• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Monster Episodes 16-30 Streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seraphim_Alchemist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:25 am Reply with quote
Did Viz ever say anything about Monster on dvd? *sigh* (That first box sits alone in my shelf Sad!! ) Regardless, I really loved these episodes. The whole show is one big, fun interesting mystery. Great characters and a truly original premise.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Urasawa has an uncanny knack for digging deep into throwaway characters,

You really hit the nail on the head with that one.

FYI: Netflix just started streaming this too. So for those of you who have a subscription, no commercials. It's subtitled. Oh. And you can't find it by typing just Monster. You have to type Naoki Urasawa's Monster for it to pop up.
http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/Naoki-Urasawa-s-Monster-Season-1/70178606

Now it's time for me to beat a dead horse....I wish Viz could just release the whole thing (along with Hikaru no Go) in some sort of Limited Edition, premium price set since they've got the whole darn thing done already. I get that they don't have enough support to warrant the 15 episode box set, but it seems like there are enough of us out there who would pay more to own a complete physical release. For those of you in the know, how much would it really cost them to do so? It seems like since they have everything done but the actual DVD menu and encoding that it would be pretty cheap? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm curious.
Ranemoraken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, I want to finish the series, cause I'm told it is soooooo good. It's always compared with death note.

So I bought the first boxset and was not impressed.

Cliches abound; uninteresting and off acting. I think every episode had a nurse played by Michelle Ruff.

Still, I usually stick through with something... I'd like to see the rest of these dubbed. Argh, now I wish that I hadn't missed the dub on ani-monday.
driverstart

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Ranemoraken wrote:
Still, I usually stick through with something... I'd like to see the rest of these dubbed. Argh, now I wish that I hadn't missed the dub on ani-monday.

Don't worry! MANGAentertainment on YouTube still has all the episodes up and they are all dubbed I believe!

http://www.youtube.com/show/monster
gwdone

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Oh I love Monster!! Especially Grimmer! I own box set one and wish I had the balance of the series on DVD. Thanks for the Manga you tube link! I will download the balance of the series and if it comes out for sale, I'll buy them. I assume it would be 4 more box sets. That's one I want to own forever.
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I didn't even know this show had arcs, it just seemed like one long drawn out confrontation. I stopped halfway through since it seemed like the show wasn't going anywhere until the end anyway.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Ranemoraken wrote:
Well, I want to finish the series, cause I'm told it is soooooo good. It's always compared with death note.

So I bought the first boxset and was not impressed.

Cliches abound; uninteresting and off acting. I think every episode had a nurse played by Michelle Ruff.

I wish I hadn't been in Korea in 2009. I missed episodes 11-20 myself.
willydingo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:56 pm Reply with quote
The main problem with monster is that it's too good for anime fans. They're used to kiddy fantasy stuff like death note and one piece. It's like showing a guy who's used to watching movies like harry potter and transformers a movie like silence of the lambs. Of course they'll be like "this is boring! no supernatural laser throwing abilities? this is just about a serial killer and a detective.. and too much talking (or fillers, yea, any conversation counts as fillers) ew."

Stick to your random shounen animes please. Thanks.
grooven

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I love monster I think it is one of the best animes out there. It has genuine emotion and thrill! I found that people who are not fans of anime can get into this as well.
Siouxsie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:44 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:

FYI: Netflix just started streaming this too. So for those of you who have a subscription, no commercials. It's subtitled. Oh. And you can't find it by typing just Monster. You have to type Naoki Urasawa's Monster for it to pop up.
http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/Naoki-Urasawa-s-Monster-Season-1/70178606

Oh you rock for the pro tip. I just found it on Netflix earlier this month but it was DVD only then.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1