• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Akihabara Rental Service Lets You Hang Out With a NEET

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacAttack270

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You might find him to be pretty NEET.

Groan...

I can't see the appeal in wanting to utilize this man's "services" personally. What's the point? Rent-a-friend who makes you feel better about yourself?
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Paradoxical individual is paradoxical.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:13 pm Reply with quote
MacAttack270 wrote:
ANN wrote:

Groan...

I can't see the appeal in wanting to utilize this man's "services" personally. What's the point? Rent-a-friend who makes you feel better about yourself?

Yeah I share that same thought too. I don't even understand why they're making a service where you hang out with NEET.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:14 pm Reply with quote
MacAttack270 wrote:
Quote:

Groan...

There are "service's" for all sorts of things, be it maid cafes, socially taboo hotels, so why NOT a self described NEET offering his specialty in being a nerd one could rent to hang out with just to talk about things "normal" people wouldn't bring up in a conversation?
Blue21

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:16 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Yeah I share that same thought too. I don't even understand why they're making a service where you hang out with NEET.

I'm sure the appeal of novelty will attract a consumer base.

And it's not even like it's a company that's offering this service. From what I understand, it's a guy completely on his own.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Well there a job just hanging out with some weirdo who pays cash money to hang out with a NEET
acetatsujin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Would like to hang out with a NEET girl. Yeah!
MacAttack270

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:44 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
There are "service's" for all sorts of things, be it maid cafes, socially taboo hotels, so why NOT a self described NEET offering his specialty in being a nerd one could rent to hang out with just to talk about things "normal" people wouldn't bring up in a conversation?

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure you could probably take a stroll through Akihabara and find someone to converse with on the same topics without having to pay them. But the bigger point is the irony that this guy offering himself as a NEET to chill out with is in fact no longer a NEET by offering this service.

IRONY!#$
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Why not just be a man-whore? Laughing
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote
It is kind of pathetic in a way to pay someone to buy someone to talk to you, I especially felt legitimately sad and worried with the last two times I heard about stuff like this, but honestly I could see people using this, at least for a while. Primarily because not everyone can just walk up to someone and just nerd out, and if people haven't realized yet that there is a way to do it for free, they probably will use this service and never realize it or never even to bother to try.

Quote:
He's strangely popular with high schoolers it seems.

that said things could go wrong pretty easily.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:18 pm Reply with quote
they get pay, they are no longer a NEET.

Thatguy3331 wrote:
It is kind of pathetic in a way to pay someone to buy someone to talk to you, I especially felt legitimately sad and worried with the last two times I heard about stuff like this, but honestly I could see people using this, at least for a while. Primarily because not everyone can just walk up to someone and just nerd out, and if people haven't realized yet that there is a way to do it for free, they probably will use this service and never realize it or never even to bother to try.

not really. Buy someone to talk to you is normal is almost all the society, even in high class society(rich people)
Suena

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Aren't there already paid services for things like hugging? This seems a lot more reasonable - in the context of present Japanese society.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:26 pm Reply with quote
If he had a good command of the English language, I'd do it. He probably could be a pretty decent tour guide for some areas of Tokyo, and he might know some killer places to eat that you'd never hear of on travel sites. I'd rather go to places that 'locals' dine at instead of the ones that are frequented by tourists.

The way I see it, 1000 yen/hour is pretty cheap for a tour guide.
SteveUzumaki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I can't say that this is a good thing, but like others have said, not everyone can go up to some person and just nerd out. And then there's the point that not everyone has the required social skills to even talk to people, much less have a full-blown conversation. If people like this can just pay someone to have a friend for a day, then good on them, but otherwise I probably wouldn't recommend this.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Pay for a NEET? Wouldn't it be easier to drag one to a convention of their choosing and all you need is to pay for their admission and spend an entire day with them not just an hour or two. I can't see myself paying for a service when I can just drag them out the house to a convention especially for anything Gundam or model/figure related conventions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2