• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan Manga Wins 2014 Harvey Award

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:00 am Reply with quote
Well deserved Very Happy

And coincidentally, a new chapter came out this week also.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:05 am Reply with quote
Nice to see Cyborg 009 getting some award-worthy representation. Also, congrats on AoT for winning.
OH&S

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:54 am Reply with quote
Excellent news for AOT. Truly well deserved.
sim0n2170

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:22 am Reply with quote
Awesome congratz.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:45 am Reply with quote
Is this the first shonen manga to win the award?
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:54 am Reply with quote
Really ????? i know it's popular but since when is that a reason to give out Harvey Awards ?
It never where titles like this before by this logic One Piece and Naruto should already have won one.

Also this franchise was largely pushed by it's anime (remember when AOT as a manga was a flop in the west) which gave about the biggest boost an anime could give to a manga because i say it : the Anime is far superior to the manga !!!!
Because MR Isayama is kind of a amateur compared to other mangagaka he may not realize it but he must thank Production I.G and Wit studio on this knees that they made him rich.
He can't even stand in the shadows of the likes of Urasawa,DR Tezuka,Oda,Miura and so on.

I really think this time they let popularity take over which they wern't known for and a title like this doesn't need.
Naruto Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:17 am Reply with quote
TonyTonyChopper wrote:

Also this franchise was largely pushed by it's anime (remember when AOT as a manga was a flop in the west) which gave about the biggest boost an anime could give to a manga because i say it : the Anime is far superior to the manga !!!!
Because MR Isayama is kind of a amateur compared to other mangagaka he may not realize it but he must thank Production I.G and Wit studio on this knees that they made him rich.
He can't even stand in the shadows of the likes of Urasawa,DR Tezuka,Oda,Miura and so on.

Couldn't disagree more! Sure, the anime is flashy and has some neat animation and good music placement, but they took out most of what made the manga great: the more subtle character interactions, developments, and flaws.

For a recent example, Episode 16. Stylish and intense, yes. Awesome episode, yes. But they neutered it buy removing the subtle scenes that build the characters the most. For example, in the manga Bertolt is absent from the view of everyone who stays with the Survey Corps, then looks back in his individual panel, and is the only one looking over his shoulder at Annie as she walks away. He's indecisive and lacks willpower. So of course he'd be torn in a situation like that. Anime Bertolt just looks straight forward like everyone else. I've been disappointed with things like this throughout the entire series.

Anyway, yes, Isayama is still inexperienced as an artist. But as far as the narrative goes, he's not far behind the Urasawas and Odas. As long as the plot (I'm at Volume 9) doesn't fall apart in Naruto war arc fashion, I believe Titan will be an all time great.
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:26 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Naruto Guru"]
TonyTonyChopper wrote:

For a recent example, Episode 16. Stylish and intense, yes. Awesome episode, yes. But they neutered it buy removing the subtle scenes that build the characters the most. For example, in the manga Bertolt is absent from the view of everyone who stays with the Survey Corps, then looks back in his individual panel, and is the only one looking over his shoulder at Annie as she walks away. He's indecisive and lacks willpower. So of course he'd be torn in a situation like that. Anime Bertolt just looks straight forward like everyone else. I've been disappointed with things like this throughout the entire series.

I wanted to offer a quick correction. Bertolt does look back at Annie in the anime. This is actually an important plot point, so it makes sense they would put it in the TV series. Having kept up with the most recent chapters of the manga, I continue to be impressed by several developments that are helped by the choices they made in the television series. A minor character whose arc gets short shifted in the manga has some emotional weight added to his story, which to an anime only viewer would look like padding, but in the context of the most recent chapters offers far more pathos and character development not just for him, but one of the more major characters in the series as well.

I think because of time and page number constraints, there is only so much content Isamaya can put into one issue. This is made clear by the fact scenes were add in the volume releases that were not in the magazine editions. Isayama and his editor had started meeting the anime producer George Wada as early as volume 2 to discuss the anime adaptation. The TV series offers them an opportunity to delve into plots and characters they could not in the manga for various reasons. Wada pointed out at a recent panel in Germany they are already in pre-production on season 2 though an official announcement is still a long way off. Maybe this time they could actually afford to send some artists to that country for research instead of relying on photos like they did for the first season.
EastN3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I'm up to date with the manga, and I enjoy it, but this is a joke. To put this in perspective, Akira and The Incal were previous winners of this award. Anyone who says the name of those and AoT in the same breath needs their head examined. Sad to see the hype get to the heads of a group supposedly upholding a standard of the graphic novel/comic medium. AoT is on the level of Bleach in storytelling.

P.S. Whoever claimed that Isayama and Urasawa were almost equal...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Good joke. Everybody laughed.
kanechin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:43 pm Reply with quote
of course the manga that's basically the walking dead which muricans love gets the award.
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:03 pm Reply with quote
EastN3 wrote:
Wow. I'm up to date with the manga, and I enjoy it, but this is a joke. To put this in perspective, Akira and The Incal were previous winners of this award. Anyone who says the name of those and AoT in the same breath needs their head examined. Sad to see the hype get to the heads of a group supposedly upholding a standard of the graphic novel/comic medium. AoT is on the level of Bleach in storytelling.

P.S. Whoever claimed that Isayama and Urasawa were almost equal...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Good joke. Everybody laughed.

Apparently many professionals disagree with your unprofessional opinion.
endallchaos

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Well deserved. I feel like AoT haters are raging as they read this article... Laughing
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Great news. All the more reason for us to keep picking it up. Can't wait to see what other awards it will win.
Naruto Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:18 pm Reply with quote
brankoburcksen wrote:

I wanted to offer a quick correction. Bertolt does look back at Annie in the anime. This is actually an important plot point, so it makes sense they would put it in the TV series. Having kept up with the most recent chapters of the manga, I continue to be impressed by several developments that are helped by the choices they made in the television series. A minor character whose arc gets short shifted in the manga has some emotional weight added to his story, which to an anime only viewer would look like padding, but in the context of the most recent chapters offers far more pathos and character development not just for him, but one of the more major characters in the series as well.

Really? I don't know how i missed it then... still I'm sure there are some things that really are absent. The parts about Eren hitting his head being the reason they knew his gear was broken? Annie getting annoyed that Eren didn't want to practice her move at the end of the flashback? Ilse's Notebook? (Well, I know that one is an OVA now, but I still think it should have been part of the show)

Anyway, most of what you're saying here does make me more enthusiastic to see what else they'll do in the anime. I thought I would have enjoyed it more as an anime-only watcher, but hearing that so many manga readers approve (and that Isayama himself is involved) is encouraging to hear. I really do want to love the show as much as the manga!
InuYashaCrusade

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:09 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Is this the first shonen manga to win the award?

This isn't a shonen series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2