• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Family: Utah Man Was Cosplaying Samurai Champloo When Shot, Killed by Police

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaughingElbow

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:40 pm Reply with quote
We probably haven't heard the full story yet.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
LaughingElbow wrote:
We probably haven't heard the full story yet.
the sad thing is this is closer to the full story than the initial articles on this. seriously, one of the first articles made it sound like it was some black kid with a sword with a completely missable little line near the end of the article about how he was cosplaying. it made it sound like he was just wandering around with a sword for no reason.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Even if he was cosplaying, there must have been something odd that happened for people to call police and for the police to shoot him.

I have seen pictures of him just before the shooting, but so far I have not seen any statements from witnesses saying whether police or the victim was the aggressor.
Flame Mistress

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
Even if he was cosplaying, there must have been something odd that happened for people to call police and for the police to shoot him.

I have seen pictures of him just before the shooting, but so far I have not seen any statements from witnesses saying whether police or the victim was the aggressor.

Yeah. That "odd" thing was most likely being black.
bradc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:

Carrying unsheathe sword around or any dangerous weapon would have police suspicious.
Saturn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:

he was black and carrying a sword, so that was probably enough.
Ultimatum

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:

See, but he was shot six times. In the back. That's more than a little suspicious on the part of the police.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-utah-police-shooting-20140914-story.html

This article says that officials stated that he "lunged" at them with the sword, but the autopsy says that none of the shots were in his front. Hm.

Not to mention the article also says that witnesses saw him running away. Not attacking them. And they shot him six times, in the back.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865611349/Police-release-names-of-officers-involved-in-Saratoga-Springs-shooting-family-still-alleges-racial.html?pg=all

This link says the officers who shot him are on paid administrative leave (disgusting but no surprise). Also, Hunt's attorney mentions that there have been reports of excessive force and other civil rights violations from the police department.

So, a black man shot six times in the back by two white officers, what seems like a poor coverup by the police department, and the officers in question on paid leave? Sounds like racism and corruption to me.
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:31 pm Reply with quote
It's still too early to start pointing fingers, but I have to wonder:

*Why was he walking around with a real sword? No convention allows real weapons so why did he have one if he was cosplaying.

*What caused the first officer to fire one shot? Maybe the man wasn't cooperating when asked to drop the weapon.

*If the guy wasn't guilty of anything then why did he run? He was shot 200 yards away meaning he fled. What innocent person flees from police?

Again it's way too early to start pointing fingers but these are some interesting questions I look forward to finding the answers to.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This is what Hunt was wearing when he was killed. Compare to the character from Samurai Champloo. Was he cosplaying?

I don't really think he was cosplaying, but I admit to not reading this part before:

Quote:
Edwards also displayed a drawing of an armored character by Hunt, and handed out a Samurai Champloo image to identify Mugen.

Even if he was carrying a sword around, he had the right because of open carry laws. Swords are included in this, btw.

So, yeah.

Quote:
After one shot was fired near the credit union, Hunt was shot and killed about 200 yards away near a Panda Express restaurant.

200 YARDS? Are they even allowed to shoot that far? D:

Last edited by tygerchickchibi on Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:37 pm Reply with quote
#1 Cops lie.
#2 Cops are the perpetrator of shootings far more than anyone else
#3 Cops and in general agents of the state are protected by qualified immunity

About the sword:
Quote:
Both Utah and Ohio have open-carry laws, but the "weapon" in both of these cases was a toy—in Crawford's case an unpackaged BB gun, in Hunt's case a blunt-edged fake replica of a katana, or Japanese sword. Even if Hunt's sword had been real, it is legal to publicly carry a sword under Utah's open-carry law.

Crawford was killed for legally carrying a bb-gun and was not the aggressor. Just recently, DEA shot a grandmother who they "thought" was reaching for a gun, when she was just reaching for her baby. And because qualified immunity, police also never suffer legal consequences--like a private citizen would--for raiding the wrong house, shooting at the wrong people, nor for pulling a mother with four children over at gun point because they mistakenly thought she was waving a gun around, based on "reports", not to mention having the wrong car. Speaking of which, anyone remember the Chris Dorner incident? A Honda SUV and another Toyota Truck were absolutely riddled with bullets, causing injuring, by the cops in a case of mistaken identity and without any actual aggression from the people they shot. Maybe Dorner was right after all....
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Even if he was carrying a sword around, he had the right because of open carry laws. Swords are included in this, btw.

So, yeah

That is true, however, police still have the right to stop and question people who do carry weapons. In a world where terrorism is a major concern it isn't uncommon for officers to stop people for carrying weapons of any kind.

Last edited by Cyberphobe on Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
sakuramusicstar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:42 pm Reply with quote
From what it looks like, it seems like he wasn't cosplaying but whether he was cosplaying or not this is about how he was killed not cosplaying.

I was reading articles earlier about this which Saratoga Springs is a predominately what town which it seems like the officers felt threatened especially with a sword in his hands. The officers were racial stereotyping him as "Black man with sword?! He's dangerous!!" So the only way they felt less threatened was to shoot him and pretend like he was the attacker basically shoot first and ask later which this one of those things that definitely has to stop.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Ultimatum wrote:
Gasero wrote:

See, but he was shot six times. In the back. That's more than a little suspicious on the part of the police.

I personally would ask for more studies on those wounds. Don't forget there are generally two types of bullet holes...entrance and exit. Doctor might have some reason to just "assume" those are the entrance wounds rather than the exit.

tygerchickchibi wrote:

Quote:
After one shot was fired near the credit union, Hunt was shot and killed about 200 yards away near a Panda Express restaurant.

Read it again. It says he was shot and killed 200 yards from the credit union. They never specified where the cops were.

2020 edit: I was an idiot in 2014

Last edited by Kougeru on Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ultimatum

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:50 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:

So, yeah.

Quote:

Yep, I've seen pictures of people with REAL SHOTGUNS on their backs walking around department stores and they weren't attacked. And Utah allows open carry with a permit.

Also, for all you folks saying "well if he was fleeing he must have done something." No. Nope. It is illegal to use deadly force on someone who is running away, unless there's a significant threat of death/serious injury to officers. No officer injuries have been reported that I've heard of, and once again: Six times. In the back.

They'll probably say something like: "Well, he had a weapon, so he could have been dangerous. We had to shoot him." Six times, 200 yards away, I hate this whole thing.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
After reading this news, I have to ask this question: Is this incident going to turn into another Ferguson, Missouri??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 13