• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Manga Encourages Kids to Eat Healthy

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Faiga_Raisa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
were given a non-health related newsletter

Well shit, I would take the junk food too. If someone made me read a shitty newsletter then by golly a fun-sized snickers bar would be my reward for reading that piece of crap. Maybe the sugar would help me wake up from the snoozefest they forced upon me.

Also, didn't some of the kids think: "they made us read a comic about eating fruit. Then they made us choose fruit or candy. So the obvious answer would be fruit."

This is just a really crappy unequal study with a tiny sample size.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Popeye says hello.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I think the research is invalid too. With such small number of data, I don't really think they can conclude anything from it.
Also, even adults -who are supposedly know about what's healthy and what's not- still pick unhealthy things like junk food or beer or cigarette. I think it's just a matter of preference. Even if I were to read that manga and had to choose between okra and cheeseburger, even if I already know what's good and bad about them, I'd still pick cheeseburger.

To be honest, manga encourages people to do anything. Yeah, even murder if the reader is not in the right mind. I'm not blaming manga, anime or game like those people who think those media make people violent or such (because, why can't movies and TV series do the same?)

In some rare cases, there were those people who committed murder and tried to imitate scene from manga. Like those guys who wanna be Kira.

Sorry to showed a bad example of it. Actually most of the time manga inspires people to do great things, like some soccer players who were inspired by Captain Tsubasa. By reading sport manga, I also got influenced to do the same, so I guess it kinda makes me healthier somehow.
The Mask

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Faiga_Raisa wrote:
Quote:

Well shit, I would take the junk food too. If someone made me read a shitty newsletter then by golly a fun-sized snickers bar would be my reward for reading that piece of crap. Maybe the sugar would help me wake up from the snoozefest they forced upon me.

Also, didn't some of the kids think: "they made us read a comic about eating fruit. Then they made us choose fruit or candy. So the obvious answer would be fruit."

The tiny sample size is actually understandable, since they're doing an experimental study. Experimental studies normally require at least 30 participants.

But as you said, it does look like there seems to be an extraneous variable here. If they were supposed to check if manga encourages kids to be healthy, then the control condition should've been a health-related newsletter.

At least with that control condition, the issue of whether students guessed what the study was about wouldn't have caused too much confounding.

I really wish I can read the full text of this article soon that the actual details can be criticized further.
Running Wild

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Toriko just makes me want to drink cola and eat meat all the time.
partially

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
The Mask wrote:
Faiga_Raisa wrote:
Quote:

The tiny sample size is actually understandable, since they're doing an experimental study. Experimental studies normally require at least 30 participants.

But as you said, it does look like there seems to be an extraneous variable here. If they were supposed to check if manga encourages kids to be healthy, then the control condition should've been a health-related newsletter.

At least with that control condition, the issue of whether students guessed what the study was about wouldn't have caused too much confounding.

I really wish I can read the full text of this article soon that the actual details can be criticized further.

Well actually to be useful I would actually say they needed three groups. A control simply given the choice of what to eat, a group given a health flyer to read and then the choice, and finally the group given manga and then the choice.

As you say though this is simply an extremely early exploratory study, with simple methods testing a hypothesis. It is not really something that should be media reported at this stage. This is simply a start, any rigorous research if it gets funding at all (probably unlikely), will be later.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:49 pm Reply with quote
"ENCOURAGING CHILDREN TO EAT HEALTHY IS A STUPID WASTE OF TIME"

Yeah guys fight the power
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1