• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Lends IP to DeNA to Make Smartphone Games

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorZero

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:50 am Reply with quote
I would've bought Mario or Zelda for my tablet, but we all know it's just means more F2P garbage with a big name on it.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:23 am Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
I would've bought Mario or Zelda for my tablet, but we all know it's just means more F2P garbage with a big name on it.

"Thank you Mario, but our princess is in another purchase!"
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:11 am Reply with quote
So beside the new console, NX. We're now seeing Nintendo taking advantage of smartphone market (which is the opposite of what Sony is running away from). I wonder what Nintendo is up to? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RoverTX

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:14 am Reply with quote
A 3rd party developing Nintendo properties. This couldn't possibly end badly... Rolling Eyes
MajorZero

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:30 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
I wonder what Nintendo is up to? Confused

More Pokemon Shuffle? I'll eat my hat if it's gonna be something worthwhile.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:42 am Reply with quote
I think Nintendo is taking a serious risk entering the smartphone market. Looks like we'll have to see how this third-party co-op plays out.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:47 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I think Nintendo is taking a serious risk entering the smartphone market. Looks like we'll have to see how this third-party co-op plays out.

Well that would depend, I'm seeing video game publisher taking the smartphone seriously. Like Activision has already made several Call of Duty games for smartphones. Rockstar Game already release GTA 3, Vice City, and GTA: San Andreas for smartphone and they have sold so well. So I don't see what kind of risk Nintendo is facing?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
varmintx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:54 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
"Thank you Mario, but our princess is in another purchase!"

Meme-worthy.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:20 am Reply with quote
^ It's already been done. In a diagram explaining how bad DLC and Microtransactions are, someone once you used that as an example.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:36 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
(which is the opposite of what Sony is running away from).

Sony isn't technically running away from mobile. It's just this one particular initiative that didn't work out so well that's being shut down along with their own troubled mobile division.

They'll look for other avenues to expand into mobile through stuff like possibly PSNow.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:41 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
(which is the opposite of what Sony is running away from).

Sony isn't technically running away from mobile. It's just this one particular initiative that didn't work out so well that's being shut down along with their own troubled mobile division.

They'll look for other avenues to expand into mobile through stuff like possibly PSNow.

Yeah well Sony has said on record they could exit from TV and phone production. I'm afraid it could become true because I'm seeing a lot of good smartphones from both South Korea and Mainland China even outdoing ones from Japan in term of software, hardware, and sales.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:50 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
jdnation wrote:

Yeah well Sony has said on record they could exit from TV and phone production. I'm afraid it could become true because I'm seeing a lot of good smartphones from both South Korea and Mainland China even outdoing ones from Japan in term of software, hardware, and sales.

I wouldn't trust the ones from mainland China, they may put spy software in them for their government to spy on you and could be used by cybergangs over there to take your money, we already have the NSA to worry about, it's best not to make things worse.

I wish that these mobile developers realize that people will buy a priced game on mobile if it's reasonable and they retool F2P as a demo and once you reach a certain point in the game, then you can buy the full game.

{Edit: Please don't over-quote. Thanks. ~ Psycho 101}
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:22 pm Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
A 3rd party developing Nintendo properties. This couldn't possibly end badly... Rolling Eyes

Acting as if Nintendo isn't going to keep quality control on a tight leash after that. Seriously, I wish there was a way for Nintendo to start scouring the internet and putting a stop to conspiracy theories because I can see too many threads becoming outright INSUFFERABLE because of this.
SpeckTech

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Would anyone like an appetizer for their meal? It's on mobile. Your entree will be served on console however. If you're wondering about dessert, it's on handheld.

Yay metaphors.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

I wish that these mobile developers realize that people will buy a priced game on mobile if it's reasonable and they retool F2P as a demo and once you reach a certain point in the game, then you can buy the full game.

I agree with you on that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2