• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yoru no Yatterman (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:43 pm Reply with quote

Yoru no Yatterman

Genres: Adventure
Themes:

Plot Summary:
Quote:
The Yatterman took control of the Dorombo Gang after a long fight, but the Yatterman Kingdom they created is not at peace. The kingdom is impoverished, and the people lament their tyrannical government. Standing against them is Leopard, a descendent of Yatterman's defeated rivals. She inherits the name Doronjo and becomes her successor, entering the Yatterman Kingdom with the intent of taken on the despised Yatterman.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yL9mGc5gbiU

I think this show might of been overlooked by some but after seeing the PV and premise, I think it could have potential. Kinda curious to see how the director will pull this off considering most of his previous roles were involved with handling animation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

And the award for best story within in a first episode for the season, goes to Yoru no Yatterman.

The episode started off making me groan in looking like a cute girls doing cute things show, but it spoiler[suddenly and violently changes by going apocalypse], and from there is becomes an interesting story. I am not familiar with the original franchise, so I can only make guess on what I have seen, but it looks like we are seeing a case where the good guys turned bad while the villains have become the good guys.

I thought the story of the spoiler[little girl looking up to the "heroes" before having the violently betrayed], was superb. It actually got me to cry a little.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:16 am Reply with quote
well i think we found the unexpected hidden sleeper anime of this season to watch.

ep.1
spoiler[
years ago meteor shower attack cue after effect where pregnant women named dorothy visit graveyard then her 2 friends volt & eleph by her side then it's time cause here come her daughter leopard.

so times were fine with leopard like to read even tales of how yatterman being heroes then one day she enter storage house found pic of doronbo gang give they are all descendants of them yet live in exile due to war cause of it due atone for the sins of the doronbo.

so on leopard's 9th birthday everything fine til her mom dorothy got sick so worry to do get boat with help from volt & eleph get to yatter kingdom for medicine help then here yatterman but it "TWIST" they got ray guns to "ding" set for kill?!

give boat got destroy yet they survive leopard got a vision talk with her mom going to heaven & etc then she passed away.

leopard going why give yatterman were the heroes yet all happen question who are heroes & bad guys so take up lead new era doronbo with volt & eleph to join to go invade yatter kingdom.]
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:50 pm Reply with quote
It is hard to express beyond "it was good" when a first episode is this superb for its premise.
Unless you don't like the mix of cartoony hyjinx mixed with very well executed emotional scenes, this is pretty much one of the strongest ep1 hooks one can make for this season of releases.
xifeng.hu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't originally going to watch this one but I saw the pilot reviews and decided to give it a shot. Definitely not disappointed by the pilot episode. I'm not normally one for superhero stuff but the premise of ambiguous morality (no clearly defined hero/villian) is very captivating in this series so far. The fact that the "heroes" are portrayed as the "villians" is quite interesting. spoiler[Since the "villian's" descendants are just cast aside and the Yatterman are not even willing to hear why the "villians'" descendants are approaching shows a "We are Holier than Thou" attitude which is not a heroic trait.]
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:25 am Reply with quote
I know any whiff of allegory can wrinkle people's noses but here's a reading of Yatterman Night that came to me as I watched the first episode.

The Yatterman Kingdom represents the triumpant first world of the cold war era (when Yatterman originally aired) and the Dorombo Gang the defeated communist bloc and its third world client states.

Move forward 38 years (from the original series) and we, the Yatterman Kingdom, have become untouchable and corrupted. All around the world innocent people seek to enter our countries - boat people in Australia and the Mediterranean, border crossers into the US - to share in our priviledges. We hunt them down, turn them back, allow them to die. We have become the villains. We intervene in other nations' affairs; we strip them of their resources.

Leopard's boat journey with her friends represents the plight of people trying to find a better life for themselves in another country. The Yatterman response is our response to these people.

Our actions are creating resistance, ie the rebirth of the Dorombo Gang with Leopard its inspirational third world leader. We are creating the terrorists that cause us grief. We refuse to see the world from their point of view. We try to wall them off.

Makes you think, no? I wonder if this show will continue to show the courage of its initial convictions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:43 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Makes you think, no?

I did not really connect anything like that before, but it does make me think now. Turning the boats away is actually a pretty big topic in Australia, I guess that I am kind of one of the idealists that largely gets angry the government for how the handle it. I do know that things need to be done, but walls, unnecessary violence, and perhaps a few other things. Don't help in some ways.

Edit Note: I said "unmercenary violence" instead "unnecessary violence", that sounds bad somehow.

Last edited by DuskyPredator on Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:53 am Reply with quote
I share your idealism re boat people. Being such a big topic in Australia was what had me intrepreting the episode that way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 2:

spoiler[Great chemistry between the three main characters]. While it's amusing to watch, I also thought it was kinda charming to spoiler[see how close the trio is becoming.]

That aside, the spoiler[show retains its energy and has a bit of craziness (not on the same level as Rolling Girls though imo). Oh and the OP theme song is good.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I get the feeling this show is going to be far more effective when things aren't happening than when they are.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Maybe I am on a little high from how good the first episode was, but I found the second to also be incredibly good that I can't help but ask how this show could keep up this quality.

