• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan Manga Has 29 Million in Circulation

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pykrete

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:49 am Reply with quote
28 million in first week of December, and now 29 million.

This suggest that in about a month and a half, volumes 1-11 sold about 100k each.

So, assuming Volume 12 gets to 2 million. Volume 13 (April 2014) gets to 1.5 million in May. Plus about a million in legacy volume sales.

Shingeki 2014 First Half - likely at least 4.5 million already. If so, it's gonna be a worthy opponent for Kuroko and Magi, which I'm assuming will still get higher than Naruto sales in 2014 cause of their S2 anime.
Nemui_Nezumi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:50 am Reply with quote
stay strong Shingeki!! c:
dan9999

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:24 am Reply with quote
Nemui_Nezumi wrote:

You better direct that to the mangaka instead and hope he has talent enough to take full head on all the pressure of his sucess including his publisher probably asking him to prolong the story as much as possible and maintaining the quality while doing it.

Lets just hope this mangaka does not eventually falls prey of the Kishimoto and Kubo syndrome. I hope he does stick what he said about finishing the manga its an already known and established number if volumes.
pykrete

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:55 am Reply with quote
shosekiranking.blog.fc2.com has daily rankings of the top 500 manga.

Judging by the weekly rankings, Titans 1-11 has been averaging rank 60 since Nov. 28 last year.

So for now, I estimate that Titan 1-11 brought in 1 to 1.4 million for 2014.

That's minimum 10k per volume per week. I'm doubtful it can keep it up. But if it does, it's like Kuroko's 2012 anime boost.
Mr_42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:52 am Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
Nemui_Nezumi wrote:

You better direct that to the mangaka instead and hope he has talent enough to take full head on all the pressure of his sucess including his publisher probably asking him to prolong the story as much as possible and maintaining the quality while doing it.

Lets just hope this mangaka does not eventually falls prey of the Kishimoto and Kubo syndrome. I hope he does stick what he said about finishing the manga its an already known and established number if volumes.

He's already admitted to changing the ending he wanted to do for the series as a result of audience pressure so yeah, my hopes aren't gonna be too high. Also, and this is JUST my opinion, I don't think the AoT manga is even that good. The art work is comparatively bad to almost every other mainstream series i see, in fact I'd say AoT is perhaps the ugliest manga I own and the plot seems to be coming loose in recent chapters as it feels like Isayama pushes characters to the front forcibly rather than taking a more careful approach. In short, without the B-E-A Utifuly made anime, AoT would be as unknown and ignored as it was when it first came out almost 5 years ago. As i said, this is just my opinion but if a mangaka changes his story due to fan pressure, I can't help but think he's pandering to popularity.
bigivel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:59 am Reply with quote
Mr_42 wrote:
dan9999 wrote:
Nemui_Nezumi wrote:

He's already admitted to changing the ending he wanted to do for the series as a result of audience pressure so yeah, my hopes aren't gonna be too high. Also, and this is JUST my opinion, I don't think the AoT manga is even that good. The art work is comparatively bad to almost every other mainstream series i see, in fact I'd say AoT is perhaps the ugliest manga I own and the plot seems to be coming loose in recent chapters as it feels like Isayama pushes characters to the front forcibly rather than taking a more careful approach. In short, without the B-E-A Utifuly made anime, AoT would be as unknown and ignored as it was when it first came out almost 5 years ago. As i said, this is just my opinion but if a mangaka changes his story due to fan pressure, I can't help but think he's pandering to popularity.

You know that Attack on Titan since 2010 was selling an average of 700-600k copies per volume, right? The same average that Kuroko no Basket was/is making after the anime boost and the same average as current bleach!

If you think that without the anime Attack on Titan would be unknown and ignored you're not thinking straight!
Nemui_Nezumi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:03 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
Nemui_Nezumi wrote:

I direct that to the mangaka AND the other things related too, so yep, "stay strong Shingeki"

and personally, if the changes on his ending means something more like a happy bitter-sweet ending other than killing everyone/Game Over, I, personally, prefer that

so yeah, I have nothing to complain about his plans on changing and prolonging the manga (the only thing I hope is that if he does, it will only be for a couple of volumes more, I have enough with only one "big" series to follow = Kuroko no Basuke)
Mr_42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:15 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:

You know that Attack on Titan since 2010 was selling an average of 700-600k copies per volume, right? The same average that Kuroko no Basket was/is making after the anime boost and the same average as current bleach!

