• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sailor Moon's Cutie Moon Rod Gets a Proplica Update

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PipingHotTea

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Looks lovely! Nice that they put the Moon Kingdom on the display stand.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Goodness this is beautiful.

I'd rather that one than the crescent moon Rod. I've always loved this and the Heart Rod too.

HNNNGGGG
rainbowrabbit

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:23 am Reply with quote
It's cute and all, but why are these wands so much money? That is not worth no $100 unless it works as an actual weapon.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
rainbowrabbit wrote:
It's cute and all, but why are these wands so much money? That is not worth no $100 unless it works as an actual weapon.

The cost of appealing to a niche audience. Similar quality items exists for Tokusatsu and Pretty Cure and only cost around 2000-4000 yen since they're mass produced and have a popular TV show to advertise them. Sailor Moon does not, so they make limited quantities of the toys and they cost more because of it.

I have the Moon Stick and it's not worth it's price, sorry to say. The only difference between it and my Kamen Rider Gaim DJ Gun or Kyoryuger Gaburevolver is it comes in a pretty collector's box rather than a cheap cardboard box. I might be bias though since I collect these kinds of toys for Toku and Pretty Cure so I'm used to toys like these and what they usually cost. Moon Stick should have been about 4000 yen at best, if you throw out the box. Still a nice toy, don't get me wrong, but it's the price we pay for getting things like this for older, more obscure shows.

-Stuart Smith
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:38 pm Reply with quote
(Sings)I have an original, I have an original. Razz Laughing
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
rainbowrabbit wrote:

The cost of appealing to a niche audience. Similar quality items exists for Tokusatsu and Pretty Cure and only cost around 2000-4000 yen since they're mass produced and have a popular TV show to advertise them. Sailor Moon does not, so they make limited quantities of the toys and they cost more because of it.

I have the Moon Stick and it's not worth it's price, sorry to say. The only difference between it and my Kamen Rider Gaim DJ Gun or Kyoryuger Gaburevolver is it comes in a pretty collector's box rather than a cheap cardboard box. I might be bias though since I collect these kinds of toys for Toku and Pretty Cure so I'm used to toys like these and what they usually cost. Moon Stick should have been about 4000 yen at best, if you throw out the box. Still a nice toy, don't get me wrong, but it's the price we pay for getting things like this for older, more obscure shows.

-Stuart Smith

To make an even closer comparison: BoA's Legendary Dragon Dagger, which retails at $80. The blade uses the same rubber as your standard Toku blades (perhaps slightly more sturdy than the Gokai Saber and KRW Prism Bicker, but it might just be because there's more supporting it), and the majority of it is painted plastic. However, the gold parts are die cast metal, giving the prop a nice weight to it, enough to be believable.

For sounds, it has 6 sounds. 3 are standard "fighting" sounds, and 3 are songs. 2 are the songs used in the show, and the third is the full-length theme song.

As was discussed in the Astro Toy review thread, it doesn't really hold up to the price.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1