• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Goverment Funds New Foreign Channel to Air Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clixbrigidxterx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Japan. You're doing it right. If only they find a way to broadcast SUBBED anime to Canada. Crying or Very sad
Nakurawari

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I think its pretty cool that they are doing this. Making some of their media that is very popular in some parts of the world more accessible to them. Good job Japan.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:58 pm Reply with quote
This look promising, this one got my attention:

Quote:
The Japanese government will fund a new foreign "Japan Channel" that will broadcast anime, dramas, music programs, and travel programs.

So I take it that J-dramas (well if any dramas with Johnny's allow it), and J-pop music program will be broadcasted on that channel. If it is, then "Cool Japan" is going the right direction. Still, I wish Japanese entertainment make use of Hulu, and Dramafever to give more J-dramas more exposure. I wish to see J-music programs on Dramafever and Hulu like I can watch Inkigaiyo and M! Countdown, both k-pop music show on Hulu whenever wherever, it wouldn't hurt Japan to utilize this. Is there a way this new channel may make it's own Youtube page and can have a lot of shows uploaded on there like KBS World did.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
deidara517

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:05 pm Reply with quote
while they considering launching it in the US just know that if they do it will be the most watched channel on my tv and i will be upgrading to whatever cable package i need to get said channel.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I already get a streaming channel just like it... it's called "Crunchyroll", and I'm pretty happy with it.
prabb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Cool Japan already disappointed me with the failed Toku channel. No Himitsu Sentai Goranger or JAKQ for me. Now I've got to go cry just thinking about it.

Someone please sub every sentai ever. :'(
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I like to add if J-dramas do get shown on this new government-funded channel, I hope none of the soundtracks for the drama get cut out for the international broadcast, I could say the same for anime, please don't cut out any of the OSTs from the drama (and anime) if it get broadcasted.

For some of you that don't know what I'm talking about, read one of my post from another thread:

I wrote:

I remember reading something from Wikipedia regarding J-dramas OST being cut out when exported to other Asian countries:

Wikipedia wrote:
In recent years, many theme songs have been licensed from sources outside of Japan. In some instances, theme songs have been licensed from some of the biggest names in the Western recording industry. This practice has disadvantages. When the Japanese drama is licensed outside of Japan, theme music licensing becomes very costly. For example, in the Fuji TV drama Densha Otoko, the opening song and some of the background music had to be replaced in the release that aired on the Nippon Golden Network because they couldn't get the rights to use the music.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
New channel to launch in Thailand, Indonesia, Cambodia with Europe, US, Africa being considered

Thailand has been censoring anime before airing them on television.
Everything from beer drinking, to swim suits & Goku's bare chest.
http://cbldf.org/2013/08/thailands-overzealous-censors/
http://kotaku.com/thailands-anime-censorship-sure-is-strict-1106256597
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I already get a streaming channel just like it... it's called "Crunchyroll", and I'm pretty happy with it.
Very limited, poor quality, terrible video player and it doesnt fully support the companies. this will more directly support them. They amount of PROFIT CR makes is pretty disgusting, especially considering they were rewarded for being criminals so many years ago. Im not sure a TV channel is such a good idea in todays world though....Best option, IMO would be their own website or using a site that has a wider reach like youtube (Which also mostly has excellent quality options) where they can set different restrictions for each video as well.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Very limited, poor quality, terrible video player and it doesnt fully support the companies. this will more directly support them. They amount of PROFIT CR makes is pretty disgusting, especially considering they were rewarded for being criminals so many years ago. Im not sure a TV channel is such a good idea in todays world though....Best option, IMO would be their own website or using a site that has a wider reach like youtube (Which also mostly has excellent quality options) where they can set different restrictions for each video as well.

Well there's Dramafever, Viki, and Hulu too which other Asian countries (Korea, and Taiwan) used to broadcast their dramas, never understood why there is so few J-dramas on those streaming sites. Also I never had problem with CR, and the quality is not that bad in my view.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
The article wrote:
The government is allocating 15.5 billion yen (about US$14.7 million) for subtitling and dubbing costs...

This part of the article is what's throwing me off a bit...
Surely now that didn't mean that the Japanese side of the anime industry is actually having the idea of trying to perform English versions of their anime shows, no...?
...or perhaps I just misunderstood that?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
The article wrote:
The government is allocating 15.5 billion yen (about US$14.7 million) for subtitling and dubbing costs...

This part of the article is what's throwing me off a bit...
Surely now that didn't mean that the Japanese side of the anime industry is actually having the idea of trying to perform English versions of their anime shows, no...?
...or perhaps I just misunderstood that?

The Japanese have commission dubs before, I'm pretty sure Gundam Unicorn had a dub produced for it and that was only released in Japan.

In that case, they just hire a western company to do it with western actors.
Enigmo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I'd prefer an actual TV channel over a web player.... I just would. Most web players, including Hulu, aren't that good. The only web players I find good are Netflix and BBC iPlayer, something is different about them and they give you stuff at highest qualities. Crunchyroll is terrible; HD on Netflix and BBC iPlayer work flawlessly for me, but HD on CR lags, and not only that, but their HD quality isn't even good.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:35 pm Reply with quote
It would be so much easier if all this stuff was just on YouTube, where you could easily download it.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:46 pm Reply with quote
So when do they start building the otaku schools?

Kougeru wrote:
especially considering they were rewarded for being criminals so many years ago.

Really, people still harp on this? If the Japanese companies they stole from forgave them and partnered with them (and even bought into them) I don't see why all fans can't.

Also, I like the CR player. It's not perfect, but it's way better than watching on Hulu+ where the high quality is blurry and you still get stuck watching a dozen commercials.

Emerje
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4