If you think that without the anime Attack on Titan would be unknown and ignored you're not thinking straight!

You're right, me saying "unknown and ignored" was a bit strong. However it is undeniable that the anime has made AoT Far, far more popular than it otherwise would have been......

"Back in December 2012 the first 9 volumes had already sold more than 10 Million copies, which is pretty damn impressive for only 9 Volumes in all fairness."

But....

"With the release of Volume 10 last month the print manga reached a total of 19.5 Million copies sold, and that is absolutely astonishing."

(http://www.thenerdcabinet.com/attack-on-titan-manga-sales-skyrocket-after-anime/8089/)

See? With The first volume sold after the anime aired the total number of copies sold all but doubled! Kodansha Comics USA, the NA AoT publishers, started releasing in June 2012. The anime had been announced only 5 months prior (january 2012) and Kodansha clearly wanted to get stocked up for what they (rightly) hoped would be a massive hit with the US and Eu crowds. Your 2010 figures are source figures, they only apply to Japan and immediate Asia. In the West there were comparatively few people who knew about AoT until the anime was announced in 2012 and aired in 2013. I don't live in Japan, I have never been to Japan. Therefore, I don't really care about the sales over there unless they directly and vitally affect the sales over here or unless i am considering the total copies sold worldwide.

So yes, I exaggerated somewhat for effect. Yes, the manga was popular since its release in Japan. But, yes AoT was far less popular in the West until the anime was revealed.
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I read the author has the ending of killing everyone cross his mind, but not that he changed the ending. It seems the ending is something he is still debating.
Mr_42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:57 pm Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
I read the author has the ending of killing everyone cross his mind, but not that he changed the ending. It seems the ending is something he is still debating.

You're half right....

"However, one of the more substantial changes to the series' direction is that he was abandoned plans for an audience traumatizing ending. He had been thinking about something along the lines of the Frank Darabont adaptation Stephen King's The Mist, but response to the series, and especially his anime adaptation has left him unable take that path, and a bit lost. With all the support that the series has received, he didn't want to slam the fans with a traumatic conclusion."

In short, he abandoned the idea of killing everyone (as you said) as a result of the series' popularity and the influx of fans after the anime release.

Full Article @
http://www.crunchyroll.co.uk/anime-news/2013/12/06-1/author-commands-on-changes-to-attack-on-titan-ending
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:25 am Reply with quote
Interestingly that a TV series which sold 55,000 copies increased the sales of the manga by tens of millions. Well, Chihayafuru sold like 2 thousand copies and the manga is selling millions as well, and it's said that the TV series boosted manga sales as well.

People can just watch or download series for free, or renting it for a small amount, so most people don't bother buying a TV series. But you need the physical manga to read it, so most people who read buy it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pykrete

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Based on http://shosekiranking.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-355.html, I think Titans 11 and 12 will still rank this week, with 11 higher than 12.

1 to 11 also averaged rank 61. According to the guildlines at the bottom of the chart, they probably sold an average of 15k a volume.

@Jose - Japanese tv anime dvds are horrendously expensive. Shingeki S1 would cost 400-500 USD. On the other hand, Japanese comic books are cheep.
pykrete

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I think it's now 30 million in circulation in Japan.

Quote:
Shingeki no Kyojin : 30,000,000 (Japon). 660,000 (Usa). 530,000 (Corée du Sud). 420,000 (Taiwan )

source

There's further discussion in the thread on whether the stated 30 million is just for Titans 1-12 or if includes spin-offs.

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNZO65926080X20C14A1000000/

Quote:
原作漫画は2009年秋から「別冊少年マガジン」で連載中で、国内での単行本の発行部数は累計3000万部

海外では原作漫画の単行本は8言語に翻訳され、10カ国以上で発売された。北米(66万部)や韓国(53万部)、台湾(42万部)。

Japan - 30m
North America - 660k
South Korea - 530k
Taiwan - 420k

I think the 30m is just Titans 1 to 12 because my computations based on data from the daily-weekly Top 500 manga site says that Titans 1 to 11 sold low of 1.32m to high of 1.76m since Nov. 18, 2013.

Still 29m circulation doesn't leave much stock for bookstore shelves, and some Titan volumes are once again out of stock on Amazon and Kino webstores today.

>>> adding sales ratio

25160668 - Titans 1-12 Oricon Sales (without special edition)
83.87%

25901580 - w/ special edition
86.34%

Over 80% sales ratio probably means stock shortage. The latest One Piece volumes didn't reach 80%.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1