• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Spear of Longinus Crowdfunding Project Now Accepting International Backers

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
If they didn't limit backers outside of Japan to the ¥t5000 and ¥50,000 pledges, they might meet or exceed their budget. I would like to know the justifications of mainly reserving this for Japan.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:53 pm Reply with quote
The project page only states:
Quote:
For supporters outside of Japan:

Those seeking rewards for donations other than amounts of 5,000 or 50,000 yen will be handled individually.

So it doesn't sound like they're forbidding foreign backers from pledging other tiers, but it also sounds like they're not guaranteeing the other tiers will be available either.
animemaster1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:21 pm Reply with quote
9.4 inch spear. That's funny. Well, I guess we can't really expect the full size one to be made and sent up there. But still. They should just call it the Toothpick of Longinus
Wrangler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:28 pm Reply with quote
It's just down right fanatical about wanting to this.

It sound cool on one level Exclamation and embarrassing on another. Embarassed
ParaSitius

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I have money to burn, I was all set to slap down 10,000 yen when I spotted the paragraph that basically read "Rei Ayanami set not available to those outside Japan".

Well, screw you then.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Opening the Campaign for international Backers now, only 5-6 days before the deadline (depending on where one's living), and not when the Campaign started is something that I can't comprehend. They could've gained close to 3 months of international backing (or at least the possibility of gaining backing from international sources) instead of less than a week... Confused
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I would like to know the justifications of mainly reserving this for Japan.

Security reason, perhaps? But yeah I agreed there are a lot of wealthy donors outside of Japan that can help them with this project.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Madoka...AYUKAWA!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Pure idiocy.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Madoka...AYUKAWA! wrote:
Pure idiocy.

At least they have the passion for this space mission. At least they will put in the effort to make it work. While some may not consider this a worthwhile endeavor, any interest in space travel and exploration is good. Whether the mission fails or succeeds, lessons will be learned. Hopefully, others will be infected by that interest.

Coming from a country that pays the Russians to put our astronauts into space, it is heartening to see this level of interest.
Fabe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:25 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Madoka...AYUKAWA! wrote:
Pure idiocy.

At least they have the passion for this space mission. At least they will put in the effort to make it work. While some may not consider this a worthwhile endeavor, any interest in space travel and exploration is good. Whether the mission fails or succeeds, lessons will be learned. Hopefully, others will be infected by that interest.

Coming from a country that pays the Russians to put our astronauts into space, it is heartening to see this level of interest.

Well said. I'm willing to bet the real goal if this mission is to develop new space tech and the whole Eva connection is just a gimmick to raise money.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Can we pay them to NOT do this?
Fabe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Can we pay them to NOT do this?

why?
Madoka...AYUKAWA!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Fabe wrote:

Well said. I'm willing to bet the real goal if this mission is to develop new space tech and the whole Eva connection is just a gimmick to raise money.

They should ask for money for a serious project not this kind of idiot thing and more idiotic to support this with all due respect and a an eva fan as well.

There are all kind of crowd-funding projects and too many..."nuts" people supporting them when a lot can be done with the resources put on something as idiotic as this, and I am not necessarily saying you have to donate to altruistic purposes, but seriously put money and this? Its almost shameful.

{Edit: Please don't over-quote. Thanks. ~ Psycho 101}
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote
It is all a matter of personal perspective. I'd rather have them doing this, than not doing anything space related at all.
Fabe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:38 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
It is all a matter of personal perspective. I'd rather have them doing this, than not doing anything space related at all.

Hear,Hear. The technology being used today to place a trinket on the moon today could be used to place the foundation of a lunar base tomorrow.

P.S for those of you who think this is just about a anime show here's what they're really trying to do
http://lunar.xprize.org/about/overview
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2