She started her plan for taking on the role like anyone who spoiler[aims to have the villain role, by practicing the evil laugh]. Interesting that Leopard was not able to realise that things are spoiler[bad for some of the citizens within at least the outskirts of the city].

And from what I can presume from what we saw, the spoiler[blind girl that they went into the house of is a descendant of an original Yatterman]. She seems like a spoiler[good person, and based on what she said I think that she or her line has been abandoned by the rest of Yatterman and she is waiting for the other (an angel) to take her back]. The ED seems to imply that she will be spoiler[part of the Yatterman team and it looks like a good side, but I wonder what this actually means].

I have seen some people complain around that the tone is too all over the place where drama and comedy keep making small parts and swapping places, but I am not finding it hard to follow at all. I did not watch the original series, but I saw my fair share of the Pokémon anime and get a good idea of them as similar to Team Rocket, sudden spoiler[silly mecha and tandem bicycles] are to be expected. A number of these silly moments are a vehicle to show the traits of Doronbow, I think of how they can spoiler[do the same silly things but actually get hunted down] is part of a message of how different things are.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:27 am Reply with quote
ep.2

spoiler[brief flashback had leopard's mom searching for a angel that lead her have time with her daughter as a baby.

forward to now new doronbo trio having tea & leaves plan wonder get into yatter kingdom so train tunnel they go even build a cart go full charge in even through the water.

so now new doronbo called out yatterman here they so give big robot hand flip & look like they did it but those yatterman are machines yet here come more of them so combine missile cue retreat for now.

yet on the run give ask people to hide yet saying yatterman no shelter for them cause yatterman-bots on the full pursuit & terminate mode give manage to escape jump of the dam.

so main trio give find house sneak to dry clothes then yet a female enter going who is there yet saw her main 3 trio had dorothy remind feeling.

& female give hand touch (give look like she is blind) to leopard's face go like the angel is here.

(2eps in so either somehow SKYNET got trigger in this series or who knows what next?) ]
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:16 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
I know any whiff of allegory can wrinkle people's noses but here's a reading of Yatterman Night that came to me as I watched the first episode.

The Yatterman Kingdom represents the triumpant first world of the cold war era (when Yatterman originally aired) and the Dorombo Gang the defeated communist bloc and its third world client states.

Move forward 38 years (from the original series) and we, the Yatterman Kingdom, have become untouchable and corrupted. All around the world innocent people seek to enter our countries - boat people in Australia and the Mediterranean, border crossers into the US - to share in our priviledges. We hunt them down, turn them back, allow them to die. We have become the villains. We intervene in other nations' affairs; we strip them of their resources.

Leopard's boat journey with her friends represents the plight of people trying to find a better life for themselves in another country. The Yatterman response is our response to these people.

Our actions are creating resistance, ie the rebirth of the Dorombo Gang with Leopard its inspirational third world leader. We are creating the terrorists that cause us grief. We refuse to see the world from their point of view. We try to wall them off.

Makes you think, no? I wonder if this show will continue to show the courage of its initial convictions.

You're not the only one! I definitely thought of refugees seeking shelter in a 1st world country that will literally shoot at them for trying to find a better life. I don't know if this is what the writers intended, but a boat with an innocent child on board being shot at by faceless robots who don't even try to listen to its reasons definitely brings up the idea of refugees and illegal aliens to me.

Another allegorical concept is the idea of the current Doronbow gang being punished for the sins of their ancestors, like how Japan and Germany are treated with caution because of their roles in WWII. Of course, both Japan and Germany are 1st world countries, so their experience isn't like that of the Doronbow descendant's poverty, but the idea of the current generation judged for the sins of a past one is definitely there.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:05 am Reply with quote
I don't know about this one. I loved Zvezda by episode 1. I loved Gatchaman Crowds by episode 1. This series has similarities to both, but hasn't hooked me nearly as much. I'm intrigued a bit at where it's going, but not in love with it. The humor tends to fall flat, the emotional drama is simplistic and heavyhanded, and action is serviceable but not spectacular, it seems to do everything "well enough," but nothing to the degree that makes it stand out. If they don't improve things soon then this will roll off the bottom of my viewing list, like Gundam Reconguista and Vanadis did last season.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:44 am Reply with quote
@ Ohoni
I think that there is a difference in message. I think that Gatchaman Crowds did was kind of question how a positive outlook can get things done in a more peaceful way than fear and violence actually in a number of those shows. Also brings up that there are some valid good ideas that can make society much more connected and it can be good. While Zvezda was kind of random where it played with tropes of a villain team, messed with the characters and sympathy.

Have you seen the Pokémon anime? I think many 20 something anime viewers and lower are more likely to see that than the original series this is based on, and I think the knowledge might cross over. The Team Rocket villains are goofy, they aim to do a stereotypically evil things, so following the formulae they need to get an almost silly mecha, have mild success and than lose. What we saw in the episode was that in this situation they are getting hunted down, something that totally clashes with the hero vs silly villain code. Rather than looking at the silly bits as just trying to get a laugh, I see it more as them trying to match their roles, and how in some ways that is not working.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4