• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naoki Urasawa's Billy Bat Manga Goes On 2-Month Hiatus

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:22 am Reply with quote
When will someone bring this over? I've been wanting to read this series for ages now!
xScar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:09 am Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
When will someone bring this over? I've been wanting to read this series for ages now!

Unlike Monster, 20CB, and Pluto, which are all Shogakukan titles, Billy Bat is from Kodansha.

I've asked Vertical for years now, but Ed isn't interested. The series is now too long for them to do it anyway. While Viz could potentially get it (since they do have some Kodansha titles like Vagabond), Kodansha USA is our only hope!
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:44 am Reply with quote
Are we sure its not another situation where Urasawa doesn't want it licensed until its complete?

That was a thing with Monster, yes?
xScar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:55 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Are we sure its not another situation where Urasawa doesn't want it licensed until its complete?

That was a thing with Monster, yes?

(Apparently) it was that he didn't want 20CB to be published until after Monster was done being published by Viz. However, I'm pretty sure whenever ANN interviewed him, they asked him why he wanted that done, and he had no idea about it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:27 am Reply with quote
You could always pester Crunchyroll to upload it.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:31 am Reply with quote
There's also the tiny little problem that the logo for the series looks a lot like that of a certain Caped Crusader... I want to believe that DC wouldn't make a fuss about that, but who knows?

Also, why is this news? Or did I miss the reports for all the other times this has gone on hiatus? Billy Bat seems to go for a few months weekly, then the writers take a few months off, then they come back.
medama_oyaji

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:29 am Reply with quote
I think a big issue with Viz licensing it is that their main focus seems to be digital these days, and Urasawa has said that he doesn't want his comics published that way :/

Too bad, I like what I've read of Billy Bat. It seems to be very ambitious... maybe everyone is waiting to see how he pulls it all together!
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:55 pm Reply with quote
vash: I was thinking of that, too. They could change it for America. That wouldn't be a big deal.

Anyway, I guess the only way Billy Bat is likely is happen is if sales for those Monster re-releases pick up enough.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1