• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Harmony Gold to Release Robotech/Super Dimension Fortress Macross DVD Set

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least they acknowledge that Macross exists. Rolling Eyes
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I...don't know about this...having them both under the Robotech brand is odd. Is it that hard to ask for things to be simple and pure?

Last edited by Angel'sArcanum on Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Is there anything special about this after the ADV/HG set? But really, way to be so 20th century when the Macross is out on BD in Japan, and I just bet this is going to be using that old master with the bad colors, the one the ADV set used. Either way, the 82 series has been available in multiple uncut forms in the past, so it's not like HG is really offering anything new here to Macross fans other than a means to get it easy and cheap again with the AnimEigo and ADV sets either being OOP or generally hard to come by.

Also, I didn't enjoy the tone of that guy in the SDCC panel "durp these fans want the original versions with all the grain and the natural colors and the not our poorly contrasted, over-saturated, and line-bleeding version".

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:10 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Is there anything special about this after the ADV/HG set? Also, way to be so 20th century, Macross is out on BD in Japan, and I just bet this is going to be using that old master with the bad colors, the one the ADV set had.

This is Harmony Gold we are talking about, the masters of patent trolling and not caring.
bhl88

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I feel that a Blu-Ray won't count for much with an old show....
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:16 pm Reply with quote
bhl88 wrote:
I feel that a Blu-Ray won't count for much with an old show....

Have you seen a BD for an old show? Even one shot on 16mm with likely not the best film stock? It can still come out looking great, if grain is your thing, and I'll point to the Urusei Yatsura sets as an example. A BD can count for a lot, especially when you replace DVD's mpeg2.

http://is-delicio.us/releases/macross/macross_bd_source.png
http://is-delicio.us/releases/macross/macross_bd_source_02.png

Also, Macross II is now out on BD, and the screenshoots are looking good.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:40 pm Reply with quote
This is the only thing from HG I would consider buying, key word is consider, there kickstarter plans for Robotech will not see a penny out of me.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
This is like getting a call from a kidnapper to hear my kid's voice to know they're still alive.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, this is just mindblowing, I never thought Harmony Gold would release the uncut version of Macross. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:42 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Is there anything special about this after the ADV/HG set?

Well it's AVAILABLE for one thing. But you're totally right that it's a damn shame we're not getting a Blu with the new transfer.

mdo7 wrote:
Oh wow, this is just mindblowing, I never thought Harmony Gold would release the uncut version of Macross. Shocked

They've released it twice before. And Southern Cross, and Mospeda.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
So not only is it not the new HD master, it doesn't even have the uncut ADV-dub, or even the original HGUSA-dub for the first episodes. I wonder what subtitles they'll be using, the AnimEigo or the ADV; If I remember correctly, there is a bit of a difference between the two.

Quote:
Oh wow, this is just mindblowing, I never thought Harmony Gold would release the uncut version of Macross.

Why? They've already done it three times before.
blucub

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I just wish the sets had the ADV Macross dub on it then it would be a sell for me other wise ill just stick with my old ADV/HG robotech remastered DVDs
Arcwave

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Is there anything special about this after the ADV/HG set? Also, way to be so 20th century, Macross is out on BD in Japan, and I just bet this is going to be using that old master with the bad colors, the one the ADV set had.

This is Harmony Gold we are talking about, the masters of patent trolling and not caring.

I'm surprised they're even still around...
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:

mdo7 wrote:

They've released it twice before. And Southern Cross, and Mospeda.

gravediggernalk wrote:

Why? They've already done it three times before.

I thought (and recalled) ADV release the uncut version not Harmony Gold, did Harmony gold ever release these uncut before ADV film did those??
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:08 pm Reply with quote
gravediggernalk wrote:
So not only is it not the new HD master, it doesn't even have the uncut ADV-dub, or even the original HGUSA-dub for the first episodes. I wonder what subtitles they'll be using, the AnimEigo or the ADV; If I remember correctly, there is a bit of a difference between the two.
Why would you expect whoever holds the rights to the HD master to hand those materials over to HG, or HG to pay any kind of money for new materials?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6