• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan Anime's Cast, Staff Unveiled

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Satelight huh? I got mixed feelings on that but the cast looks decent. I hope this airs at least Spring next year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:58 pm Reply with quote
It's a bummer KyoAni is not working on this. I wonder what they're working on for 2015 beside those Kyoukai no Kanata movies.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I think I saw enough of that world in The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. The whole point of that story is that the regular Haruhi world is better. Kyon spent the movie in absolute despair, if you recall.

I'd much rather have a proper new season of Haruhi. There's a lot of novel material to cover.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:15 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
It's a bummer KyoAni is not working on this. I wonder what they're working on for 2015 beside those Kyoukai no Kanata movies.

You mean the compmany that deicded to make the same episode 8 times (Adept with changes?)?

I think whatever is left of the Haruhi fandom is happy they're not behind it...
myskaros

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:16 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I think I saw enough of that world in The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. The whole point of that story is that the regular Haruhi world is better. Kyon spent the movie in absolute despair, if you recall.

I'd much rather have a proper new season of Haruhi. There's a lot of novel material to cover.

I would say the point was rather that, given a choice and having experienced both worlds, Kyon prefers the "real" world. This spinoff stars Yuki as the main character and a Kyon who has always lived in that world. Personally, I highly enjoy the manga, so I will definitely be checking out the anime.
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping that with so many of the original voice cast present that those who enjoyed the earlier anime will not be disappointed.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:32 pm Reply with quote
So happy this is being animated. Nothing in the lead up will make me unhappy, seeing the final product could. Laughing

Yuki-chan is my favourite ongoing manga right now. I liked what I saw/read of this world in Disappearance. Now we get a look at that Earth as if it was totally its own universe, the original Disappearance story has no impact on this manga's story.

It's been a fun ride to see this other version of Yuki getting centre stage. I really like the main cast of Yuki, Kyon and Ryoko.
Animexcel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm so glad to hear the cast are reprising their roles! I was kinda sad about the character design change, but finding out that Ikuko Ito is doing them makes me feel better since I'm a fan of Maho Tsukai Tai!
bastek66

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Reminder: Kadokawa is owner of Haruhi, not Kyoani
Kyoani had contracted two seasons and movie. They aren't going to make more seasons.
Yuki anime is part of promotion of pachinko with Haruhi. Which are owner by Satelight's owner.
LN writer didn't write anything for over 3 years.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
And people were worried about Aya Hirano.

Although I'm still following the manga, after 5+ volumes it's gotten rather redundant and going nowhere. But as far as alternative-world romantic-comedy spin-offs go, it's still a million times better than Shinji Ikari Raising Project, and I still appreciate seeing all the familiar characters as they are in this world.

Having said all that, it's my personal hope this will be a 13-episode series where the story feels more self-contained and stops at a good point, I'm predicting it'll be spoiler[right after Yuki's split-personality arc and Kyon's confession]. That background music from the site sounds nice as well!
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:49 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

You missed the entire point all together. It wasn't that the other world was better, it was that given the choice between living the normal high school life that Kyon thought he always wanted and living in a world where paranormal things were happening all around him he decided the exciting life was the way to go. It wasn't that there was anything necessarily wrong with the world Nagato made and Kyon did consider staying since everyone was together again and they could still do their activities, but he'd miss the adventures. This will be more like a romantic comedy version of the series rather than the supernatural comedy of the original series.

Quote:

This we agree on, though that doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to this.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
You missed the entire point all together. It wasn't that the other world was better, it was that given the choice between living the normal high school life that Kyon thought he always wanted and living in a world where paranormal things were happening all around him he decided the exciting life was the way to go.

And the regular Haruhi world was what had those things, and therefore was better. QED.

Seems like I got the point just fine. Why would I want to watch the Haruhi world if it didn't have espers, time travelers, and aliens? The entire conceit of the Disappearance film is that Kyon's life, and therefore the entire Haruhi concept, characters included, is more interesting the way it was before.

Otherwise it's just a dime-a-dozen school ensemble slice-of-life show with not much new to offer. They're essentially intentionally making a less interesting version of Haruhi according to the very philosophy of the main product itself, which is that life is more interesting when weird things occur.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I-Ikuko.... Ito?

Sigh... If only she could have done Sailor Moon Crystal....
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I'd think that by now they could determine which season of '15 that they will release it on.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Satelight huh? I was not expecting that. If this works okay as a standalone I may have to check it out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3