It's official final fantasy is now a dead franchise, I don't even want to speak how stupid it would be to make this squeal. FFX-2 wrapped up everything perfectly, now if this was prequel with yuna's father and his quest... I would be all over that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fangkingagito1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:03 am Reply with quote
I'd like to see a third installment. X was my personal favourite game.

I didn't like x-2 very much... I only played it for the secret endings you could get. Just seemed more like a fan service game more than a game focused on a great story.

As long as it's not like x-2 I think I'd be prepared to buy it.

Lets not forget I'm sure the creators would favour the Japanese market and fans over western... As for example a lot of western gamers didn't like xii but it was a huge success in Japan.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:15 am Reply with quote
fangkingagito1 wrote:

Lets not forget I'm sure the creators would favour the Japanese market and fans over western... As for example a lot of western gamers didn't like xii but it was a huge success in Japan.

You're talking about FFXII right? If so I'm not sure this is true.

If we're talking about XIII, I'm also not sure this is true. The declining sales of the XIII games say otherwise. I've never liked this made up argument that XIII is disliked by just western fans. It has it's fans and haters on both sides, I don't think their is one generalization.

As for a X-3. Don't want it. X is my favorite FF, one of my favorite games in general. It didn't even need a X-2, much less a X-3. The story is resolved and I don't need more of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
fangkingagito1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:44 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
fangkingagito1 wrote:

If we're talking about XIII, I'm also not sure this is true. The declining sales of the XIII games say otherwise. I've never liked this made up argument that XIII is disliked by just western fans. It has it's fans and haters on both sides, I don't think their is one generalization.

As for a X-3. Don't want it. X is my favorite FF, one of my favorite games in general. It didn't even need a X-2, much less a X-3. The story is resolved and I don't need more of it.

Yes I meant xii
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:54 am Reply with quote
Well I don't think that's true at all. XII has been well received in the west.

It's often praised for being the most forward thinking recent one. It's writing is praised as being the best written FF compared to the belts and zipper ones. It's more open world structure has been compared to western rpgs favorably.

Also though it's been criticized as the most Un-FF, having terrible mmo like gameplay, and a terrible story.

Though one of the more common argument against FFXII I've seen in these gaming circles is that it's a very unpopular FF in Japan, because it's western.

What I'm trying to say here is I disagree with you. I don't think there is any one generalization about these games.

I also just think you're statement is a bit odd. I'm not above generalizations and the popular belief is that it's those "Nomura FFs" are whats appealing to Japanese fans. The stylish Japanese character designs, the teen angst story, ect. Things that FFXII lacks. Something they had to forcefully add with Vann. Seems to me that FFXII would actually be very appealing to the west.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:30 am Reply with quote
Would be awesome! Sure would make up for the 30-minute audio drama that opened way more many plot lines than it did finish.

*goes back to playing FF10 on the limited edition Vita*
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:36 am Reply with quote
X-3 seems pretty inevitable now.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:13 am Reply with quote
I'm of the opinion that if a FF story is wrapped up then it should be left alone for the most part. FF XIII-2 was not needed, the story had already concluded with XIII. On the other hand, X dropped a pretty obvious sequel hook in its final moment so X-2 was more reasonable.

Regardless, I want more focus on original "sequels" rather than _-2's or _-3's.
sainta

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:38 am Reply with quote
The new sketches are looking good.

Almost make me forget of FF102's designs
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:57 am Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
Almost make me forget of FF102's designs

I know this is a typo, but "FF102" scares me. PLEASE let the series die before it gets to 102 numbered games...
EricJ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
fangkingagito1 wrote:
As for example a lot of western gamers didn't like xii but it was a huge success in Japan.

If we're talking about XIII, I'm also not sure this is true. The declining sales of the XIII games say otherwise. I've never liked this made up argument that XIII is disliked by just western fans.

I'm a western fan who liked X/X-2, and BOY, did I dislike the freakin' crap out of XII and the XIII's.
The attempt to make themselves "big" enough to fit the PS3 finally pushed the series over the cliff. Instead of a store area, we had Manhattan Island, instead of a compelling story quest, we had "Mini quests to do when you have the time", and maybe the plot would show up.
And the crowning insult, you weren't even allowed the basic by-definition dignity to role play your strategy in a RPG--You just set up a complex series of macros for the game to play itself when you ran into a monster, saw the little looping arcs, and said, "Oh, there's one over there, go get him guys... Confused "

Haven't played FFXIII-2, so don't know if you could officially call it "the franchise-killer", but in terms of image, there's suspicious blood stains on its hands.

Quote:
As for a X-3. Don't want it. X is my favorite FF, one of my favorite games in general.

I see it as more of an "apology" for the post-PS3's.
But, like Nojima, we're just wishing history could've gone better. Sad
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:44 pm Reply with quote
FFXII is great. Rather just see a HD version of that then a X-3. Thats actually something that's needed.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:59 pm Reply with quote
FF12 is when the series started to go downhill since it was the first single player game that Sakaguchi and Nobuo didn't work on, so it kinda lost the feeling of being a FF game. I probably would have enjoyed it more if I didn't go into it expecting a FF game... it was really only FF in name alone. It played nothing like the franchise I was in love with. The characters were terrible (is there a more forgettable playable character in the franchise then Penelo? And this is coming from someone who normally likes the cute girl characters. Vaan was the most forgettable main character too.), I had no interest in the story and it was pretty much just giant lifeless zones that lacked any kind of charm or uniqueness to them. FF13 was better and went back to the great characters and felt more like a FF game, but still wasn't at the level of the golden days though.
sainta

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:31 pm Reply with quote
FF12 had that boring fighting system. Some call it Grind Fantasy 12. The story was kind of nice but it hammered a lot of pointless politics.

Quote:
I know this is a typo, but "FF102" scares me. PLEASE let the series die before it gets to 102 numbered games...

Final Fantasy 102: We no longer have ideas. Just want your money. This game focuses on the epic tale of Mecha Cait Sith in his fight against Ondore's army of lies.
Jave

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:

The declining sales have nothing to do with that given XIII and XIII-2 are still the top 2 selling PS3 games in Japan. It has to do with the fact console sales in general are declining in Japan in favor of handhelds, and also you need to play the previous games in order to enjoy them. I pity anyone who tries to play XIII-2 before XIII. Let alone Lightning Returns as their first Laughing Same reason why X-2 sold less than X and Xenosaga 3 and 2 sold less than 1. Direct sequels limit your audience to those who played the first ones.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2