• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime based on video games and vice-versa.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrDandi97

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:37 am Reply with quote
Video Games based on Anime have been around since the 80' and they continue to exist even today.A great majority of them are liked even from non-Anime fans.But we aren't seeing much variety in these games.We only see games based on Naruto,DBZ,Bleach and One Piece.Also many games become successful both financially and critically.Doing so they create a large fan-base.So my question is this:
Do we need more Anime based on Video Games,Video Games based on Anime or both?
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:53 am Reply with quote
MrDandi97 wrote:
We only see games based on Naruto,DBZ,Bleach and One Piece.

I'm pretty sure that you're vastly underestimating on this; a Sword Art Online game for the PSP is due out in March, for instance, and I've seen notices about games either being released or in development for other series over the course of the year.

Also remember that anime series being based on video or ero games have become commonplace in the last few years, so in several cases each year the game exists before the anime does.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MrDandi97

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:28 am Reply with quote
What i meant was that those 3 particular Anime series have a majority of games.Not that those are the only ones that have games.In the past 3 years we have had 5 Naruto games,2 DBZ games with one of them not really good.There are a lot of series that would look good as a game.Also most Anime based on games come from Visual Novels and Eroges.I am perfectly aware of this and when i say game-based Anime i mean categories other than VN and Eroges.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:26 pm Reply with quote
MrDandi97 wrote:
Do we need more Anime based on Video Games,Video Games based on Anime or both?

Please provide the common courtesy of stating your own opinion, first, so you can get the ball rolling. What's your general stance on the original source material vs. the eventual adaptation? Are there any particular examples that you've actually experienced and would like to compare?
MrDandi97

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Ah,sorry Anime smile + sweatdrop !I should have thought of that myself.Personally i would like to see both,but i like to see more Video Games based on Anime.There are really good Anime that would perfectly fit as Video Games.An example would be Hellsing.The game would look great i think.It would play like most Hack n' Slash games.Although due to the nature of the Anime the game would be directed to a specific age.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Actually, now that you bring up Hellsing, I think if Capcom had made it like the 3rd and 4th Devil May Cry games, it would've been a LOT of fun. The battle engine and hectic gameplay/comboing would do wonders with Alucard, Seras, or Walter, depending on how/if they made them all playable characters.

On the other end of the spectrum (game-to-anime), have you even seen Gungrave? I actually saw the anime before playing any of the games, but after playing, I think it was Overdose, I'm a bit curious to revisit the anime at some point 'cause I'm honestly surprised at how the anime is so much more engaging than the games were meant to be.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Aren't there like hundreds of simulation video games based on different anime? I mean, 99% of them are only released in Japan, but still, you can't really say there are only video games based on three or four anime.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I can think of a fair number of Japan-only games out there connected to anime/manga, even excluding the ones that are based on visual novels. NANA, Digimon, Nodame Cantabile, to name a few (I actually own the Nodame DS game, it's mostly rhythm stuff ala Elite Beat Agents so I can play without understanding the language).
MrDandi97

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think if Capcom had made it like the 3rd and 4th Devil May Cry games, it would've been a LOT of fun.

My thought exactly. A Hellsing Video Game with Devil May Cry engine,style and gameplay would be a match made in Heaven. Also a Video Game based on Needless would be really good. A Character Creation mode would be really good.

@Sohma_Curse: Again the same thing i said to Key.I meant a majority of games are from those specific Anime.Think how many DBZ games are there and how many Death Note,Hellsing and Needless games are there.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:10 pm Reply with quote
There definitely is at least one Death Note game. Again, Japan only.

Actually, according to Wikipedia there are three of them.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:36 pm Reply with quote
MrDandi97 wrote:
@ Sohma_Curse: Again the same thing i said to Key.I meant a majority of games are from those specific Anime.Think how many DBZ games are there and how many Death Note,Hellsing and Needless games are there.

Well the release of games here in the US is of course going to depend on the relative popularity of the anime they're based on (coupled with the popularity of the genre the game is). Unfortunately, most game developers are looking for Naruto/Pokemon/Dragon Ball-type popularity in the US that will never be achieved by a large majority of awesome anime that would make for great games.

Be that as it may, I think that many 'slice of life' anime are doomed to be in the simulation genre (which isn't all that popular over here). But an anime like Darker than Black, for example, would make for a SICK 3rd person action/adventure game (contractors running amok in a big city?!? c'mon, how could that NOT be awesome?).
MrDandi97

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:35 am Reply with quote
That's the answer i wanted.State your opinion about the topic at hand and give an example.There is no harm in giving new ideas about Video Games and Anime.Who knows,a idea about a Anime going Video Game or vice-versa can get popularity and demand that a developer can create said idea.
Tsubasasan11

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:02 am Reply with quote
Don't forget Persona 4 the animation based on the game. There are also older games for PC like Magical Battle Arena which has Sakura from Cardcaptor Sakura and Lina from Slayers. But I can see what you mean... most newer games that branch off from anime series are normally the very popular ones because they are known world wide and will sell the most.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:39 am Reply with quote
I think there is too much bad adaptations of visual novels, but are visual novels considered as video games?
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:40 am Reply with quote
I would argue that a visual novel should be classified as a video game if the game invites the player to understand that the procedural system is multicursal rather than unicursal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1