• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press Adds Kingdom Hearts Light Novel Series

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Anyone know how the quality on this is? I've seen the manga, and while I know some parts of it are decent, the artwork isn't my style. I hadn't even heard of light novels.
phia_one

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I hadn't even heard of light novels.

This is the first I'm hearing of there being light novels as well. I'm surprised that there hasn't been some sort of anime yet.
terminus24

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I knew BBS had a light novel, didn't know any other Kingdom Hearts games had any. Probably gonna give it a shot, I've come to really like LNs over the past year, and I doubt it'd be worse than the KH manga.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:49 am Reply with quote
Pretty much all of the games have a light novel based on them.

This was announced weeks ago, I'm surprised ANN just heard about it now. Nevertheless I've been wishing for this to happen for years; I'm so excited and cannot wait for this! I hope it gets enough support that they will release the other novels. If nothing else I at least want the Days and BBS novels to come over here. Please, please ;-;
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:14 am Reply with quote
Having read the light novels for KH1, KH2, and the first part to 358/2 Days several years ago in Japanese, this is good news for many. They don't take as many liberties on the story as the manga does, but they do work into the thoughts of some of the characters. For KH1, it's not as dramatic until you get to the Kairi portion, but there are chapter-by-chapter hints leading to the more enticing exchanges and KH2 gets better at that, albeit slightly more silly during the Disney world sections. From what I read, 358/2 Days was paced nearly perfect for my sensibilities and focused far more on the drama that made the game's story so interesting to me, so it's a shame I couldn't find the following volume. I'm going back in January, though, so I'll probably look for it and continue with the series.

Of course, I know a lot of people don't care for the manga as much, but I'm still a fan, so I won't say the novels are worth reading for all either. They like to speed through Disney worlds, even when there ends up being so much dramatic potential in those worlds (related to the Disney story in the game or not), so they're better meant as supplementary material to the games. I doubt people who haven't played the games will be reading them, though, anyway.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:49 am Reply with quote
This an unexpected but very welcome surprise.

The 358/2 Days novels added a lot of desperately needed backstory to the members of Organization XIII. Best part is that they are canon (I believe many of the added scenes in KH2FM+ were originally from the KH2 light novel).

That said it was a bit difficult reading the parts that were covered in the games since I've played them so many times, plus read the manga. I tried reading the KH2 novel but found myself just skimming through and reading the added content.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:20 am Reply with quote
Wow. I love Yen Press right now. I never thought we'd get the Kingdom Hearts novel. I hope it sells well, so we can get the others too.

But my wallet hates Yen Press; I'm buying the SAO, Accel World, and Index novels from them already!
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:29 pm Reply with quote
My wallet is gonna hate me.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Day one purchase, I've been very interested in the novels. I hope they put the same care into the translation that they did with the manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1