×
  • remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Terra Forms


Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
prime_pm



Joined: 06 Feb 2004
Posts: 2348
Location: Your Mother's Bedroom
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I saw Chain Chronicle feature on Hi-sCoool! Seha Girls the other week. Good references. Loved how the batteries drained out at the end.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hoppy800



Joined: 09 Aug 2013
Posts: 3331
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:12 pm Reply with quote
The FGC, people who care about social justice, and all other haters needs to learn to deal with things sometimes my god if you don't like Chloe don't play as her, simple as that. It's not something to rage about like when Monster Monpiece was being censored.

I also seen the Chain Chronicle episode of Hi-sCoool! Seha Girls and the girls made the game far more appealing and funnier than it really is.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IanC



Joined: 26 Sep 2004
Posts: 685
Location: Essex, England
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Oooooohhh Guilty Gear Xrd has English text/voices with the Japanese release (which is the version I'm waiting for to arrive). Nice surprise.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
navycherub



Joined: 26 Oct 2007
Posts: 233
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I, too, am checking out Chain Chronicle thanks to Seha Girls.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zawa113



Joined: 19 Jan 2008
Posts: 7358
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I want to buy Suikoden 2, I really do! But I keep getting this damn "an error has occurred" message whenever I try to add it to my cart (even online instead of through my PS3), I am quite upset.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
lizardking461





PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:10 pm Reply with quote
What's remarkable about the Tekken character is that American consumers were for once demanding better taste. Good on them.
Back to top
Guile



Joined: 18 Jun 2013
Posts: 595
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What's remarkable about the Tekken character is that American consumers were for once demanding better taste. Good on them.


The producer's only sin was daring to do something different in a male dominated market that is the west; because God forbid we play as a woman in a fighting game and make it anything other than a macho male only club to just help reinforce the male power fantasy. The idea that they would have to leave their comfort zone of macho, bald male soldiers frightened them, and they resorted to sexist remarks and tactics to bar females from entering their game. It was not a pretty sight.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ikillchicken



Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Posts: 7272
Location: Vancouver
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Disgusting. Game characters shouldn't just be a bunch of macho he-men designed to let American dudebros live out their sad little power fantasies! They should include women as well! Specifically, child-like fetishized sex objects that let me live out my sad little vaguely pedophilic waifu fantasies. What's that? Actual female characters that don't cater to my dick? STFU Shonen Jump Weekly!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Rahxephon91



Joined: 08 Jun 2003
Posts: 1859
Location: Park Forest IL.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Way to misconstrue and be disingenuous about something like this. Then have the audacity to try and push your east vs west rhetoric. This entire act is annoying and very typical now Guile.

Please, people's problems (while overblown) are not at all about what your trying to do in your ever increasing desire to paint the west badly while basically bowing at the knees for Japan. You're shtick is so overblown now that it's become very tired.

People dislike the character because she looks uninspired, bad, or they just don't like moe. Which is what she is. Another addition to pander to that group. Is thier something wrong with that? No. Is the hate for her overblown? Yes.

But it has nothing to do with what you're talking about which is a thinly veiled anti-western attack which is all you do on this forum. We get it. You like Japan and nothing else. There's no reason to manipulate arguments to satisfy you're own biases.

First. Harada is doing nothing"unique". There is nothing unique about a pandery moe character in a fighting game. DoA5 just added this character with Marie Rose. There have been cute young girl characters in fighting games forever. At one point Xiaoyu was the late 90's equivalent of this character. So don't be foolish and try to present something that is just another money grab as something that's defying anything. It's not. No matter how much you prefer this.

Also what a terrible spin. Trying to paint this as some progressive act. It is'nt. It's a checklist on the moe market for the Japanese scene. That's all it is. It's Namco checking off that they have a female character for every fetish. This is for the males.

Also wow how just ignorant can you be. I hate to break it to, but fighting games have had female characters for decades. Western gamers play those characters. This is not some narrow minded thing or anything. This supposed "bold space marine" thing dosen't even exist in the most popular fighting games. So I don't know where you're pulling that out of your butt beyond you're very tired anti-western crap that you pull in every single post you make.

Has the fighting game community had problems with women? Sure. I hate to break it to you, but that's everywhere. You're little paradise Japan sure dosen't fare better with women either.

