• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Learn the Basics of Conversational English with Kinmoza! Kiniro + Mosaic

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:37 pm Reply with quote
ANN wrote:
he cover illustration, showing the cast in (allegedly) British school uniforms

I don't know... that looks quite similar to a British school uniform. The design here also looks similar, just changing the color palette.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...Britain presented in the anime that might have gone over the viewers' heads, like the correct pronunciation of "Alice" (Arisu in a Japanese accent), summer festivals in Britain, and what that British picture book was that Alice and Shinobu were reading.

Brownie points will be awarded for depicting any of the following therein:

• Incessant rain
  • Overcooked hamburgers, invariably referred to simply as 'burgers'
  • Decreasingly chilled Pimm's
  • Squash/Ribena for the children (delete where applicable as socioeconomic circumstances dictate)
  • Passive-aggressive baking contests
  • Idle conversations consisting mainly of apologies
  • Covert class warfare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:03 pm Reply with quote
What a cute way of learning English. I can't wait for the second season and the eventual third season after that.
consignia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:

I don't know... that looks quite similar to a British school uniform. The design here also looks similar, just changing the color palette.

I'd tend to agree with the idea they aren't genuine British uniforms. Maybe a private school in the middle of nowhere if you lost the bows.

Quote:

Brownie points will be awarded for depicting any of the following therein:
<LIST>

Couple more:

• Getting cold food then punching your producer
  • Getting drunk then appearing on Question Time
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Learning a new language is more fun when cute girls are involved. Anime smile
Nerroth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how awkward it would have been for the authors of this book had Scotland voted Yes in the recent independence referendum...

That said, one wonders how the book might refer to other parts of the UK, not least Northern Ireland. Would they have to include at least a basic explanation of the situation in the island of Ireland, in order to help distinguish between NI and the Republic of Ireland?
TG72

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I won't take this as a sign, but it would be nice to have some episodes or an OVA where the group goes to England. The first season's ED video showed them there, after all.
CrimsonTopaz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:55 am Reply with quote
My school uniform was NOT that cool I can tell you Confused Geography and home nations aside, I actually like this idea! (Hope they don't forget the ancient kingdom of Northumbria Wink )
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
will explain parts of the English dialogue that are difficult for Japanese speakers to understand

As a native English speaker, they should also provide translations for those native English speakers as well. The English spoken in the series was absolutely terrible.

Frankly, I never understood why studios use Japanese voice actors who can't speak English to speak in English. It's not like there is any shortage of westerns available who will work for the same ¥1100/hr and would give a little authenticity to the roles. Typically the English roles are not terribly large anyway.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:03 pm Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
Frankly, I never understood why japanese studios use Japanese voice actors who can't speak English to speak in English.

1) Because the target audience can't tell (or care for) the difference between british english, east coast english, australian english and gibberish (sometimes they just say "pera pera").

2) Because the target audience can tell when an english speaker can't act in japanese.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:49 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:

Frankly, I never understood why japanese studios use Japanese voice actors who can't speak English to speak in English.

1) Because the target audience can't tell (or care for) the difference between british english, east coast english, australian english and gibberish (sometimes they just say "pera pera").

And that's why Hollywood does the same thing! Laughing
(Also for other languages like Spanish.)
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:16 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
And that's why Hollywood does the same thing! Laughing
(Also for other languages like Spanish.)

I think you meant to say usa TV/Cable productions (aka the small screen), since hollywood's (aka the big screen) target market is the whole wide world (even independent films target at the very least to win international awards)..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1