• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime and Manga Releases

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Hello, I've suddenly become one of those annoying people who asks a lot of questions. Though...

I was wondering if the UK and Australian news threads can have a weekly or monthly release schedule similar to the North American Anime and Mange Releases *dates specified*. I find myself using that list to gage an idea of when UK releases might be, if released at all.

If a weekly article wouldn't be worthwhile a monthly article could work as it could list all releases for the up coming month. Any titles that were omitted or announced after the article is posted can be added to the following month's.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:13 pm Reply with quote
The UK and Australia are unimportant. So, no. You may not have what you are asking for.

Wink
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:24 pm Reply with quote
You'd know, Canadian. The only reason your releases are listed is because you piggyback on the USA's coattails Wink
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:26 pm Reply with quote
You Canadians can talk when you get your own accent. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quote
@TsunaReborn!
It is not as though the release dates are that accurate. For instance, some of the manga titles listed this week actually shipped to comic shops last week. Also it is not unusual for me to see an anime listed as coming out that I have already received and watched.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Alan, they may not be 100% accurate at least means you are aware that a new volume or series is out or going to be released shortly. For the UK at least we have a longish delay for manga I.e. Claymore 26 is released mid April over here.

Oh Blood if it wasn't for the unimportant UK Canada wouldn't be half the country it is now Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:08 pm Reply with quote
The only problem I see with that is that if something ships early it could easily sell out before you go in to look for it.

I preorder manga through the local comic shop. The distributor solicits comics, and graphic novels (along with a lot of merchandise) in a large catalog each month. It is usually for delivery two months in the future, though that is not hard and fast. In the January catalog Viz listed a number of volumes to be shipped in March.

Claymore 26 was received on March 4th its official due date. Requiem of the Rose King and Ranma 1/2 were supposed to ship March 11th but were actually received February 25th. I'm not sure when the titles actually show in book stores.

I expect the answer to your question will depend on if the distributor or distributors of manga in the UK actually establish and publish formal street dates for titles.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:44 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
You Canadians can talk when you get your own accent. Razz

You have clearly never talked with a Newfie. Shocked

I'm sure my beloved common tongue comrades know I'm just taking the piss. In fact, due to my upcoming purchase of an all-region BD player, I'll be very interested in non-R1 releases - especially ones that will save me a ton o' cash by bypassing AoA's obscene prices.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:56 am Reply with quote
@TsunaReborn!
Yesterday I got several Viz manga titles that were not due to be released until April 8th. This according to their solicitation in the January Diamond Previews. This is the second month in a row they have been early.

I'm not complaining, but this is very surprising. Weeks to months late used to be normal for Viz.

I'm beginning to wonder of official release dates mean anything at all.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:21 am Reply with quote
Did you preorder online or buy in store? Online retails such as Amazon will ship out products early so that they will reach the customer "on time". This used to happen a lot with games as customers would come into the store to trade in titles that hadn't been released yet as they were shipped much earlier from online. We used to get titles into the store a week or so in advance but couldn't sell or display them until the release date due to retail regulations in the UK.

If a store sold a title early all stores in that town/city were legally able to do the same so not to loose out on potential revenue.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:16 am Reply with quote
The comic shop in Edinburgh often gets Kodansha stuff in early and puts it out. I often get Kodansha things between a week and 2 weeks early. Viz is variable depending on the title and Yen Press is usually at least 2 weeks late. Release dates don't mean anything to me.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:36 am Reply with quote
True but I still find myself missing releases because I don't check Amazon regularly for release dates nor do I preorder titles because they are normally cheaper from sellers on Amazon compared to Amazon itself. My guess is I'm not the only one.

Maybe I should start popping release dates in my calendar. I did raise the initial question as the U.S. feed gets weekly release dates given in a wee article but the UK and Australian feeds don't though they do get their own news articles - it would be nice to have something similar, even if not 100% accurate (as in sure the U.S. one isn't every time). Don't worry, I'm not going to keep soapboxing this "want" of mine Wink

Owly, it's a shame I don't have stores like yours around here as Waterstones is the only retailer that would sell manga and the section there is abysmal, it's full of older volumes of the bigger shonen series plus a few shoujo titles.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:14 am Reply with quote
@TsunaReborn!
That wee article is fun to look at but mostly useless. I don't know where they get their prospective dates for manga, but they seldom match when I get the volumes.

With anime, they apparently are using the "street date" set by the publisher. This is the date you will see on TRSI or RACS web site for upcoming releases. However, for most of the anime publishers here, this is just a target. Sometimes they don't have the stock ready yet, usually indicating a problem. Most often, they ship to the dealers as soon as the disks are ready. They do this because the retailers have to pay on receipt and it helps their cash flow. The online retailers, at least, ship when they receive the disks. This is often a couple of weeks before "street date". Again, the retailer charges for the disk when shipped and it helps their cash flow. In some cases this year I have received notice that a title was in, ordered and received it and had finished watching it before the ANN article said it was shipping.
Dfens

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:41 pm Reply with quote
For me the weekly release article isn't needed since it is just a mirror of the street date off of RightStuf.

And if you check Rightstuf often enough it allows you to see titles by publisher or search by the specific name etc. A example I didn't even know about Black Lagoon volume 10 of the manga was even being published came across it when I was browsing Viz titles on sale and it was included. Turns out it comes out in April so I plan on pre-ordering it.

Now with Rightstuf if you are paying for shipping your items will ship early before street date if they have said item in their warehouse before release date. In my case I usually order enough for free shipping and they make me wait on average 2 extra weeks after street date which I don't mind.

TsunaReborn! if you are not importing Anime/Manga and instead are buying your local UK domestic releases then you are just going to have to regularly check Amazon UK for items and their street dates.

Do what I do I have a simple doc or txt file of all items I think or plan on ordering with prices and dates. It helps me keep track of it all and when to order for the best prices.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:47 pm Reply with quote
@Dfens
I got my copy of Black Lagoon volume 10 from the comic shop on Wednesday (and read it yesterday). It is one of the Viz titles I mentioned came out two weeks early. That is why street date is not all that useful. It is a target not something set in stone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2