• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kick-Heart's Yuasa to Direct Ping Pong Anime for Noitamina

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jet_

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:50 am Reply with quote
Kevin Aymeric (the background director for the anime) confirmed on Twitter that the studio is Tatsunoko Production.
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:58 am Reply with quote
So it is Yuasa + Taiyo Matsumoto,good God this is awesome!
Spring 2014 already confirmed for season of the decade.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:59 am Reply with quote
Hallelujah! Best news of the day can't be topped.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Its amazing how tying a well known name to a boring as hell looking Ping Pong manga can make people excited
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:05 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Its amazing how tying a well known name to a boring as hell looking Ping Pong manga can make people excited
This. But I do like ping pong so Ill give it a shot.

PS. Still REALLY annoyed at the border advertisements that change my page when I accidentally click on them.
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:09 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Dude,speaking as a table tennis fan I am here to tell you that the sport itself is pretty exciting to watch,second of all this specific manga is brilliant and comes form acclaimed and influential manga author known for idiosyncratic art style.
Seriously,dont say how the manga is boring without knowing anything about it.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:16 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Seriously,don't say how the manga is boring without knowing anything about it.

Its no different from getting all excited about a manga you know nothing about simply because of a person whos working on the anime adaption. Its fine to get excited, but all I'm saying is that very few people outside of those who read the nearly 20 year old manga would care if it was a different director.
OrangeVision

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Well, now I'm pumped.

RyanSaotome wrote:

See, you think it looks boring. It doesn't make it a standard, so that's hardly amazing.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:48 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Um, I know nothing about this Yuasa guy. I came here for the sport. I'm sure other people will come for the sport as well.
You haven't even read the manga and nor have I for that matter. This was made just when I was born so that's natural .
So how can you call it boring? Because of the art? Because it's a sport manga?
Oh wait, I'm sure you wouldn't have called it boring if it had moe girls. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:53 pm Reply with quote
phoenixalia wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Um, I know nothing about this Yuasa guy. I came here for the sport. I'm sure other people will come for the sport as well.
You haven't even read the manga and nor have I for that matter. This was made just when I was born so that's natural .
So how can you call it boring? Because of the art? Because it's a sport manga?
Oh wait, I'm sure you wouldn't have called it boring if it had moe girls. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I call it boring because its a realistic ping pong manga... if all you care are about realistic sports, why not just watch the sports themselves? Its far more suspenseful then if you already know who will win (typically the main character loses to the rival at the beginning, needs to get stronger, beats the "Chumps" along the way before his rival, etc). At least if it has super powers or good character designs it'll make it a bit more interesting along the way.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:54 pm Reply with quote
phoenixalia wrote:
Um, I know nothing about this Yuasa guy.

This kind of thing is unacceptable! Go watch Mind Game, Kemonozume, Kaiba, The Tatami Galaxy, and educate yourself.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:04 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

I call it boring because its a realistic ping pong manga... if all you care are about realistic sports, why not just watch the sports themselves?

Yeah, that's your opinion, not mine and everyone else. Fair enough. I never watch sports on TV, ever. Maybe there are other people like me? Laughing

RyanSaotome wrote:
Its far more suspenseful then if you already know who will win (typically the main character loses to the rival at the beginning, needs to get stronger, beats the "Chumps" along the way before his rival, etc). At least if it has super powers or good character designs it'll make it a bit more interesting along the way.

I see your point, but again, that's your opinion.

Good character designs? This is from 1996 and in those days these designs were good I guess.
Btw, sorry about the dig I made at you being a moe fan. I like moe too from time to time actually. But I thought you said that because it had no moe in it. My bad reallly.

Ignatz wrote:
phoenixalia wrote:

This kind of thing is unacceptable! Go watch Mind Game, Kemonozume, Kaiba, The Tatami Galaxy, and educate yourself.

I'm really sorry. You see, I only became a serious anime fan in 2011 so I know nothing of his previous works. I'll add them to my PtW list. Embarassed Smile Very Happy
TeenChibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:12 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
But you get excited for "boring looking" slice of life, light novel, imouto series. Same thing, different tastes. Looking forward to this. Since it's Yuasa is directing it, I know damn well it will not be ordinary.

Last edited by TeenChibi on Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
musouka

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Yeah, it's almost like direction and innovation matter to people! What chumps, don't they know what's really important is the exact shade of pastel pink a moeblob's hair has?
Ignatz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
phoenixalia wrote:
Ignatz wrote:
phoenixalia wrote:

I'm really sorry. You see, I only became a serious anime fan in 2011 so I know nothing of his previous works. I'll add them to my PtW list. Embarassed Smile Very Happy

Just so you know, The Tatami Galaxy is considered to be his best work. Although you might like Kaiba more if you're more into science-fiction than coming-of-age stories. (The Tatami Galaxy is similar to FLCL and Welcome to the NHK, while Kaiba is similar to Neon Genesis Evangelion and Ghost in the Shell)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3