• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Fatal Frame Wii U Game's 1st Trailer Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mira810303

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote
For those interested, Youtube user Sumwheat posted the trailer with English subtitles --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EToyjrr-Au0

Even has a nice blurb in the description regarding the meaning of the title as well Smile.

Also, correction - the game title is given as Rei ~Nure Karasu no Miko~, but it should be Zero ~Nuregarasu no Miko~.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Ah, look, a cool survival horror game that isn't a first-person "Slender" or "Amnesia" knockoff that we'll never get to play in America! Yay!

Wait...
spinja446

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Ah, look, a cool survival horror game that isn't a first-person "Slender" or "Amnesia" knockoff that we'll never get to play in America! Yay!

Wait...

All these franchises aren't first person.

Silent Hill (With the exception of The Room)
Resident Evil
Siren Blood Curse
Fatal Frame (including 4 that has also been translated with a patch.)
Dead Space
Clock Tower 3
ObsCure and ObsCure The Aftermath
Deadly Premonition

The Evil Within is also third person game that will be released soon. I could keep listing horror games that aren't first person.
u6064vision

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I own all three Fatal Frames for the Ps2 including an import of Fatal Frame 4 for the Wii and played it with the fan translation back in 2010.

I'm sure if this game doesn't get released outside of Japan we'll get another fan translation for this new Fatal Frame so I'm not worried about it. However if Nintendo of America was smart they would bring it to the US.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:12 pm Reply with quote
spinja446 wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:

Wait...

Resident Evil
Siren Blood Curse
Dead Space
Clock Tower 3
Deadly Premonition

The Evil Within is also third person game that will be released soon. I could keep listing horror games that aren't first person.
Yes, except Silent Hill Homecoming was more of an action game, with only Downpour being really great. Siren was a downloadable title way back when, Fatal Frame 4 didn't come out here (patches don't count,) Dead Space and Resident Eveil turned into action franchises (although DS 1&2 and RE 5&Revelations were good,) Clock Tower 3 came out ages ago, ditto with Obscure, and... okay, yeah, you've got me with Deadly Premonition.

I'm not quite sure if you're trying to start some sort of silly argument here for the sake of proving me wrong, but if you were, you'd be missing one major point. Most of the games you listed have not come out in the wake of Amnesia and Slender, after which every developer feels like they need to put their horror game in first-person and emulate that style of gameplay. Most of them are older than that, and the franchises you mention that have continued have turned into shadows of their former selves. RE6 was abhorrent, and Dead Space 3 was a good shooter but terrible horror game.

And actually, you mentioning Clock Tower 3 proves my point. Survival horror games in the PS2 era were just better, in terms of concept, interesting leads, and original stories. You can't honestly believe that any horror game that has come out since, say, 2009-2010 (outside of Deadly Premonition, which, indeed, is a wonderful game) has been as intriguing or original as Rule of Rose, Kuon, Silent Hill 2&3, Clock Tower 3, The Suffering, Haunting Ground, Extermination... I could go on.

When we do get a good survival horror game, it has the stock "grizzled white guy" protagonist that I'm oh-so-sick of. I'm not as excited as I should be for "The Evil Within" because of that, as well as the fact that advance press and impressions have been not very good, to say the least. Honestly, the only horror game I'm excited for this year is "Alien: Isolation," which despite being in first-person, looks to be completely devoid of aping games popular among screaming YouTube personalities like PewdiePie, and more focused on delivering a chilling, atmospheric time with a cool protagonist.

I'm not trying to go off on you here, but you came across as immensely antagonistic, and trying to prove me wrong for... no apparently reason, really. So yeah.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:20 pm Reply with quote
spinja446 wrote:

Resident Evil
Siren Blood Curse
Dead Space
Clock Tower 3
Deadly Premonition

Not exactly re-assuring. Silent Hill went downhill hard with Homecoming (one of the worst games I've experienced) and Downpour (at least had potential, but executed poorly), RE has been action-orientated since 5 (with the exception of Revelations), Siren Blood Curse was the last entry in 6 years (and we didn't even get a physical release), it's iffy if Fatal Frame will come over here anymore (and I'm not a buying a 2nd Wii just to mod it, so screw that), Clock Tower and ObsCure are PS2 era, and Deadly Premonition is one of those "bad, but in a fun kinda way" titles (some serious bugs/glitches, in fact the Director's Cut seems to have MORE which is odd) but the only enemy that is frightening are the giant dogs (the upside-down-head goons quickly stop being scary as you become irritated with how they NEVER SHUT UP). Dead Space I'll give you, though 3 was disappointing.

Seriously, third-person survival horror has gone way downhill starting with this past generation. You also forgot The Last of Us, and while some might say, "hey, that's not that scary", true, but you know what?! It's way more scary than SH Homecoming/Downpour or RE 5 and 6! Get yourself together, Konami and Capcom, for gods' sake!

Also, while it's 2-D, shout outs to indie title Lone Survivor, which was far more like Silent Hill than Homecoming or Downpour have any claim to be.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I don't really see your point, Outlast wasn't less of a good horror game just because it was in first person. Neither is Amnesia the first fp horror game either.

