• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kingdom Hearts III Development Shifts to Unreal Engine

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:18 am Reply with quote
So Luminous Engine ended up being another hot slice of Square-Enix bullshit basically?

That company seems to make nothing but terrible decisions these days.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:20 am Reply with quote
A new engine is going to delay an already delayed game how long?
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:03 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

From what they've said, Unreal is going to actually make the entire process faster because Luminous was giving them trouble they kept getting stuck at.

I don't know what I think about the change itself since they spent so much time, effort, and money to get the engine to work, and partially FOR Kingdom Hearts III, but if they made a decision to leave it behind, then it was probably for the best that they do so. They wouldn't throw away their own engine like that for no reason.
kh_gal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:51 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

From what they've said, Unreal is going to actually make the entire process faster because Luminous was giving them trouble they kept getting stuck at.

I don't know what I think about the change itself since they spent so much time, effort, and money to get the engine to work, and partially FOR Kingdom Hearts III, but if they made a decision to leave it behind, then it was probably for the best that they do so. They wouldn't throw away their own engine like that for no reason.

So question: was Unreal the original engine used for Kingdom Hearts I/II? What type of engine was Luminous if they kept getting stuck?

I'm in agreement that Nomura wouldn't make a drastic change like this unless he had a good reason. So long as the game is finally in development that works for me.
Nyren

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:54 am Reply with quote
Letthemeatraep wrote:
So Luminous Engine ended up being another hot slice of Square-Enix bullshit basically?

That company seems to make nothing but terrible decisions these days.

No, you have it all wrong. Only Kingdom Hearts is switching engines. And even then, they never confirmed that it was running on Luminous anyway. In fact, I remember there being a mention of something called the "Kingdom Shader" once upon a time.

Final Fantasy XV will be unaffected by this and is still being made on Luminous.
IanC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:55 am Reply with quote
Well... this sucks.

Early Unreal engine games always, ALWAYS without fail, look shitty and perform poorly. So I'm not holding much hope for this...
TD912

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:15 am Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
Well... this sucks.

Early Unreal engine games always, ALWAYS without fail, look shitty and perform poorly. So I'm not holding much hope for this...

Huh? This isn't some engine from like 10 years ago.

Unreal Engine 4 is a very technically competent engine. Unreal has been eager to show off tech demos running on everything from mobile phones to high-end gaming PCs, with lots of different art styles and genres of games. Just check out their YouTube channel.
tootbrush

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:15 am Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
No, you have it all wrong. Only Kingdom Hearts is switching engines. And even then, they never confirmed that it was running on Luminous anyway. In fact, I remember there being a mention of something called the "Kingdom Shader" once upon a time.

KH3 was confirmed to be running on Luminous. Kingdom Shader is just a shader that's going to give every world a unique look. Shouldn't be much of a problem to port it to UE4.

IanC wrote:
Well... this sucks.

Have you looked at upcoming UE4 games? Almost all of them have unique looks. And there's also Guilty Gear Xrd, which is actually on UE3 and looks incredible. Don't blame the engine for the art direction.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:51 am Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
Well... this sucks.

Does this look bad to you?

That's a UE4 game currently in alpha state.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Is that Shockwave?
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:07 pm Reply with quote
To be fair that screenshot doesn't look too impressive. Looks like it could have been made as a launch for the 360.
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Whatever it takes for the game to be released. The fans arent getting any younger.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:45 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

Does this look bad to you?

Yes?

Anyway, UE4 is actually supposed to be a very good engine. Better then 3 that's for sure.

Besides there are some very looking good UE4 games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJJmajUHmQA

And even UE3 can be used to great effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppdRwaSrZJ8

As long as this actually benefits the development I see no problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Good news, they can actually work on the game now. I'm glad they're making the switch sooner than later. It'd be a disaster if they did this halfway through development. On the other hand, this is bad news for Square Enix in the long run. Luminous is looking like Crystal Tools from last gen all over again. I have a feeling we're gonna to have another FF13 situation where Luminous ends up in just FFXV and its sequels.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Is that Shockwave?

It's from Heavy Gear Assault (based off the tabletop game which was inspired by VOTOMS)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2