• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Set List - Top 10 OPs of 2004

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:59 am Reply with quote
We have threads running about Sailor Moon and UY, and we're nostalgic for 2004?? Shocked
("George Bush Jr. was re-elected"...Yeah, and pretty much caused seven entire years to blur by in an uneventful loop until Obama was elected, and then we all thought "What happened to the decade??")

And while Phoenix was better, Kero to March just stuck in your head with aggressiveness--
It was the soul of the show, while the rest were just fancy.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Casting my vote for Tenjou Tenge. The show was...meh. But that OP was pretty nice. Probably the best part of the show for me lol.
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:14 pm Reply with quote
2004. When shonen tournament/adventure series where still a thing.

Edit: Are you gonna do this for other years too? Wanna see what 2007 looks like in your view.

Last edited by Mr.Shonen on Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:14 pm Reply with quote
That looks like a solid list to me. I felt lost after the first entries, but I was able to recognize most of the top entries. I really like BECK's opening.
Kurama4Ever!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Wow this really makes me realize just how many animes older than 2007-ish there are that I actually haven't seen. There are only 2 in the video that I have even seen a single episode of (Sgt. Frog and Elfen Lied) and only 4 in the voting options (the 2 I mentioned and Desert Punk and This Ugly Yet Beautiful World).
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:43 pm Reply with quote
So here's the list, if anyone is interested:

10. Unlimited, by Nanase Aikawa (Samurai 7)
9. 'Hi no tori' Opening Theme, by Min Chen, Mio Isayama, and Czech Philharmonic Orchestra (Phoenix)
8. KERO! to MARCH, by Nobuaki Kakuda and Juri Ihata (Sgt. Frog)
7. Bomb A Head! V, by m.c.A.T. (Tenjho Tenge)
6. Battlecry, by Nujabes feat. SHING02 (Samurai Champloo)
5. Lilium, by Kumiko Noma (Elfen Lied)
4. Rise, by ORIGA (Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2nd GIG)
3. Hit in the USA, by Beat Crusaders (BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad)
2. Grain, by Kuniaki Haishima (Monster)
1. Yume no Shima Shinen Kouen, by Susumu Hirasawa (Paranoia Agent)

Hah, the only series I've seen from this list is Paranoia Agent Anime smile + sweatdrop (don't judge my backlog!). The music for Ghost in the Shell and Monster was gorgeous though, and I could see myself watching the opening several times (I tend to watch the OP and ED once and then skip 'em unless they're really good).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:44 pm Reply with quote
My favorite would probably be Paranoia Agent too.

Other faves would be Tenjo Tenge, Air, OPs 1 and 2 of Bleach (moreso the 2nd), Elfen Lied, GITS:SAC 2nd Gig (real shame about Origa Crying or Very sad ), Nanoha, Monster, School Rumble, and Rozen Maiden. Maybe Sgt. Frog too.

I absolutely adore the OP of Kannazuki no Miko. Haven't seen the show (haven't heard good things about it, either), but I am a huge fan of KOTOKO's singing voice. Nothing else about the OP stands out to me, just that (I usually don't pay attention to lyrics in anime OPs).
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Great list. I think I have at least half of the songs on there on my ipod. If nothing else, it's interesting to see how many shows that came out in the same year and how many of them I still go back to whenever somebody asks to watch something interesting with me. I suppose I would have realized that these shows came out around the same time since I watched them through TV/DVD around 2006-07.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Rozen Maiden, Samurai Champloo, Elfen Lied, Monster. A lot of good shows from 11 years ago (damn! I'm getting old, fast Crying or Very sad ).
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Tori no Uta, Re-sublimity and Secret World are still some of my favorite songs to this day. Good god, I'm feeling old right now.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Paranoia Agent's top spot is well deserved IMO (although I'm sure my icon betrays my bias!). That opening theme, both in terms of visuals and how it sounds is SO unique that it really makes the show stand out from the crowd--which makes sense, since the show itself is pretty unique.

I'm still really sad that Kon passed away so young, that he never did another TV show (since Paranoia Agent is my second favorite anime of all time), and that we're probably never going to see his last movie fully finished. I don't think there's been a creator death in my time in fandom that's stung more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
varmintx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:54 pm Reply with quote
When Battlecry can only make it to #6, you know that was one hell of year for OPs.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I was waiting for Metamorphose to show up on the poll. It's one of Yoko Takahashi's best songs (even if the show itself sucks).
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I find it serendipitous that the number one spot was from something I'm watching right now. In fact, I'm viewing Paranoia Agent for the second time in my life before starting on Welcome to the NHK (as part of my third attempt at watching the latter all the way through). The show is absolutely brilliant, and it's opening fits perfectly. There's a funny story behind the upbeat tone; apparently, because the show had a late night timeslot, the creators had to make the song as loud and energetic as possible as a sort of wake-up call for it's audience.

While Hope briefly touched on it, I did want to share something about the opening animation. Notice that Tsukiko is holding her shoes while standing on the edge of a building. In Japanese culture, when someone is about to commit suicide by jumping off the top of a structure, they usually take off their shoes before they take the final leap (See also Madoka Magica Episode Two). Fitting, for a series about running away from your problems and refusing to take responsibility for your own faults...

EDIT: If there's any grammar mistakes, I'm writing this in the middle of the night where I am. Couldn't sleep. Laughing

Last edited by Akane the Catgirl on Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheTsunami

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Fully agree with Paranoia Agent at #1. 2004 was a great year for anime in general (beyond just opening themes, of which I can off the top of my head list a dozen that are still on my anime music playlist). As for the poll, I threw in votes for Gankutsuou and Genshiken's themes.

Akane the Catgirl wrote:
I find it serendipitous that the number one spot was from something I'm watching right now. In fact, I'm viewing Paranoia Agent for the second time in my life before starting on Welcome to the NHK (as part of my third attempt at watching the latter all the way through).

Hopefully you enjoy the latter better than I did. I just finally finished it this week after trying to get through it off and on since it first aired.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5