So what exactly are you getting at?
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:46 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I don't really see your point, Outlast wasn't less of a good horror game just because it was in first person. Neither is Amnesia the first fp horror game either.

So what exactly are you getting at?

Not sure who you're talking to here, but I'm not saying anything bad about first-person horror. I've played Condemned 1 and Outlast and they were fairly solid.

Just saying it would be nice if third-person horror was still going strong as well. Diversity is nice, you know?
spinja446

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Yes, except Silent Hill Homecoming was more of an action game, with only Downpour being really great. Siren was a downloadable title way back when, Fatal Frame 4 didn't come out here (patches don't count,) Dead Space and Resident Eveil turned into action franchises (although DS 1&2 and RE 5&Revelations were good,) Clock Tower 3 came out ages ago, ditto with Obscure, and... okay, yeah, you've got me with Deadly Premonition.

I'm not quite sure if you're trying to start some sort of silly argument here for the sake of proving me wrong, but if you were, you'd be missing one major point. Most of the games you listed have not come out in the wake of Amnesia and Slender, after which every developer feels like they need to put their horror game in first-person and emulate that style of gameplay. Most of them are older than that, and the franchises you mention that have continued have turned into shadows of their former selves. RE6 was abhorrent, and Dead Space 3 was a good shooter but terrible horror game.

And actually, you mentioning Clock Tower 3 proves my point. Survival horror games in the PS2 era were just better, in terms of concept, interesting leads, and original stories. You can't honestly believe that any horror game that has come out since, say, 2009-2010 (outside of Deadly Premonition, which, indeed, is a wonderful game) has been as intriguing or original as Rule of Rose, Kuon, Silent Hill 2&3, Clock Tower 3, The Suffering, Haunting Ground, Extermination... I could go on.

When we do get a good survival horror game, it has the stock "grizzled white guy" protagonist that I'm oh-so-sick of. I'm not as excited as I should be for "The Evil Within" because of that, as well as the fact that advance press and impressions have been not very good, to say the least. Honestly, the only horror game I'm excited for this year is "Alien: Isolation," which despite being in first-person, looks to be completely devoid of aping games popular among screaming YouTube personalities like PewdiePie, and more focused on delivering a chilling, atmospheric time with a cool protagonist.

I'm not trying to go off on you here, but you came across as immensely antagonistic, and trying to prove me wrong for... no apparently reason, really. So yeah.

Wow way to spin what I said and make me look like I was being a total douche. I didn't even remotely try to come off as that but w/e. I was trying to say third person horror games out there exist even if they are old and new. And most of every string of first person horror games and the two you mentioned and that have all been coming out recently are mostly indie titles or are really under budget horror games using cheap open game engines. Sorry if I stepped on your damn toes. Read my first post again, I made a list of games? How did I come across as antagonistic? Can't make a simple list of games to show that there are some decent third person horror games out there if you look. Chill out man, holy crap. Don't throw me on a cross and crucify me cause I give you a list of games. I didn't insult you or nothing
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was pretty clear that the poster was making a comment on the current state of horror games. Not that there were never non first person horror games.

Regardless of the being indie or not, a lot of the recent horror games have been first person horror games. There's been a lack of third person ones.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I don't see the problem with most horror games in the west using a first-person camera system. Amnesia set the standard for delivering a stellar horror experience that a mainstream audience could latch onto, and it did it while both Resident Evil and Dead Space championed their pervasive blend of action horror. Other developers using it as inspiration is no different than what it was like in the 90's, when every survival horror game mimicked Resident Evil's third-person perspective and tank controls. With that said, I agree variety is the spice of life, and I really want this new Fatal Frame game to make it to the states. Someone seriously needs to pull an Operation Rainfall for the Fatal Frame series in the West.
Forlorn Hope

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:47 pm Reply with quote
ParkerALx wrote:
Someone seriously needs to pull an Operation Rainfall for the Fatal Frame series in the West.

I take it that you've never heard of Operation Zero?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:21 am Reply with quote
spinja446 wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:

Wait...

Resident Evil
Siren Blood Curse
Dead Space
Clock Tower 3
Deadly Premonition

I'm going to add few more to the list that highly underrated and get looked over alot.
Demento/Haunting Ground-Ps2
Rule of The Rose-Ps2
Deep Fear-Sega Saturn- Japan and Pal region only

Now as far as the new fatal frame goes if Nintendo was truly smart they would try to localize this title as a selling point for the wii-u.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lostrune

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:48 am Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:

Wait...

At least we don't have to worry about YouTubers faking being scared while playing it Laughing

ParkerALx wrote:
I don't see the problem with most horror games in the west using a first-person camera system.

It tends to be seen as kinda a cheap copout. Why render a fully expressive and functioning character to relate to when you can just animate a floating hand or gun Wink You're never going to get your own Leon Kennedy or Claire Redfield that way. First person games tend to be very lacking in good main characters.

I didn't find Amnesia scary though. It relied too much on cheap jump scares. Japanese horror games seem to be more about unnerving atmosphere and creepiness which I prefer. Like Silent Hill
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1