This stuff is getting very annoying.


Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
strawberry-kun



Joined: 23 Feb 2008
Posts: 302
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Clearly Lucky Chloe shouldn't be in the game because I'm too much of a sensitive little flower and can't handle that other people like different characters than I do. Tekken, and every game for that matter, should cater to me and only me! Excuse me while I go cry into my pillow. Tekken is ruined because they put in a character that I don't like! Anyone who doesn't agree with me is a stupid doodyhead!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
belvadeer





PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:56 pm Reply with quote
News:

*When you say FFVII's PC port, you're referring to the improved version I take it? Nobody wants to remember the horror that was the first release.

*All I can say is it's about damn time Suikoden II was released on PSN. It was a long time coming and the wait (while aggravating for many who never got a chance to play the greatest entry in the Suikoden series and could not possibly shell out the kind of cash it takes to get a copy online) was worth it. I urge everyone to play this title, because you'll never see another quality Suikoden quite like this again (though Suikoden 5 does come very close in its execution). I must urge one warning: the translation falls to pieces after the second half of the game, so be prepared for funky Engrish phrases and the possibility of a text glitch after the final boss fight. It can happen, but it's not guaranteed. However, the story is very well-written, the characters are a colorful bunch, the battles are fun and the music is absolutely worth getting the OST for.

Quote:
Pressed for an explanation, Harada replied “Because you don't need that character, right?” and quipped that U.S. players “just want Muscle & Skinhead (with Gun or MMA style).”


Well he isn't wrong there. XD
Back to top
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 14813
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:

The producer's only sin was daring to do something different in a male dominated market that is the west; because God forbid we play as a woman in a fighting game and make it anything other than a macho male only club to just help reinforce the male power fantasy.


AFAIK, those guys didn't whine against female characters - just that particular female Chloe character. And they didn't ask for a bald macho man - that was only Harada who put that trolling in.


strawberry-kun wrote:

Clearly Lucky Chloe shouldn't be in the game because I'm too much of a sensitive little flower and can't handle that other people like different characters than I do. Tekken, and every game for that matter, should cater to me and only me! Excuse me while I go cry into my pillow. Tekken is ruined because they put in a character that I don't like! Anyone who doesn't agree with me is a stupid doodyhead!


Hey remember when they put Star Wars characters in Soul Calibur
They should do that again here
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Beatdigga



Joined: 26 Oct 2003
Posts: 4462
Location: New York
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Tekken is a series that features, in no particular order:

Kangaroos
Bears
Bruce Lee clones
Jackie Chan clones
Robots
An old guy that has literally headbutted bullets and came out on top.
Cyborg ninjas.
Two knockoffs of Tiger Mask.
Gold-Berg! Gold-Berg!

And this is the design that breaks the camels back? If you wanted to attack cute girls on the roster, news flash, you are way too late on that front! And whether the sentiment is because of SRS bidness dudebros or obnoxious Shonen Jump Weekly's, allow me to say you're full of crap.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 6118
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Gold-Berg! Gold-Berg!


Poor Craig's getting heckled with the Goldberg chants too Smile .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fedora-san



Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 464
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
And this is the design that breaks the camels back? If you wanted to attack cute girls on the roster, news flash, you are way too late on that front! And whether the sentiment is because of SRS bidness dudebros or obnoxious Shonen Jump Weekly's, allow me to say you're full of crap.


Seriously. It's like people complaining never played a Tekken game before if they think wackiness or cute girls are anything new to it. I loved playing as Roger back in the day. Harada likes to troll haters just like Kamiya does, which is why they're some of the best developers out there.

Rahxephon91 wrote:
Has the fighting game community had problems with women? Sure. I hate to break it to you, but thats everywhere. You're little paradise Japan sure dosen't fare better with women either.


Sexism is not instantly okay because it exists elsewhere. The competitive gaming scene in general is pretty bad when it comes to women. That kind of scene doesn't exist in Japan so it's safe to assume it's better by that virtue alone. MOBAs and FPSs are often cited as the worst environments for female gamers to participate in and both those scenes are either extremely niche or nonexistent in Japan. Also considering the amount of games aimed at women and starring women, it's probably safe to deduce that it's a more friendly environment towards female gamers in addition to just being a more friendly culture by default.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group